Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky...

who beats these guys and how?
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I'm sure our guys would love a shot.

Comment

Let's revisit this thread in a few weeks/months.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I asked a buddy who has coached and he gave me this scouting report (and was proud to hear Jay Bilas say almost the same thing a few minutes later):

Offensively: Make them guard for 25-30 seconds. Swing the ball and make their bigs move and not let them camp out in the lane

Defensively: I like what KU is doing except they aren't rebounding worth a dog's butthole. KU's defense has been really good when they limit Kentucky to one-and-done
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          I asked a buddy who has coached and he gave me this scouting report (and was proud to hear Jay Bilas say almost the same thing a few minutes later):

Offensively: Make them guard for 25-30 seconds. Swing the ball and make their bigs move and not let them camp out in the lane

Defensively: I like what KU is doing except they aren't rebounding worth a dog's butthole. KU's defense has been really good when they limit Kentucky to one-and-done
          A big man who can stretch the floor will help as well. A team like UW-Madison has a chance.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
            Play better guards. Frank Mason was 1-10 with 0 assists. Impossible to beat UK that way. Buffalo was closer because honestly their guards were significantly better.
            Don't force the ball into the post against a size disadvantage. KU primarily played 6'8" post players, and just kept throwing the ball at the rim hoping it would stick. That doesn't work. Bigs that can play outside can help.
            Make your 3s. UK will have a very strong presence at the rim, you need to make your jump shots.
            Force the ball to their guards and try to create opportunities in transition. They aren't a terrific 3PT team, and the Harrison twins can be pressured.
            Rebounding. Do it. Especially on defense.

KU had no shot. Their gameplan is the exact worst strategy against UK. Honestly Wichita State matches up as good as anyone. UK isn't nearly as good as they looked in that game, and they have a few matchups were they actually probably have a pretty big disadvantage (@UofL for instance). But running to the rim or trying to force feed a 6'8" player just will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
              The Shocks in the ncaa tournament. Revenge game.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                The Shocks in the ncaa tournament. Revenge game.
                I'd take that. Just got to get Kelly, Morris, Nurger, and even Bush up to speed by March!!!! Could be Kelly's coming out party!!!
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

One thing that seems clear is that you can't just play straight up and try to beat them by playing their game, only better. Kansas tried to just slug it out against them, and the result was almost laughable. And the point about needing good guard play was painfully obvious last night -- and we all know who has good guard play.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                    I love the optimism of Shockernet posters. While we will definitely improve through the course of the season, so will Kentucky. Looks to me like the field is playing for second place. I guess we could all hope both platoons get caught at the same holiday party with booze, dope, and hookers.
                    They're good, but I'm not buying a 40-0 t-shirt yet. They looked bad at times against buffalo. This is the third year in a row we were supposed to crown them champions in November. One year, they lost in the first round of the NIT. One year, they had a rough season and turned it up in the tournament. They looked darn good last night... But we'll see.

Edit: spelled NIT wrong
                    Last edited by jdshock; November 19, 2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

You spelled NIT wrong
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

KUs approach was ridiculous, I can't imagine what Self was thinking! It seemed to me they didn't even attempt a 3-pointer until very late in the first half, instead opting for their guards to drive to the rim and throw the ball against some trees. Great gameplan, Self!! I'm sure Kentucky will be a handful for any team, but I'm quite certain that Marshall would/will at least have our guys prepared and give us every opportunity to pull out a win.
                        Last edited by Perezident; November 19, 2014, 09:43 AM.
                        "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                        -- Pele

Comment

I heard that Coach Self and Connor have a meeting scheduled for today. Coach Self called the meeting.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                            I heard that Coach Self and Connor have a meeting scheduled for today. Coach Self called the meeting.
                            It was the natural conclusion to this thread. Surprised it took us 14 posts to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                              I love the optimism of Shockernet posters. While we will definitely improve through the course of the season, so will Kentucky. Looks to me like the field is playing for second place. I guess we could all hope both platoons get caught at the same holiday party with booze, dope, and hookers.
                              I think what's getting lost in the "Kentucky is unbeatable" talk is that, as of right now, KU is not a very good basketball team. Let alone the #5 team in the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X