No announcement yet.

Front court freshman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The simple point with Nurger > Stutz is just that Nurger is significantly more athletic and much more aggressive/confident.

Garrett is a very nice guy. He often played that way. Nurger has a motor that runs hot. I don't think he will ever look like he's not busting his butt out there.

Oh. Kelly!

Comment

One thing Morris, Nurger and Kelly have in common is that they are actually a year older than your "traditional" freshman, due to going to prep schools or red-shirting. This has allowed them to play their first season a little more mature (physically). Additionally, the competition they played against last year (Juco level or WSU senior post players) also gave them more experience against more developed players than one would normally find at the High School level. Along with their obvious talent, the extra year has really helped in the development in their games vs the other players from WSU's past mentioned above. How many times have you seen someone post that they wished we could have red-shirted Stutz his Freshman year.

Technically, these guys are starting their Freshman year only a year younger than many of our Juco bigs Marshall has brought in. However, we get these guys for potentially 4 years!!

Admittedly, I didn't think about the benefit the additional year would provide them (and WSU) until watching last night's game. Originally, I was worried about the lack of experience in the post vs NM and terrified for the Memphis game. After last night, I'm extremely exited to see what these young studs will be able to provide. With the addition of Bush and of course Carter, they give us a solid 5-man rotation in the post (and that's not counting EW). Since Marshall has been here, I don't think we've had such a deep rotation at the 4/5. Normally, it's been just a 4-man rotation (of true contributors) at best for our 4/5 spots.

Of course, this is just one game and they weren't perfect in their performance. But what these guys showed last night should have Shocker nation resting a little bit easier at night. (That's not to say having Fred, Ron and Tekele leading our team didn't already allow Shocker nation to rest easy.)
      Last edited by jrschh; November 15, 2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrschh View Post
        One thing Morris, Nurger and Kelly have in common is that they are actually a year older than your "traditional" freshman, due to going to prep schools or red-shirting. This has allowed them to play their first season a little more mature (physically). Additionally, the competition they played against last year (Juco level or WSU senior post players) also gave them more experience against more developed players than one would normally find at the High School level. Along with their obvious talent, the extra year has really helped in the development in their games vs the other players from WSU's past mentioned above. How many times have you seen someone post that they wished we could have red-shirted Stutz his Freshman year.

Technically, these guys are starting their Freshman year only a year younger than many of our Juco bigs Marshall has brought in. However, we get these guys for potentially 4 years!!

Admittedly, I didn't think about the benefit the additional year would provide them (and WSU) until watching last night's game. Originally, I was worried about the lack of experience in the post vs NM and terrified for the Memphis game. After last night, I'm extremely exited to see what these young studs will be able to provide. With the addition of Bush and of course Carter, they give us a solid 5-man rotation in the post (and that's not counting EW). Since Marshall has been here, I don't think we've had such a deep rotation at the 4/5. Normally, it's been just a 4-man rotation (of true contributors) at best for our 4/5 spots.

Of course, this is just one game and they weren't perfect in their performance. But what these guys showed last night should have Shocker nation resting a little bit easier at night. (That's not to say having Fred, Ron and Tekele leading our team didn't already allow Shocker nation to rest easy.)
        I just looked at the roster, and Nurger is actually already 21. He will really be a man playing against boys in his Junior and Senior seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          I thought this as well, but was afraid that posting it would put me over the top on hype. My Dad, season ticket holder from 77-83, said he reminded him of Cheese Johnson. I have no recollection of Cheese.
          No one ever has reminded me of Cheese. He had such an incredibly unique game: a mix of old man Y moves, playground pizzaz, and superb athleticism at 6-5 that simply allowed him to dominate in places that he shouldn't have. Case in point: I saw Cheese drive the lane against Marquette, right at Bo Ellis, start a spin back to the left only as a decoy to turn back right to lose Ellis and then hang and double pump in the air to avoid the outstretched arms of Jerome Whitehead and float it in. This is the same Marquette that won the national championship that year.

Comment

I propose that Nurger is significantly ahead of Paul Miller in his redshirt freshman year. Miller was Honorable Mention All-American as a senior.

Comment

NURGER IS MORE ATHLETIC THAN STUZ OR MILLER. BOTH WERE VERY GOOD PLAYERS IN THEIR OWN RIGHT. BUT I SEE NURGER SURPASSING BOTH BEFORE HIS CAREER IS OVER

Comment

YES! (try the button on the left labeled 'Caps Lock')

Comment

Originally posted by Manhattan_Shocker View Post
                  I just looked at the roster, and Nurger is actually already 21. He will really be a man playing against boys in his Junior and Senior seasons.
                  I didn't realize Nurger was that old. For reference, Baker is 21 and Van Vleet is 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Manhattan_Shocker View Post
                    Actually he turns 21 in about a week ... DOB 11/24/93.

Comment

Haha I was waiting for somebody to bring that up. Either way he's one of the older players on the team already. I suppose it's a good thing for WSU though as he'll be physically mature for most of his stay here.

Comment

Kelly came to campus this year as an 18 year old, much like a traditional freshman, and turned 19 in August. Zach Brown is even younger. Despite spending 5 years in high school, his 19th birthday wasn't until September.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Kelly is going to play A LOT. He is a stud already, and after 4 years of Rosenboom, he will be a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by jrschh View Post
                            One thing Morris, Nurger and Kelly have in common is that they are actually a year older than your "traditional" freshman, due to going to prep schools or red-shirting. This has allowed them to play their first season a little more mature (physically). Additionally, the competition they played against last year (Juco level or WSU senior post players) also gave them more experience against more developed players than one would normally find at the High School level. Along with their obvious talent, the extra year has really helped in the development in their games vs the other players from WSU's past mentioned above. How many times have you seen someone post that they wished we could have red-shirted Stutz his Freshman ear.
                            The thing about Stutz, another year would have help him, but he still wouldn't have been as athletic as what Nurger is right now. To be more athletic, I think Stutz needed to be a little thinner. But then that would have affected him in the post. So you have to take what you think is the best for him, and that's what Marshall did for Stutz.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              No one ever has reminded me of Cheese. He had such an incredibly unique game: a mix of old man Y moves, playground pizzaz, and superb athleticism at 6-5 that simply allowed him to dominate in places that he shouldn't have. Case in point: I saw Cheese drive the lane against Marquette, right at Bo Ellis, start a spin back to the left only as a decoy to turn back right to lose Ellis and then hang and double pump in the air to avoid the outstretched arms of Jerome Whitehead and float it in. This is the same Marquette that won the national championship that year.
                              +1. Right on brother. And he could not have had a more perfect nickname.

Comment

I always think of Cheese as more of a finesse player and not a prototypical power player. He was famous for making "dipsy-doo" shots. If I recall correctly (and I was in HS when he played), Cheese was a pretty good rebounder and got a lot of points from put backs.
                                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X