A fresh look at the newcomers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fresh look at the newcomers

We got a solid look at all of the newcomers last night against Marymount, one that we haven't seen yet this year as they now have a rudimentary understanding of the offense and didn't look too disheveled on the scoring end of the court. Here's my breakdown:

Kelly - he's a strong athlete that will continue to start indefinitely. The offense does not flow as smooth with him on the court as it does with Evan, and he sometimes is a step out of position on both ends of the court. He's an athlete, but he's sped up with the ball in his hands. Once he slows down and reacts instead of pressing the play, he'll be a weapon. Right now he's just good enough to not be a liability. He doesn't put up monster numbers (only two baskets last night) but his points are memorable…two big dunks! Got to shoot FTs better, and his form and style of missing indicate that won't be a problem over his career.

Holland - I love the way he plays defense and shoots the ball! He's a pest that the other team keeps hoping to brush off, but he stays around. Ri'an HAS to get stronger to absorb screens, and it will help with his constantly moving hands. Instead of just disrupting, that will eventually turn into steals as he's able to grab the ball. Ri'an makes very few mistakes and always appears to be in control, in the right place, and playing at the right pace.

Morris - He's like the Hulk! Huge body that flys through the air! When he is in gear he sets good screens and really moves the opponent out of the way with his body. Once he stops using his hands to keep the opponent on his hip, he will stop being called for the foul. When rebounding, he is almost always out of position or failing to block out. Needs to set his hip in someone and go get the ball. Defensively…ugh! He plays okay for 10-15 seconds of the possession, but almost always ends up out of position at some point. Need to see WAY more Hulk and far less Bruce Banner…will be in and out of the doghouse for the next 2 years or as long as he is in Wichita…Almost forgot to mention he's a really good passer.

Nurger - He's really thinking out there…trying to figure out where he is supposed to go/be, and outside of the pick-and-pop screen, he's not really looking for the ball. He's got a big body and moves really well, but his appendages are weak. Doesn't have a strong base to post up or keep others from posting up, and doesn't rebound with two hands (mentioned last night by the announcer). Offensively, as skilled as they come, but needs to learn to play like the big space eater he is.

Henderson - Really smooth handles! Great shooter and can drive to the rim. He's another guy that needs to get stronger, which will help him finish with contact. I don't think he's a great passer yet, but it should come with time, but more importantly, his defense needs to improve. It's not brutal, but there is a noticeable drop off with Henderson versus the first team + Ri'an. The good last night versus Marymount was that he didn't stand at the top of the key and pound the ball. He looked much more fluid in running the offense.

Brown - He's looked VERY good on a few occasions, and totally out of place on others. He's currently buried behind Cotton, Baker, Holland and Wessel, but last night, his defense was FANTASTIC! That, if nothing else, will get him some court time. Another guy that can really shoot the ball when he's in rhythm. He's strong and athletic and can drive the ball. Needs to pass better to help the offense move. Very high upside player for the Shockers as he gets older.

Wamukota - Why isn't he a rim protector? Elevate and block a shot or get a hard foul in to make the opposition think twice. I'm not sure that's his game, but it needs to be. BWam gets lost on defense more than Morris, BUT he does get rebounds, and that's worth something. Decent hands for such a raw player and he finishes around the basket a bit too. Lots of untapped potential in this young man, but time is running out.

Glass - MOTOR. Out of control motor on this guy. He does everything hard, but, again, another newbie that ends up out of position. Nice athleticism and he's strong for such a thin frame. Loved watching him nail the three last night! Tevin is a deep body in the paint and nothing more. That's okay since we have 13 scholarship players and he has shown flashes.

Walker - What an easy kid to root for. Reminds me of Graham Hatch, except that Jared makes Graham look athletic. This kid is a team guy. He runs all over the court playing D and hustling and he can shoot and pass a little too. Decided to come to WSU as an out of state walk-on. Fantastic kid!
    Livin the dream

Good analysis. Nurger was getting pushed all over the place last night. Kid needs to gain about 20 pounds of muscle over the next year and he'll be good. Brown may start seeing more time with Evan out and Cotton banged up a little bit. He's got huge upside with his size and skills.

Comment

I see Kelly and McDuffie & Nurger really owning the inside next year

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
        I see Kelly and McDuffie & Nurger really owning the inside next year
        Nurger needs to be stronger and the center position for next year is anything but set in stone. McDuffie is the interesting one. He'll still be 17 when practice starts next year, and he is definitely a 3, could be pushed to play more PF early in his career. The 3 position next year could be very deep depending on how everything shakes out, but Baker could play there some (depending on how Conner Frankamp fits in) as can Shamet. Wessel and Brown will already have a good read on the offense, so not sure where Markis fits in the mix.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I felt like Nurger looked dejected last night. Maybe it's normal for him to have his face look that way and I just can't see it from the stands at CKA. When I saw him get benched and later there was a close-up on him, it looked like the whole rest of the bench was into the game and he was just staring with this forlorn look.

Comment

Even if Baker leaves... next year could potentially be our greatest group of talent and athleticism in a while. There will be games where the matchup allows Shaq, the Hulk, to play the 5 and Nurger will give us a lethal stretch 4 next to him.

