All-Time Best Shocker PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Time Best Shocker PG

It's time this discussion takes place. FVV is only half-way through his Shocker career, but is there much doubt he will go down as the hands-down best PG in Shocker history. He is not the best shooting PG we have ever had. He is also not the quickest one either. What he possesses that no other PG in Shocker history revealed is the innate ability to see one or two passes ahead. He is crafty beyond crafty. He can lose his defender whenever he wants and gets to the rim as good, if not better than Armstead did. Armstead did it because he was a superior athlete. On defense, Fred anticipates as well as Cotton. His leadership is beyond explanation. Sometimes the "coach on the floor" analogy is over used. Not in Fred's case. He is the complete package. Let Fred be crowned the best PG in Shocker history. Here is the question...who are the next 4 that would make up the top-5? Here is my top-5:

1. FVV
    2. Joe Ragland
    3. Randy Smithson
    4. Malcolm Armstead (debated due to only 1 year on the job)
    5. Calvin Bruton

Others: Hannah, Brauer, Burns, and I'm sure I am missing some

I am sure there is a PG or two from the 60s to consider, but I am not qualified to name them. I agree however, that FVV is on track to taking that title.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Kelly Pete
      Lanny Van Emman

I'm not remembering many from the Ralph Miller era. If you're going with best ever, you've got to include players from that era.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Kelly Pete
        Lanny Van Emman

I'm not remembering many from the Ralph Miller era. If you're going with best ever, you've got to include players from that era.
        Only if the're considered better than the names already mentioned.

Comment

FVV will not only go down as the best PG ever, but one of the best players ever.

A rafter worthy career, if it stays on track.
          The Assman

Comment

I don't remember Kelly Pete being a point guard, but he was a great all-around guard. Our 1st version of Tekele Cotton perhaps.

Ernie Moore was a great point guard.

Not sure you could classify Warren (Armstrong) Jabali as a PG but he was an absolutely outstanding passer and distributor of the basketball. Not sure who you could compare Warren to as a Shocker. He is kind of like Cheese Johnson. A very unique player. Top 20 All-Time in scoring, assists and rebounding. It's obvious I am a huge Warren Jabali fan.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Greg Carney was a scoring point guard. He was definitely, absolutely shoot first. I would not classify him as a great floor general.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I don't remember Kelly Pete being a point guard.

Ernie Moore was a great point guard.

Not sure you could classify Warren (Armstrong) Jabali as a PG but he was an absolutely outstanding passer and distributor of the basketball.
                I had forgotten about Moore, even though he was before my time. I do remember my father telling me of his greatness however.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                  I agree with this completely. And in my dream world, FVV moves into a grad assistant position on the bench, and works his way up to taking the reins when Marshall retires!
                  Or after he has a good nba career?

Comment

Joe Griffin and Guff deserve spots on the honorable mention list.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                      Good call on Joe. My recollection on Guff was he was more of a SG, but I could be wrong (Shocker!).

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                        My recollection on Guff was he was more of a SG, but I could be wrong (Shocker!).
                        IIRC Guff took Griffin's starting spot when he fell from Eddie's good graces, then slid over when absolute assist-machines Robert George and KC Hunt arrived.

Comment

Ernie Moore's Thoughts on Fred Van Vleet

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            Or after he has a good nba career?
                            Yeah...I know many will say he's an awesome "college" point guard....but me thinks we WILL see Fred on an NBA roster. Somebody will take a shot with him....and I think that team will look like geniuses for their decision to draft him by the year 2020!!!! Book it!!!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                              Clevin Hannah wasn't exactly a slouch either.

Comment

Working...
                              X