WSU VERSUS DETROIT PREDICTIONS AND PREGAME DISCUSSIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    When I was knee-high-to-a-grasshoppa, I remember watching on the tube, Rocky Colavito with the Detroit Tigers smash 4 homers in one game. This does not happen all the time. Then there were NBA games I watched with the Detroit Pistons led by Dave Bing. Last but not least, Alex Karras was fun to watch as he played smash-mouth football for the Detroit Lions.
    i wish i could have seen dave bing (syracuse university) play. reading about him, it seems he was something of the stephen curry (much respect) of his day. really, truly great basketball player. underrated (from what i've read).

i saw the hit-man, though- thomas hearns. legit tough city- totally bankrupted, but tough.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Good memories except Rocky Colavito had his 4 home run game as a member of the Cleveland Indians. The best memories of Detroit for us Wichitans, of course, was the incomparable Barry Sanders, who would score and actually act like he had been there and done that and it wasn't any big deal. No to mention that I'm sure he understood he had a lot of help from his teammates.
      Barry Sanders did indeed have an amazing NFL career. Not sure he started all the way through his North High days which is perplexing. I just saw the game Rocky had these homers wondering why they kept pitching to him but forgot who he was playing for at the time obviously. The older I get, the worse that gets. The Yankees was my favorite baseball team way back then as was the St. Louis Cardinals. Watched the Yankees often on the black and white and listened to Harry and Jack on the radio announce the St. Louis games.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
        i wish i could have seen dave bing (syracuse university) play. reading about him, it seems he was something of the stephen curry (much respect) of his day. really, truly great basketball player. underrated (from what i've read).

i saw the hit-man, though- thomas hearns. legit tough city- totally bankrupted, but tough.
        When Hearns connected it was "lights out, party is over."
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

the motor-city cobra, slam-dunk boxing hall-of-fame

gregg marshall- 71
          dick vitale- 68

Comment

Detroit’s Patrick Onwenu Is Making Progress, But Is Still Questionable For Wichita State Game

http://wchbnewsdetroit.newsone.com/3...ta-state-game/
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Thomas "the Hit Man" Hearns vs Sugar Ray Leonard. Now that was some Sweet Science indeed.

Comment

Three of my favorite basktball Daves from the 1960's: Dave Debusschere, University of Detroit/Detroit Pistons -- Dave "The Rave" Stallworth, Wichita State/New York Knicks -- Dave Bing, Syracuse/Detroit Pistons

Debusschere helped Detroit to two NIT appearances and an NCAA appearance. In those days, the NIT was pretty much on par with the NCAA Tournament. He also pitched the Titans to 3 NCAA Baseball Tournament appearances and pitched in MLB for a couple years for the White Sox.

Of course, Dave "The Rave" Stallworth is and always will be my all-time favorite Shocker with all due respect to the many great Shockers that have followed Dave.

I remember Dave Bing as being one of those silky smooth players. He certainly was a success in business and politics as well once he hung up his sneakers.

Comment

Here's a promo being run on the station that televises Detroit games locally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aL...ature=youtu.be.

Comment

Originally posted by Commish View Post
                    Here's a promo being run on the station that televises Detroit games locally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aL...ature=youtu.be.
                    Nicely done. And since the Titans asked so nicely I would guess the Shockers will, in fact, bring it on.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Detroit being psyched for the game makes me psyched for the game!

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post

Somebody help me out here. Back at the end of the Stallworth era, Pizza Hut or some other local business sponsored an All-Star exhibition at The Roundhouse. I was 11 or 12 but I remember Lou Hudson (played with a cast on his wrist), Dave Bing, Cazzie Russell, Stallworth, Bowman all playing. I just did a quick google and can't find anything about it. I know my Dad and I were there but my memory gets hazier every year. Does anybody else remember this?
                        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Shox-83
                          MC Cheddar Bob-71
                          "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

6 threads in front of this one as I post. I hope everyone is not taking this game lightly. We will be victorious by less than 10.

Shoxlax, hope you and your compodres had a good trip up there.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

All that matters is if the players take it lightly or not, not the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                                spot on! I guarantee I will not have a single point, assist, or rebound tomorrow!
                                Good, that means you won't cause a technical foul to be called
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X