Just thinking about the collection of guys, though: Senior FVV, pre-season AA, in the discussion for post-season awards; CF (half-way through the year), former top-40 recruit; the three will be Wessel's to lose I imagine, but whether it's Wessel or Zach Brown or Hamilton, it's either going to be an underrated pit bull or someone that beat him out for a starting spot, and down low we will have bigger and stronger athletes than this year. We'll miss DC, I'm sure. But the majority of our bigs are young, and they are going to get bigger and stronger.

I have total faith that HCGM can get them to work together as a cohesive unit. I know that we all should slow down and enjoy the ride. We've had a few really special years here recently. Things can fall apart in an instant, so it might not come to fruition... but, seriously, we have a lot to be excited about.

Comment

I saw Nurger laughing about something with Baker on the bench. He'll be fine. Coach has to be hard on these guys early in their career.

Comment

I agree with all the comments except I would add that Kelly has a nose for loose balls and will do anything to get one if its close to him.

The announcer also said that Shaq needs to play a little closer in when he's under the basket. I agreed with that one, too.

Lastly, I thought Kelly's presence as a starter really helped our offensive rebounding, as Loyola had to deal with two big bodies under the offensive glass. Time will tell whether this trend continues when we play a bigger, more athletic front line.

Comment

Kelly provides more physicality over Wessel, and an ability to body up bigs that Evan can't, also a beast on the boards. However, his offensive production and effectiveness is right on par with Wessel. Dismal.

Wessel has the 2nd worst usage % on the team with only Zach Bush being worse. Kelly is 4th from the bottom in usage %. Basically meaning they have no offensive say in what goes on. I'd really wish someone other than Carter would step up to make a difference in the post offensively. When Carter is out or has a bad game, our inside offense is abysmal and teams that have good defensive presence inside just eat us up.

All the negativity aside, Kelly is a Freshman, and he has so much upside right now. And just to touch on my negativity towards Evan, he's just forced to play in the wrong position, he's not a PF and he's tough as nails and steps up to the plate as best as he can. Coach gives him an impossible task, and he asks for seconds, the guy is so hungry I love it. Just wish we could move him more into his traditional position.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                    I agree with all the comments except I would add that Kelly has a nose for loose balls and will do anything to get one if its close to him.

The announcer also said that Shaq needs to play a little closer in when he's under the basket. I agreed with that one, too.

Lastly, I thought Kelly's presence as a starter really helped our offensive rebounding, as Loyola had to deal with two big bodies under the offensive glass. Time will tell whether this trend continues when we play a bigger, more athletic front line.
                    Yes, Kelly is a ball getter! Should have mentioned that!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Kelly is great at help defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to start even when Evan comes back.

Brown is the best athlete of the young gaurd and the one I believe will be the best of them in the long run.

Bush finally when back up to the basket with the ball last night; both times he scored. He also came crashing in for rebounds a couple times. He's getting it; slow and steady for Big Bush.

Corey obviously has a pretty shot (maybe best on the team) and nice handles. Once his defense catches up and he fully adjusts to the college game, he could take the rains from Fred (once he graduates of course).

Rian is someone you just can't help but root for; the small guy that works his azz off. If he continues to get stronger he could be a HUGE weapon.

Nurger has been a ghost since his big game vs STL. I'm not sure what's happened (I'm sure it's been brought up) but HCGM hasn't been giving him as much run. Sure he has made a couple mistakes (he's a frosh), but I thought he has looked like one of the most impressive young guys so far.

Glass got some nice minutes last night. I hope to see more of him in the future so we know what he can really do.

Shaq has to be one of the most frustrating players in a while. It's seems as often as we see glimpses of great potential, we see things that 3Gs has talked about. It's almost as if Shaq's brain shuts down for brief moments during the game as he is making these mental errors. He still has a shot to be something, but if he doesn't play between the ears for a full 40 minutes, he could cost himself dearly.

Frankamp didn't play last night, and won't for quite some time, but I know he was watching both games last night with a smile on his face. KU could really use him right now and WSU gets the opportunity to have him develop for awhile. It's a win-win!
                      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                        Frankamp didn't play last night, and won't for quite some time, but I know he was watching both games last night with a smile on his face. KU could really use him right now and WSU gets the opportunity to have him develop for awhile. It's a win-win!
                        During the blowout, KU had to play Mason 40 minutes... 40.

Hahahahaha. Even if CF doesn't do anything at WSU, I love what he did to KU.

Comment

Holland furious like a Honey Badger. Such quick hands, its mesmerizing.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                            Holland furious like a Honey Badger. Such quick hands, its mesmerizing.
                            If you'd said "real sweet" instead of "mesmerizing," you'd have a haiku.

Comment

Great analysis.

Too bad we can't combine Kelly's "want-to" with Shaq's skillset. That player would dominate. Shaq's laziness frustrates me to no end, especially considering he's usually only on the court for a minute or two at a time. Can't you suck it up and play all out for a couple of minutes?

Zach Brown will ultimately be the best of the Frosh bunch. Once he figures it out, look out!

Comment

Working...
                              X