Hawaii Roll Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Roll Call

Who all is splurging and following our boys to Hawaii? The better half and I are heading out today, spending a few days on Kauai first then over to Oahu Monday. First time to Hawaii for us, can't wait! For those who have been, any spots/activities to make sure to check out or avoid?

Anyone know of any team activities/practices that fans can attend?

Looking forward to meeting new Shocker friends!

ShockRef and I are taking the plunge and will be there too. Arrive Sunday afternoon, staying all week. Can't wait!!

Comment

Wish we were but not this time. We'll be with them next year in Orlando. IMHO while on Oahu you must get over to the North Shore. Just seeing the waves is amazing and there are some cool little towns that feel like Hawaii to us. Honolulu is nice but is a BIG city and just doesn't feel like a Hawaiian paradise. Obviously Pearl Harbor is worth a visit and Diamond Head is a good hike if you have the time. Have fun and GO SHOX!!!!

Comment

First Exempt Tourney I've missed in six years. Just couldn't see Christmas -- Thanksgiving is much easier to rationalize -- and going to the Islands twice in three years. So I'll wait for Orlando, Atlantis and Maui. For those who go, cheeer loudly for me (even though I still contend I can cheer just as loudly from a sitting position as any of you can standing up or laying down).
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

We a?rriving coming on Sunday...very excited...myself and shockermountain. staying at outrigger reef on the beach..anyone else

Comment

sherman.jpgStay away from Sherman.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Less known things to do:

Marukame Udon. Go to the one in Wakiki. Don't fear the long lines (but they are longer at "normal" eating times) as it is it moves quickly. This is about the food. Grab your tray and start ordering your choice of Udon (get the large serving, my fav is the curry) and pick out choices of tempura, pay with CASH, find your table (don't fear, they open quickly).

KCC Farmers Market. Tuesday morning until 11:00, go early. Small fun market. Don't miss Otsuji Farm booth and try their Sushi Sliders or Otsuji Roll. 0049_IMG_3918.jpg 0057_IMG_3919.jpg

Changing of the King's Guard at King's Village Wakiki. OK. The little shopping building is hokey, but these guys are good. Usually nightly at 6:15, but if you're walking around, go check them out (watch from the second level). They'll be 4-6 of the Guard performing. Note: This long standing drill team may have disbanded. Here's a national performance. .

Foster Botanical Garden. Yes, downtown Honolulu.

Great Shave Ice. There is a difference. We like these guys on Oahu. DO read about their hours. If they have it, try ube ice cream on the bottom. Do a rainbow of flavors. I'm partial to guava, papaya, lychee, mango, and passion fruit flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by shox526 View Post
                Who all is splurging and following our boys to Hawaii? The better half and I are heading out today, spending a few days on Kauai first then over to Oahu Monday. First time to Hawaii for us, can't wait! For those who have been, any spots/activities to make sure to check out or avoid?

Anyone know of any team activities/practices that fans can attend?

Looking forward to meeting new Shocker friends!
                On Kauai you must visit the north shore. Hanalei/Princeville area is one of my favorite places on this earth.

Bubba Burgers in Hanalei is a must if you are there if for no other reason than to say you were there. Tunnels Beach and Ke'e beach past Hanalei are two incredible beaches. South shore of Kauai has Poipu beach which is probably one of the better beaches for laying out on. It does get busy though.

The main island, Waikiki is fun just to say you were there and visit the Royal Hawaiian. Hiking up to the top of Diamond Head is unique if you have the energy/time. Echo what everyone else says about the North Shore of Oahu. Stunning place, with lots of surfers out there in the winter time ( if surfs up).
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

While on Kauai if you can schedule a boat trip to see the Napali Coastline, it is well worth it. There are also some awesome hikes in that area and Waimea Canyon

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                    While on Kauai if you can schedule a boat trip to see the Napali Coastline, it is well worth it. There are also some awesome hikes in that area and Waimea Canyon
                    Truth.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Does anyone know if shock fans going to Hawaii are sitting together? We paid thru the ESPN package and have received no info as to pep rallys, places for fans to meet, meeting the players, etc. a bit disappointed to see nothing planned. Even emailed the athletic director and nothing back relating to any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                        On Kauai you must visit the north shore. Hanalei/Princeville area is one of my favorite places on this earth.

