2014-15 MVC All-Sports Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014-15 MVC All-Sports Trophy

The Shocks won the 2012-13 MVC All-Sport Trophy with a record-setting average finish of 2.30 in the 15 sports it competes in. At the beginning of last year I commented that while the Shocks would be right in the mix again to win the AST I did not think they would put up that kind of average score. Shows you what I know as the Shocks broke their own record in 2013-14 with an average of 2.13 in winning its 8th AST in the past 11 years.

The Shocks should be right in the mix, most likely the favorites, to win another AST this year. However, establishing a new record for the 3rd consecutive year would be tall order indeed. But that is more or less what I thought last year.

The Fall Sports are now completed as far as All-Sports scoring is concerned. Those sports include Volleyball, Men's and Women's XC, and Men's and Women's Soccer. The Shocks, of course, do not compete in Soccer much to the chagrin of @Kung Wu and Scott Sterling.

The standings at this point are:
    1. ILS - 2.00
    2. SIU - 3.33
    3. WSU - 4.00
    T-4. MSU, UNI and BU - 5.00
    7. INS - 5.25
    T-8 LOY and DU - 6.00
    10. EU - 6.20

The Shocks are actually slightly ahead of last year's pace at the end of the fall. The Volleyball team dropped from a 1st place tie to 3rd place losing 1.5 points but both XC teams finished 1 place higher this year. The Shocks were at 4.17 at this point last year.

Both the Shocker men and women are expected to repeat as champions in basketball and I would anticipate the Shocker indoor T&F teams will both be in the top 3 again.

By the end of the winter season I expect the Shockers will have moved back to the top of the AST standings.

The Spring is the most important time of the year for AST scoring as 8 championships are held during that part of the year.

I'm sure most Shocker fans have expectations that the Shocker Baseball team will improve on its 4th place finish from last year. Hopefully, that will be the case.

Softball obviously can not improve over last year's 1st place finish and, despite having a large part of the team back this season, they could easily fall back a bit as they lack a dominate pitching staff.

Men's and Women's Golf, both Outdoor T&F teams and both Tennis teams should be right at or near the top of the league again this Spring.

I like the Shock's chances of making it 9 out of the last 12.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 23, 2014, 12:54 PM.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Shocks won the 2012-13 MVC All-Sport Trophy with a record-setting average finish of 2.30 in the 15 sports it competes in. At the beginning of last year I commented that while the Shocks would be right in the mix again to win the AST I did not think they would put up that kind of average score. Shows you what I know as the Shocks broke their own record in 2013-14 with an average of 2.13 in winning its 8th AST in the past 11 years.

The Shocks should be right in the mix, most likely the favorites, to win another AST this year. However, establishing a new record for the 3rd consecutive year would be tall order indeed. But that is more or less what I thought last year.

The Fall Sports are now completed as far as All-Sports scoring is concerned. Those sports include Volleyball, Men's and Women's XC, and Men's and Women's Soccer. The Shocks, of course, do not compete in Soccer much to the chagrin of @Kung Wu and Scott Sterling.

The standings at this point are:
    1. ILS - 2.00
    2. SIU - 3.33
    3. WSU - 4.00
    T-4. MSU, UNI and BU - 5.00
    7. INS - 5.25
    T-8 LOY and DU - 6.00
    10. EU - 6.20

The Shocks are actually slightly ahead of last year's pace at the end of the fall. The Volleyball team dropped from a 1st place tie to 3rd place losing 1.5 points but both XC teams finished 1 place higher this year. The Shocks were at 4.17 at this point last year.

Both the Shocker men and women are expected to repeat as champions in basketball and I would anticipate the Shocker indoor T&F teams will both be in the top 3 again.

By the end of the winter season I expect the Shockers will have moved back to the top of the AST standings.

The Spring is the most important time of the year for AST scoring as 8 championships are held during that part of the year.

I'm sure most Shocker fans have expectations that the Shocker Baseball team will improve on its 4th place finish from last year. Hopefully, that will be the case.

Softball obviously can not improve over last year's 1st place finish and, despite having a large part of the team back this season, they could easily fall back a bit as they lack a dominate pitching staff.

Men's and Women's Golf, both Outdoor T&F teams and both Tennis teams should be right at or near the top of the league again this Spring.

I like the Shock's chances of making it 9 out of the last 12.
    Thanks again for all that you do to keep the rest of us informed with the other sports.

Comment

With the completion of the Women's basketball regular season today the winter portion of the Valley schedule is complete as far as All-Sports points are concerned. The Shocks finished with 2 firsts (men's and women's BB), a 2nd (Men's Indoor T&F) and a 3rd (Women's Indoor T&F). The Shocks do not compete in women's swimming and diving.

