Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is our FT% for the season. I seriously think hypnosis may be in order. It's more than just the percentage, it's the timing. It cost us one game, and almost cost us another at home. You guys can run me, just like coach runs the callers off the air who bring this up, but it's terrible...just terrible.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

The fact of the matter is that it doesn't do a bit of good to discuss it. Do you think they want to shoot FT poorly?

The players know it's bad and what to do to correct it. The coaches know it's bad and what to do to correct it. Thinking too much about it makes the problem worse.

Talking about it doesn't fix the problem. Reps do. Watching game film of FT shooting won't help. Reps will.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
      The fact of the matter is that it doesn't do a bit of good to discuss it. Do you think they want to shoot FT poorly?

The players know it's bad and what to do to correct it. The coaches know it's bad and what to do to correct it.

Talking about it doesn't fix the problem. Reps do.

--'85.
      I understand why Gregg wouldn't want to talk about it. Making a FT is both a physical and psychological process. If a coach focuses on the "negative" he gives it more "life". If a player starts thinking about missing, then he increases his chances of missing.

I guess the question is why are good FT shooters missing big FTs when they have a history of just the opposite? Seems like it is just a symptom of a bigger problem...
      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
        I guess the question is why are good FT shooters missing big FTs when they have a history of just the opposite? Seems like it is just a symptom of a bigger problem...
        Such as?

Comment

You're both right, koch and '85. It IS terrible, and arguably it did cost the Utah game (obviously there were a lot of other things that went wrong too, but it would have been nice to be up 70-69 inside the last eight seconds instead of down and fouling). It could easily have cost the Bama game. It could also cost a Valley game that would certainly not be a "quality loss," especially if it happens to occur at home.

Having said that, it's true -- fussing about it isn't going to help, and the coaches and players are way ahead of us in knowing that. Still, if it doesn't get better, the coaches may have to tighten down their enforcement of those reps vs. whatever they're doing now. And if it continues to be bad, Marshall isn't justified in blowing off people who ask about it, because it the foul shooting were up to standard, they wouldn't be asking. We have some silly callers, but their questions aren't without provocation. So end the provocation.

Not sure what the mysterious larger problem is, though. Have black helicopters been buzzing around, kochHead? Try not to overthink this. Players have slumps and off nights, and this year's Shocks are missing one of their best FT shooters from last season (another trait that headed for the NBA with Early) -- that can automatically hurt the percentage some.
          Last edited by WSUwatcher; December 17, 2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Anyone have time to compare % home vs neutral vs away?

Curious if new people in stressful situations is a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              Such as?
              Not being in a state of flow. Probably caused by the pressure to do more with less. When you have the right tools to get the job done it becomes enjoyable and you achieve a state of flow, things seem to come easy. When you don't, things are more difficult and stressful, you "over think" things, and performance decreases.
              -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

is our FT% for the season. I seriously think hypnosis may be in order. It's more than just the percentage, it's the timing. It cost us one game, and almost cost us another at home. You guys can run me, just like coach runs the callers off the air who bring this up, but it's terrible...just terrible.
                Even the coach was conceding the point a little last night after the game. Definitely a problem. Needs to be dealt with by the players... Time to man up...
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I think this is the same reason why we are seeing players do uncharacteristic things, like missing players in transition or forcing shots.
                  -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

My first guess is fatigue...in Fred's case anyway. I was looking at Cotton's FT% the other night from season to season. He went from 64% to 54% to 69% and is now at 50% even for the season(s)... Carter was 64% last year. This year so far .548. Evan is up frm 41% last year to 57% so far this year. That's three of our starters under 60%

Those guys have to take personal responsibility for that and fix it fast...

Comment

Not being in a state of flow. Probably caused by the pressure to do more with less. When you have the right tools to get the job done it becomes enjoyable and you achieve a state of flow, things seem to come easy. When you don't, things are more difficult and stressful, you "over think" things, and performance decreases.
                      OMG, a psych major ...
                      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

They were definitely over thinking last night until the last 6 minutes...

Comment

Cle shot a huge percentage last year and went to the line lot.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

You could tell 2V was pissed off (at himself) after missing those two late free throws but you could also see the determination and focus to overcome it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              Anyone have time to compare % home vs neutral vs away?

Curious if new people in stressful situations is a factor.
                              The new people are not the only concern. FVV, Baker, and Carter are all shooting .80-.100 points lower than last year and Cotton is .200 points down.

Comment

Working...
                              X