Bubba Burgers in Hanalei is a must if you are there if for no other reason than to say you were there. Tunnels Beach and Ke'e beach past Hanalei are two incredible beaches. South shore of Kauai has Poipu beach which is probably one of the better beaches for laying out on. It does get busy though.

The main island, Waikiki is fun just to say you were there and visit the Royal Hawaiian. Hiking up to the top of Diamond Head is unique if you have the energy/time. Echo what everyone else says about the North Shore of Oahu. Stunning place, with lots of surfers out there in the winter time ( if surfs up).
                        Agree. Also, if you don't have a lot time, a helicopter tour on Kauai is stunning.....Waimea Canyon, Na Pali Coast.

Comment

We won't be making the trip this year but here are a couple of our Oahu favs:

Pearl Harbor is a must see. We also toured the USS Missouri while we were there. The Japanese signed their surrender docs on that ship. The whole Pearl Harbor experience is very moving.

Polynesian Culture Center - Its one of the most entertaining all day activities on the island

Dukes Restaurant located inside the Outrigger on Waikiki Beach. We always eat breakfast there. Good food with a great ocean front atmosphere.

There is an International Marketplace across from the Outrigger on Waikiki that you can spend hours and$$$ in.

The Honolulu Zoo is located at the end of the Waikiki strip.

We also enjoyed the Honolulu Historical Museum (I'm not sure what it's name is)

You might want to try to find an ABC store while you are in Hawaii. I think the ABC stores out number the tourist.

Comment

My recommendations for Oahu:

- Ted's bakery: Hole in the wall joint (but crowded) near sunset beach on the north shore. Good Hawaiian food and amazing desserts
                            - North Shore: Amazing surf and great little towns all along the way. Had the chance to surf there in May and it was great. The surf usually doesn't get too big that time of year, but it was 6 feet or so and one of the highlights for me so far. If it is going off, check out the boogie boarders and brave surfers at pipeline.
                            - Matsumoto Shave Ice in Hale'iwa: best shave ice on the island in my opinion.
                            - Shrimp trucks: these are located all over with the best usually being on the north shore.
                            - Hanauma Bay: great beach for relaxing and good snorkeling.
                            - Lanikai Beach: great local beach that is sort of a hidden gem, although maybe not so much anymore. Not very crowded and a great place to spend a beach day relaxing.
                            - Marukame Udon: as someone mentioned earlier, this is an excellent place in Waikiki to grab a bite. Good prices too.
                            - Duke's Waikiki: also mentioned earlier. Great spot to catch a drink, enjoy the beach views, and listen to music
                            "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

Not going on the trip, but for your visit to Kauai I can certainly endorse a trip past the Na Pali coast. I've never understood why some zillionaire developer doesn't try to build a self-contained resort in the now uninhabited valley there.

As for Kauai food, we enjoyed Brennecke's, a beachfront restaurant near Poipu Beach Park on the south shore; we also enjoyed Waimea Brewing Company, which I've read is now closed and succeeded by the Kauai Island Brewing Company on the southwest side of the island (in Ele ele near Hanapepe) -- I've never been there, but KIBC seems to have pretty good user reviews online. And there was a little shop that served great pizza in a small strip center right near the Tunnel of Trees, but I don't remember the name, and it was some years ago, so it may or may not still be there.

We got out of Honolulu as quickly as we could (really just passing through for a day on our way to Kauai), but after reading ShockTalk's post I'm still wondering what the heck a sushi slider must be.

Comment

Working...
                              X