Front court freshman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front court freshman

I was extremely impressed with all of our freshman bigs last night! I think we have some special players in the making. While Marshall and staff have consistently delivered dominant JUCO bigs, high school posts and forwards have been sparse over the past seven years. A look back demonstrates that of all the high school players brought in, only four have had any noticeable impact in game situations.

4. Jake White. As a freshman he played 21 games and averaged 7 minutes. As a sophomore, he averaged 4 and 3 in 11 minutes per game. White is now a junior at UNO.

3. Aaron Ellis. Played four seasons as a PF at WSU. Averaged 14 mpg as a freshman and was a sometimes starter as an upperclassmen. Great team guy that averaged 4 and 3 in 18 minutes as a senior.

2. Garrett Stutz. A four year player that didn't hit his stride until his senior year when he was first team All-MVC.

1. JT Durley. A Turgeon recruit that red-shirted his first year and played as a freshman for Marshall. Played 15 mpg and averaged 7 and 4 for Gregg's disappointing first season. Improved year over year and was first team All-MVC as a senior.

The three freshman we have this year have the ability to be # 1, 2, and 3 before they are done.

Morris is JTD v. 2.0. Similar size. Similar effort questions. Similar offensive skills. Morris, however, has a large athleticism advantage. If he can turn it on and turn it up at a quicker pace than Durley, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Nurger has a high level motor and admirable quickness for a kid his size. His all around game is intriguing. Although an inch and a half shorter than Stutz, Rauno has the potential to be everything we always wanted Garrett to be.

Rashard has the potential to be the best of all. He has the footwork and offensive/defensive understanding. He can put the ball on the floor. He can post up. He can run and jump. He has a mid-range game that can extend the defense. He is effortless with his dominance, and when the light comes on, he's going to realize that few players in the country can stop him. Kid's going to average 15 and 10 as a senior. Look out!

Really pumped about this class of bigs as well as Hamilton next year. Feels like Marshall has taken the next step! We will certainly have ups and downs, but last night no one looked like a freshman. The good times keep rolling!
    Livin the dream

Rashard reminds me of X-man in a lot of ways.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
      He might actually have a more impressive freshman year.
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

And since I never saw X play, I'll say I see Carl Hall's rebounding prowess combined with Early's athleticism and range (although the outside shooting still had plenty of room to improve).

Dude is a ball getter. Coach loves a ball getter.
        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

I thought this as well, but was afraid that posting it would put me over the top on hype. My Dad, season ticket holder from 77-83, said he reminded him of Cheese Johnson. I have no recollection of Cheese.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Rashard's built like Troy Mack.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
              And since I never saw X play, Dude is a ball getter. Coach loves a ball getter.
              That is the way I remember X - he would come out of nowhere it seemed and haul down the rebound - especially on offense. He was amazing.

You guys are making me feel old.

Comment

JT comparisons are totally right on. I agree with that. My buddy and I marveled last night how SM reminds us so much of JT.

I am simply thrilled with Kelly. He has the most potential of any big since X and AC. IT will be a thrill to watch him develop.

Nurger > Stutz. If not now than soon. Really soon.

Comment

17/18 frontcourt will be referenced against the 81/82 group.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Its only been 2 games and only one of them count but count me in on the Kelly is the best thing to step on campus. Last year during the Kentucky game I passed out in my basement from screaming after the Cleanthony Early dunk in transition.

I nearly did the same thing last night on one of his putbacks that he missed.

Comment

Not sure whether I should put this in here or the media love. This feels like a better fit.

WICHITA, Kan. --  What Chadrack Lufile and Kadeem Coleby had going for them last season was experience. They were men. Big, rugged, tough men who were good enough inside to help Wichita State's basketball team win 35 straight games before a loss to Kentucky in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. But Lufile and Coleby were limited in talent. They took up space and they occasionally produced some nice numbers. Lufile, especially, had his moments, with 5.9 points and five rebounds. Here's the thing about Gregg Marshall, though, that we should always remember.

Comment

I will be surprised if none of them leave early.

I think Kelly will not make it four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                          Not sure whether I should put this in here or the media love. This feels like a better fit.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...rst-impression
                          Wow! Lutz's column was picked up by the national press!
                          Livin the dream

Comment

I'd put Nurger somewhere around a year and a half ahead of Stutz. Soph year won't be up to Stutz' Sr year, but Nurger's Jr year will be ahead of Stutz' Sr year. I thought I saw a couple of rotations that had Nurger on the court with Wamukota. That means Nurger is learning 2 positions as a Fr, and may see minutes at PF. A 6'10" stretch-4 could cause matchup problems in the Valley.

I thought Kelly's motor was running at about 120%, and as soon as he backs off the throttle just a bit it will help him. I saw some Fr stuff. Some extremely quick and bouncy Fr stuff. Might be interesting to compare his game and progress to that of Perry Ellis.

Comparing Morris to Durley is fair, but I thought Morris, as a Fr, was probably playing D better than Durley did as (definitely) a Jr and (probably) as a Sr. Durley was probably better offensively from deep, and I believe had more and better post moves than I've seen form Morris so far. Morris is quicker and not afraid of contact. Morris is a significant upgrade.

So, in my opinion, Nurger > Stutz. Morris > Durley. Hamilton >>> Ellis. Throw in Hamilton, who I suspect will look like a clone of Kelly. Maybe not as muscular, but probably with more shooting range, and there's a pretty good 4-man front court rotation.

I'm getting past the subject of the thread, but the wing should be manned by McDuffie (6'7" - 6'9"??) or Brown (6'6").
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Sadly all the players mentioned above will not be here... I mean Kelly, Nurger, Morris, Hamilton, McDuffie, Glass & Bush... And we know the ones who will be here next year for sure...

Comment

Working...
                              X