Valley Preseason Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley Preseason Poll

Shox get 45 out of 46 first place votes. The other first place vote...ILLINOIS STATE!!!!! Now that is some funny stuff!!

Don't laugh too hard. I bet the vote came from Gregg if coaches cannot vote for their own players/teams. Of course, if that is the case, it does seem ironic.
    78-65

Comment

From what I heard, that is not the case. In this same poll last year, WSU had 40 out of 40 first place votes. However, even if coaches can vote for their own team, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall voted for the Redbirds just as more motivation for the Shox. Of course, we all know, this team doesn't need any extra motivation.

Comment

Good to see they narrowed the preseason 1st team back down to 5.

Baker
        Balentine
        Cotton
        Tuttle
        VanVleet

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Don't laugh too hard. I bet the vote came from Gregg if coaches cannot vote for their own players/teams. Of course, if that is the case, it does seem ironic.
          Oddly enough, I got the impression from something I read once (no idea where to find it now) that Muller is actually a pretty stand-up guy. He's competitive, yes. I would not be surprised if Marshall and Muller have talked and worked things out on the personal level. Ford is gone. The Teddy Hawkins saga has been going for so long that tension has had a chance to dissipate. Plus, it's not like Marshall hasn't replaced Teddy with great recruits and we've had all kinds of success. What do I know...

I am a little surprised that he would go with the Illinois State and not UNI. Is there a good reason to believe ILST should do better this year? I guess if Marshall says so, I'm in.
          Last edited by Dave Stalwart; October 28, 2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hardyhar View Post
            From what I heard, that is not the case. In this same poll last year, WSU had 40 out of 40 first place votes. However, even if coaches can vote for their own team, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall voted for the Redbirds just as more motivation for the Shox. Of course, we all know, this team doesn't need any extra motivation.
            The Shocker women received 36 of 40 first place votes this year. I am trying to figure out why there are 46 voters on the men's side. Perhaps some TV announcers and analyst have been added to the mix?

Comment

Im guessing that someone slipped when filling out the form online.

Comment

I won't be a bit surprised if Carter makes the post season team. I think Hall was a second teamed as a senior and I expect DC to put up similar/better stats.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  I won't be a bit surprised if Carter makes the post season team. I think Hall was a second teamed as a senior and I expect DC to put up similar/better stats.
                  Carter has a couple of things working against him. One is the 3 guards in front of him on his own team. The other is that a couple of the potential representatives from other contending teams (Tuttle, Mock) share his position. My guess is that in order for Carter to make the 1st team he would have to have a monster year, or the Shox go undefeated again. But that seems a lot like a If A, then B, scenario.

Comment

I was thinking that UNI might be the Shocks leading contender but with the recent history between IllSU why not make a pseudo-story out it.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

ISUr has the horses to make a statement this year. I like us better across the board (except Lynch), but Muller is building a very HCGM like team with strength, length, and athleticism.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

ISUr has the horses to make a statement this year. I like us better across the board (except Lynch), but Muller is building a very HCGM like team with strength, length, and athleticism.
                        Heck, he's even using Marshall's own players and coaches to do it.

Comment

I think this is a good point. If I look around the league, the team that appears to be building a program with the type of players that can compete not only within the league, but also against a number of quality teams across the country, I would pick Illinois State. I don't know if they are there yet, and I think UNI and UE have a little more ready to go this year, but in the long-term Illinois State appears to be building an athletic team that can be relevant nationally without a gimmicky system.

Geno Ford tried to do this, which is why I was excited about him. He seemed to favor bringing in athletic players, coaching them up, and playing real basketball. Unfortunately, to this point, the product has not matched that plan that he had talked about.

Comment

Doesn't Jacobson have a coaches poll vote? Maybe someone is sending a message.

Comment

@CarsonTigges: Turns out Illinois St. coach Dan Muller cast the rogue first-place vote for the Redbirds. Kept Wichita St. from being unanimous. Bold move.
                              10/28/2014
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X