Baker and vanvleet playing time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker and vanvleet playing time

Both playing a lot of minutes even in blowouts. I know they teaching. But so far only holland seems ready to step in consistently. Need another to develop a little quicker. I was hoping to see Fred and Ron be able to play a few less minutes. Fred knocked to the floor a lot today.

To me it seems that Cotton, Fred, & Baker are all playing a surprising number of minutes.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Probably Marshall wanting his freshmen to watch live "game" action on how to properly close out a game from the bench in this early season.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        To me it seems that Cotton, Fred, & Baker are all playing a surprising number of minutes.
        Yes I fail to mention cotton.

Comment

Sadly, they'll probably get plenty of chances to take an early seat in league play. The OOC is the tougher portion of the schedule by a mile. Once we start wading through the BUs and Drakes of the conference, I will be pretty surprised if Fred and Ron aren't resting a little more.

For comparison, I will be very surprised if any of our OOC opponents (except Newman of course) have an RPI lower than the 7th place MVC team. Loyola Marymount and Detroit are our creampuffs and they both could probably avoid Thursday night.

That would mean 8 games against conference teams weaker than anything we face before New Year's Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
            Both playing a lot of minutes even in blowouts. I know they teaching. But so far only holland seems ready to step in consistently. Need another to develop a little quicker. I was hoping to see Fred and Ron be able to play a few less minutes. Fred knocked to the floor a lot today.
            The only blowout has been Newman. In that game FFV only played 17 min. RB played 24, but some of that was at PG. The only reason they all got so many minutes today is because they let TU back into the game. Had they kept building on the 23 point lead, they would have been out early.
            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

I think we might as well get used to them playing alot. I figure they will at least average 30min a game (Fred, Ron, Tekele ) I really think they want to be out their playing as long as their healthy. Rian is definitely contributing on the offensive end and I think our freshmen bigs are getting valuable minutes. Wasn't much offense out of them today but they were banging pretty good against Tulsa and their a fairly physical team. Enjoyed watching Shaq posting up, really getting after it. Anyway I think around mid Febuary we will have a pretty good idea where are Freshmen will be and I for one am pretty excited. They still have to get a little smoother running the offensive sets but from a physical stand-point they can more than hold there own.

Comment

Another factor is we have been playing about 1 game a week. As we move to two their minutes might decline a touch.
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                  Another factor is we have been playing about 1 game a week. As we move to two their minutes might decline a touch.
                  Hopefully in the near future another guard other than rion steps up and provide some consistent and dependable help. I was concerned with the physical beating that I thought I saw Fred take in the last game . We need someone in my opinion to be able to give him, Ron, and Cotton a little more rest.
                  Right now we are very deep and can see continued development at the bigs. Not so much from the young 1, 2, and 3.

Comment

If we can get the bigs to develop, that will relieve Evan from playing the 4 and he and Cotton can share the 3. We have Rian playing the 2 a but but we need Corey to start taking some minutes. If you recall, Fred did not get a lot of minutes early on as he studied under Malcolm. He has the most difficult position to learn, hopefully he'll start getting minutes as the season wears on.

My bigger concern is the lack of offense coming from any big not named Darius. We don't need these guys to carry the team, but they have to figure out how to be effective scorers in big games. Shaq is close but the others aren't showing much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      If we can get the bigs to develop, that will relieve Evan from playing the 4 and he and Cotton can share the 3. We have Rian playing the 2 a but but we need Corey to start taking some minutes. If you recall, Fred did not get a lot of minutes early on as he studied under Malcolm. He has the most difficult position to learn, hopefully he'll start getting minutes as the season wears on.

My bigger concern is the lack of offense coming from any big not named Darius. We don't need these guys to carry the team, but they have to figure out how to be effective scorers in big games. Shaq is close but the others aren't showing much.
                      True, other than Shaq there hasn't been much post offense off the bench, but I think Rashard and Rauno have demonstrated the skill set to improve in that category. They're thinking too much right now and the game is a bit fast. Look for them to improve a few games into the conference season.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Years ago N. Iowa came in here and got lucky with a last big make to win the game. If I recall, Coach T. was here coaching then. Their top 5

players all had 30 plus minutes. We went around 8 deep and maybe only 1 of our players played 30 minutes. I often wondered if our foe would

have been in situation to perform this last ditch make if we would have played our best players 30 minutes plus also? Dunno, and I have never made

one thin dime coaching. I am glad we have such awesome depth this Season and there will be games we have fouls, match-ups, injuries etc. where we

will need our depth to produce to help us win. Even so, our top 4 players will lead the way in minutes played but to go where we wan to go, quality depth

will be a big advantage for us.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
                          Hopefully in the near future another guard other than rion steps up and provide some consistent and dependable help. I was concerned with the physical beating that I thought I saw Fred take in the last game . We need someone in my opinion to be able to give him, Ron, and Cotton a little more rest.
                          Right now we are very deep and can see continued development at the bigs. Not so much from the young 1, 2, and 3.
                          There comes a point where Fred rightly believes he needs to take over the game for a bit. This happens when the offense is struggling and that was the case when Tulsa was let back in the game. That is when he slashes to the basket and takes the big hit.
                          On twitter as @WuShocks

Comment

I don't know how you keep All-American guards and a defensive player of the year candidate off of the floor. None of our backups will look as good as them at this point. Hell most teams' STARTERS wouldn't look as good as them. Don't worry so much. Plus if you jack with the rotation too much it can throw off the rhythym of those three, they are still human.

I imagine most teams that have All-Americans are playing them a ton of minutes.

Enjoy watching Fred, Ron and Tekele. Those players dont come around often, especially at the same time. I actually feel bad for the young guards. Many will compare them to Fred and Ron. Those are shoes you just cant fill. They will be fine
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                              I don't know how you keep All-American guards and a defensive player of the year candidate off of the floor. None of our backups will look as good as them at this point. Hell most teams' STARTERS wouldn't look as good as them. Don't worry so much. Plus if you jack with the rotation too much it can throw off the rhythym of those three, they are still human.

I imagine most teams that have All-Americans are playing them a ton of minutes.

Enjoy watching Fred, Ron and Tekele. Those players dont come around often, especially at the same time. I actually feel bad for the young guards. Many will compare them to Fred and Ron. Those are shoes you just cant fill. They will be fine
                              I agree that the difference between Ron/Fred/Tekele and the bench is huge!
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X