No announcement yet.

Rut-roh! Interesting PR move by WSU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually fond of the "WSU W" getting confused with the similar gesture that is known as "The Shocker", which further adds to the confusion. Any time the Shox do anything on the East Coast or play an East Coast school, it drives publicity ands awareness over the top.

To teens and 20's on the East Coast, we're the cool school from the MidWest. East Coast opponent message boards go nuts when younger fans there hear they're playing the Shockers.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Very true. WSU aggressively markets to prospective students in NJ and surrounding areas as part of their geo targeting approach.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

As an old curmudgeon living in Omaha, I have no problem with the hand gesture. I don't know if old people should be doing it simply because old people, in my opinion, should just be watching the game, clapping, making noise and writing checks to the school. Leave the hand gestures to the youngins. I don't want to watch old Texas A&M fans kissing after touchdowns.

At the end of the day, is just supposed to be a "W" and nothing more. Then again, every time I see it I can't help but think two in the pink, one in the stink. And the first guy that says he doesn't think the same thing is a liar. That said, let em fly!
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          As an old curmudgeon living in Omaha, I have no problem with the hand gesture. I don't know if old people should be doing it simply because old people, in my opinion, should just be watching the game, clapping, making noise and writing checks to the school. Leave the hand gestures to the youngins. I don't want to watch old Texas A&M fans kissing after touchdowns.

At the end of the day, is just supposed to be a "W" and nothing more. Then again, every time I see it I can't help but think two in the pink, one in the stink. And the first guy that says he doesn't think the same thing is a liar. That said, let em fly!
          Missouri State fans would not agree with your condoning of sexual undertones. You're a bad, bad person MVJ.

For the record, I agree with everything you said.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think any "blue hairs" or "hyper hyper conservatives" who know the other meaning of the hand symbol are hiding something... and any protest they launch will ring as hollow as Jimmy Swaggart protesting prostitutes!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              My guess it would be a minority that knows that. Probable even less would know what shocking wheat is.
              If you shock wheat when it's not ready, it'll stunt its growth.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

For the record, I agree with everything you said.
                Agree with everything Ive said here, on mvcfans or both? You probably wouldn't agree with what I posted about Gary Carter.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  At the end of the day, is just supposed to be a "W" and nothing more. Then again, every time I see it I can't help but think two in the pink, one in the stink. And the first guy that says he doesn't think the same thing is a liar.
                  I honestly don't. Maybe 5 to 10 years ago. My first thought when I see it is what a great time in Atlanta the Final Four was. The similarity to stinky pink is as old as Gibbs to me and it doesn't come to mind unless someone brings it up. It's so old I don't even get offended when a Jaytard tries to clown me about it.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

My Omaha friends think it's the other meaning. I just act like I have no idea what they are talking about.

Good for the ADs office for getting this out.

Comment

I liked the yellow foam fingers from collegehumor.com that used to be everywhere in CKA. They even had the word "Shocker" on them. I try not to take things too seriously or get too worked up over things I can't control. I also try to not take offense when there is an explanation available that allows me to not take offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Korchek View Post
                        The ship sailed on this one a long time ago, may as well embrace it, allows for more control over the situation than ignoring/rejecting it does.
                        Totally agree with this sentiment. Its sailed, and the fanbase and students have adopted it. Better to embrace it than fight it.

I'm extremely happy over this.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                          My Omaha friends think it's the other meaning. I just act like I have no idea what they are talking about.

Good for the ADs office for getting this out.
                          Imagine that, a university that sings the Budweiser song before the game would also take the pervert route on our W.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

At Shocker Madness last year I was sitting beside a woman who had just moved from a smaller town to Wichita, and brought her daughter, a recent KU grad, with her. A son in that family went to WSU, lives in Wichita now, and is a WSU fan. There is knowledge of WSU in the family.

Mother observed the "Shocker W" and asked me about it. I explained the formation of the W with the fingers. Daughter asked me if I was going to tell her mom about the other, similar hand gesture. It's difficult to "play dumb" on such short notice with such a provocative subject, but I did reasonably well.

So, mother turned to her daughter and asked her what she was talking about. At which time, daughter demonstrated and explained both gestures to her mother with me sitting right there. I felt that was a great opportunity for me to concentrate my full attention on the on-court activities. At the end of daughter's explanation, mom's reaction was, "Oh, I see".

No shock (pun unintended). No apoplexy. No expression of surprise. No display of embrrassment. Just, "Oh, I see" as if her dughter had just informed her that the scoreboard was new that year.

Maybe this whole thing isn't as much of an issue as we've made it out to be.

Comment

My parents asked what that meant last year. After repeatedly telling them no, I finally said "go home and google the shocker and never speak to me about it again".

Comment

Yeah, I'm fairly certain a majority of the older generation doesn't know what the other meaning is. I just think people who want to shame us are the only ones that always bring it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X