Hawaii Roll Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moshock View Post
    We won't be making the trip this year but here are a couple of our Oahu favs:

Pearl Harbor is a must see. We also toured the USS Missouri while we were there. The Japanese signed their surrender docs on that ship. The whole Pearl Harbor experience is very moving.

Polynesian Culture Center - Its one of the most entertaining all day activities on the island

Dukes Restaurant located inside the Outrigger on Waikiki Beach. We always eat breakfast there. Good food with a great ocean front atmosphere.

There is an International Marketplace across from the Outrigger on Waikiki that you can spend hours and$$$ in.

The Honolulu Zoo is located at the end of the Waikiki strip.

We also enjoyed the Honolulu Historical Museum (I'm not sure what it's name is)

You might want to try to find an ABC store while you are in Hawaii. I think the ABC stores out number the tourist.
    As a note, the International Marketplace is gone, gone. New development being built. They still have the street vendors, however.

As @moshock: mentions, the Polynesian Culture Center is a full day, partly because it's on the opposite end of the island and most roads are slow going.

By the way, don't get caught going the wrong direction during the rush hours. This is anything but paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
      My recommendations for Oahu:

- Ted's bakery: Hole in the wall joint (but crowded) near sunset beach on the north shore. Good Hawaiian food and amazing desserts
      - North Shore: Amazing surf and great little towns all along the way. Had the chance to surf there in May and it was great. The surf usually doesn't get too big that time of year, but it was 6 feet or so and one of the highlights for me so far. If it is going off, check out the boogie boarders and brave surfers at pipeline.
      - Matsumoto Shave Ice in Hale'iwa: best shave ice on the island in my opinion.
      - Shrimp trucks: these are located all over with the best usually being on the north shore.
      - Hanauma Bay: great beach for relaxing and good snorkeling.
      - Lanikai Beach: great local beach that is sort of a hidden gem, although maybe not so much anymore. Not very crowded and a great place to spend a beach day relaxing.
      - Marukame Udon: as someone mentioned earlier, this is an excellent place in Waikiki to grab a bite. Good prices too.
      - Duke's Waikiki: also mentioned earlier. Great spot to catch a drink, enjoy the beach views, and listen to music
      Note on Hanauma Bay: Get there when it opens for best experience.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Not going on the trip, but for your visit to Kauai I can certainly endorse a trip past the Na Pali coast. I've never understood why some zillionaire developer doesn't try to build a self-contained resort in the now uninhabited valley there.

As for Kauai food, we enjoyed Brennecke's, a beachfront restaurant near Poipu Beach Park on the south shore; we also enjoyed Waimea Brewing Company, which I've read is now closed and succeeded by the Kauai Island Brewing Company on the southwest side of the island (in Ele ele near Hanapepe) -- I've never been there, but KIBC seems to have pretty good user reviews online. And there was a little shop that served great pizza in a small strip center right near the Tunnel of Trees, but I don't remember the name, and it was some years ago, so it may or may not still be there.

We got out of Honolulu as quickly as we could (really just passing through for a day on our way to Kauai), but after reading ShockTalk's post I'm still wondering what the heck a sushi slider must be.
        We love all the islands, but I understand you getting out of Honolulu. Oahu is my least fav.

As for the Sushi Slider: Kale tempura, guacamole, a special aioli, and ahi. 0050_IMG_3917a.jpg

Comment

I second the Waikiki Beach thing just to say you were there. The Honolulu zoo is neat. And Pearl harbor is a must. Very sombering.

Comment

Bubba Burgers has one of the very best cheeseburgers I've ever had and their onion rings are fantastic. I think it's in Princeville that they have the best seafood buffet I've ever had. It's real expensive, like $75 to $100 per person but it is an outrageous spread. Better than any I've had in Vegas.

Comment

Count us in. Taking wife, and all 4 adult kids. rented house south of Honolulu just a few minutes away from Hanauma bay.
              going Sunday coming home next Sunday. Brother-in-law trying to get there today. Flight troubles, was on same flights as the team and they are in LA tonight, going on tomorrow.

Shockchic, If You let them know You were with WSU hopefully they put You with the contingent. Our seats are supposed to be in the section close behind where the team will be. We'll see. I haven't heard anything about rallies of any sort either.

Comment

Is this the torture Shoxlax thread? Bad enough you are leaving me behind but now you are rubbing it in with food recommendations all of which sound damn good. Rude. Makes me want to go all Don on your Ho.

Seriously have a great time, bring home the Ws and give us minions a good after action report

Comment

Originally posted by GarH View Post
                  Bubba Burgers has one of the very best cheeseburgers I've ever had and their onion rings are fantastic. I think it's in Princeville that they have the best seafood buffet I've ever had. It's real expensive, like $75 to $100 per person but it is an outrageous spread. Better than any I've had in Vegas.
                  Is there a Spangles on the island?
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                    Not going on the trip, but for your visit to Kauai I can certainly endorse a trip past the Na Pali coast. I've never understood why some zillionaire developer doesn't try to build a self-contained resort in the now uninhabited valley there.

As for Kauai food, we enjoyed Brennecke's, a beachfront restaurant near Poipu Beach Park on the south shore; we also enjoyed Waimea Brewing Company, which I've read is now closed and succeeded by the Kauai Island Brewing Company on the southwest side of the island (in Ele ele near Hanapepe) -- I've never been there, but KIBC seems to have pretty good user reviews online. And there was a little shop that served great pizza in a small strip center right near the Tunnel of Trees, but I don't remember the name, and it was some years ago, so it may or may not still be there.

We got out of Honolulu as quickly as we could (really just passing through for a day on our way to Kauai), but after reading ShockTalk's post I'm still wondering what the heck a sushi slider must be.
                    The Ahi fish tacos at Brennecke's are on point.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Hanauma Bay....thought it was under-whelming. If snorkeling is something you really want to do then the Big Island is where I'd recommend.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                      The Ahi fish tacos at Brennecke's are on point.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Hanauma Bay....thought it was under-whelming. If snorkeling is something you really want to do then the Big Island is where I'd recommend.
                      It does become a zoo pretty quick with murky water, but it's good for newbies. However, as I said, need to get there early.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        Is this the torture Shoxlax thread? Bad enough you are leaving me behind but now you are rubbing it in with food recommendations all of which sound damn good. Rude. Makes me want to go all Don on your Ho.

Seriously have a great time, bring home the Ws and give us minions a good after action report
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                        X