The Shocks have, as anticipated, moved from 3rd at the end of the Fall season to 1st with the 8 sport Spring season just getting started. The standings at the end of the Winter season are:

1. WSU - 2.71
      2. ILS - 3.83
      3. SIU - 4.00
      4. INS - 4.06
      5. UNI - 4.56
      6. MSU - 4.75
      7. EVN - 5.88
      8. DU - 6.00
      9. BU - 7.57
      10. LOY - 8.14

In the Spring the Shocks look strong in both men's and women's golf, both men's and women's tennis, and both men's and women's outdoor track & field. The Softball team is picked to win the Valley but their pitching still remains a little iffy so we will just have to see how that goes. The big concern in the Spring, believe it or not, is Shocker baseball which is off to a 3-9 start and just simply doesn't seem to have much going for it. The baseball team was picked to finish 3rd in the Valley but that looks very iffy at this point. Also, their No. 1 starter, Sam Tewes was pulled from his last start with an undisclosed injury.

However, I think the Shocks can and will win another All-Sports Trophy even with a last place finish by the baseball team although I sure hope it doesn't get to that.

Comment

Bumping For One More Pass on Page 1

Comment

Anyone have the latest numbers? Looks like the women's tennis and golf teams won the conference tournaments.

Comment

@1972Shocker: will provide his usual detail but I think we're at 2.30 and I'm sure still in 1st with two 1s and a 2 so far in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              @1972Shocker will provide his usual detail but I think we're at 2.30 and I'm sure still in 1st with two 1s and a 2 so far in the spring.
              We are looking very good again. Men's golf is a favorite to win another championship. Both the Men's and Women's Track & Field teams should do well, top 3 or better, in the outdoor championships. Softball got off to a horrible start in Valley play at 2-8 but are now 14-10 with 3 games left against the 9th place team. They have a good shot at 4th place now and if they get some help maybe 3rd. Baseball has a very tough finish with series against MSU and DBU, the top two teams in the Valley as well as Evansville who sits right behind the Shockers in the current standings.

I think the Shocks with finish at around 2.50. At this point I don't see anyone else finishing below 4.00.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 27, 2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Summary:

WSU has the best overall athletic department year in year out.
                WSU has the best team in the biggest sport (Men's Basketball) year in year out.

This year was/will be no different.

Go Shox.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                  Having the best team in Men's Basketball team is important but carries no more weight than any other sport in terms of All-Sports scoring. Perhaps the most important program in the All-Sports race is Track & Field/Cross Country which accounts for 6 of our 15 sports under the outstanding leadership of Steve Rainbolt.

However, the level of financial support the WSU men's basketball program commands is clearly the key to making everything else work well.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 27, 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                    Summary:

WSU has the best overall athletic department year in year out.

This year was/will be no different.

Go Shox.
                    How much credit does ADES receive for this excellent performance by Shocker Sport Teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                      How much credit does ADES receive for this excellent performance by Shocker Sport Teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        During the six years (1966 - 1976) I was on campus earning degrees, I don't recall the Shockers winning the All Sports Trophy. ADES took the helm in 2008 and the Shockers have won how many All-Sports Trophies? Seems to me he has to have made some type of positive contribution.

Comment

During the six years (1966 - 1976) I was on campus earning degrees, I don't recall the Shockers winning the All Sports Trophy. ADES took the helm in 2008 and the Shockers have won how many All-Sports Trophies? Seems to me he has to have made some type of positive contribution.
                          Oh, I agree. I was just trying to provide you a number based on my general observation of the community's sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            Oh, I agree. I was just trying to provide you a number based on my general observation of the community's sentiment.
                            I was wrong, Shockers won the trophy in 1976 year I earned my Masters.

Comment

I think Jim Schaus deserves a lot of credit for taking the attitude that if you are going to sponsor a sport than you may as well try to be the best you can be. Jim hired a lot of the Coaches that are currently leading the Shockers to their success over the last dozen years or so. Also don't underestimate what the Roundhouse Renaissance meant to this resurgence in Shocker Athletics.

What Eric Sexton deserves credit for is maintaining the stability of the coaching ranks at WSU especially Gregg Marshall who is the bell cow of the bell cow. Eric did make a great hire for Women's Tennis with a young Coach Colin Foster who has yet to lose a match to a Valley opponent in his 6 years at WSU and what appears to be a solid hire for Softball with Coach Kristi Bredbenner who lead the Shockers to their 1st ever MVC regular season championship last year in in just her 2nd year at the helm. The jury is still out on how the changes in the Shocker Baseball program will work out and that is no doubt the most controversial move Eric has made.

Eric also deserves some credit for continuing to upgrade our athletic facilities. Dr. John Bardo deserves a great deal of credit here as well especially for the updating of the RSC and the addition of Shocker Hall with more to come.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 27, 2015, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X