A fresh look at the newcomers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    I'm confused. After the last couple games, I had been thinking his name was Sack Brown.
    Dino refers to him as Sackie.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      Dino refers to him as Sackie.
      He's gonna get really confused tomorrow if Rauno has a big game. He'll be calling them Ronnie and Raunie.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        He's gonna get really confused tomorrow if Rauno has a big game. He'll be calling them Ronnie and Raunie.
        Maybe he'll be Nurgie.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          My only real criticism of Zach Brown was the wide open shot from the left wing, he should have shot the two, but looked down at the line, stepped back (probably traveled) and missed the three. Once again, I love his length. Looked like a senior on the line the last time (really all times, even the miss). He was a slasher at Sunrise and before. When he puts it ALL together,he is going to be one tough load.
          There was a time when coaches hated that. But lately they've realized that if you're going to take a 19-foot 2-pointer, why not step back and take the 20-foot 3-pointer. 5% more risk for 50% more reward.

But yeah, I think he traveled, too.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            My only real criticism of Zach Brown was the wide open shot from the left wing, he should have shot the two, but looked down at the line, stepped back (probably traveled) and missed the three. Once again, I love his length. Looked like a senior on the line the last time (really all times, even the miss). He was a slasher at Sunrise and before. When he puts it ALL together,he is going to be one tough load.
            I agree. If Coach agrees, I predict that Brown will never do that again.

Comment

David Kyles did that kind of stuff all the time, he would even pull up from 3 on some fast breaks. He was a 40% 3 pt shooter. I have no idea what Zach Brown's normal percentage is but he was at 71% when he took that step back. Until he stops making them, i say he can step back all he wants.

Comment

Morris needs to figure out how to continue playing aggressively without fouling so often. It is like he doesn't understand you can't push someone in the back lol. I think Nurger has more potential to help this team come March than shaq. When Nurger blocked one of Hawaiis guards toward the end of game I smiled pretty big. Nurgers size with his speed, athleticisim, and shooting ability are very rare. I know some of you will hate this, but he needs to watch tape of Jeff Withey. They have very similar bodies and skill sets. If Nurger can figure out how to block like withey to go along with his shooting ability, watch out! He needs to majorly work on his rebounding though.

Comment

I think you can pencil in Kelly as the "4" in your lineups. The Wally Pipp comparison with Evan made earlier was apt. Evan coming off the bench at the 3 and 4 spots sounds like a winner.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Safe to say Nurger and Kelly will be back next season

Comment

Originally posted by top20shock View Post
                      Morris is still too heavy. Dude needs more weights and less weight. If he can do that watch out. Until then he's going to be a step slow and he's not long enough to make up for it.
                      Effort is what he is missing

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                        David Kyles did that kind of stuff all the time, he would even pull up from 3 on some fast breaks. He was a 40% 3 pt shooter. I have no idea what Zach Brown's normal percentage is but he was at 71% when he took that step back. Until he stops making them, i say he can step back all he wants.
                        My point was not so much adjusting to the 3-pt line, but he shuffled and got way out of rhythm in doing so. Kyles did it smoothly. Zach's idea was superb, his execution was off. At that point, he probably should have turned down any shot. My hindsight is 20/10.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by top20shock View Post
                          Morris is still too heavy. Dude needs more weights and less weight. If he can do that watch out. Until then he's going to be a step slow and he's not long enough to make up for it.
                          Honestly, Morris looks his best when he gets the ball on the low block, but it just doesn't happen very often. I got so mad at Carter for throwing up that hook shot with a guard on him. Morris knows how to use his body and goes through contact. He's a step slow on defense and commits too many fouls, but he has a ton of potential.

I keep thinking about that 3 by Fred. It wasn't a good shot, but i wonder if he took it because the big guy switched to him and would prevent their only post player from being in position to rebound. I may be thinking too much.
                          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                            Honestly, Morris looks his best when he gets the ball on the low block, but it just doesn't happen very often. I got so mad at Carter for throwing up that hook shot with a guard on him. Morris knows how to use his body and goes through contact. He's a step slow on defense and commits too many fouls, but he has a ton of potential.

I keep thinking about that 3 by Fred. It wasn't a good shot, but i wonder if he took it because the big guy switched to him and would prevent their only post player from being in position to rebound. I may be thinking too much.
                            Maybe yes, maybe no. I thought Fred just made an outstanding pass to Kelly!
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                              I got so mad at Carter for throwing up that hook shot with a guard on him. Morris knows how to use his body and goes through contact.
                              Yeah that was after the announcers commented that he likes to play through contact. I'm guessing it was a foul thing and was afraid of fouling out.
                              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                There was a time when coaches hated that. But lately they've realized that if you're going to take a 19-foot 2-pointer, why not step back and take the 20-foot 3-pointer. 5% more risk for 50% more reward.

But yeah, I think he traveled, too.
                                I too used to be in the boat that if you consciously adjust your positioning on a shot then you are likely going to miss. So I always told the younger kids when I was a senior playing to catch it and shoot it and not worry about the foot on the line. Young players can't always think about three different things at once when shooting.

However, as one gets better and older you definitely can do that and should adjust your feet.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X