Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rut-roh! Interesting PR move by WSU.

The Shocker Maniacs student fanbase apparently has a new logo:

Appears to be something developed by the WSU AD, not the group itself.

I have no problem with it; the WSU "W" is different from that other sign because of the use/non-use of the thumb. I recall the first time I saw that other sign pop up in the world of internet memes, and I was confused because I had knowledge of the WSU "W" for years before I ever discovered the other sign. Nonetheless, you can be guaranteed there will be legions of WSU blue hairs and hyper-hyper-conservatives, as well as opposing fanbases, up in arms due to their confusion of the historical timeline of the two gestures.

Thoughts?

I have a hard time making that Shocker sign with my stubby little fingers so I don't use it. Too much work for me. I guess I need to do some hand yoga. The easiest way for me to form a W is with the old okay sign.

Index finger touching thumb, middle finger, ring finger and pinky extended and spread apart, palms inward. I can do that one in my sleep and to me, it actually looks more like a W.

However, I think the student body actually enjoys the double meaning of the Shocker. So I certainly don't expect it to change.

Comment

I also have no problem but I concede that there has to be education amongst the kids and athletes on what to do and what not to do. Can't think it's too different than monitoring their twitter accounts. Different world today.

Comment

The ship sailed on this one a long time ago, may as well embrace it, allows for more control over the situation than ignoring/rejecting it does.
        There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

It would interesting to poll the students and see how many of them even know that the nickname "Shocker" is a shortened version of Wheatshocker.

My guess it would be a minority that knows that. Probable even less would know what shocking wheat is.

Composite video of the Montgomery County (MO) Old Threshers cutting and binding (grassy) wheat in 2010 with an old IHC wheat binder, then stacking the bundle...

Comment

As a hyper conservative, I have no problem with this.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              If you don't have problems with it, then you're not the same demo I'm describing. I'm conservative as well, but there are those that make the rest of us look liberal.

Perhaps I should have said old fashioned.

Comment

I only disapprove of those who intentionally demean the sign by using the other.

Is that being old fashion?

Comment

The President of ESU created the "Stinger" by extending the pinky only. The "call to arms" phrase now is Stingers Up! (the other is still F*** Washburn) Of course when paired with the other shocker, the stinger could be derived from it as the use of the pinky could lead to the name "the stinger". Does this mean WSU and ESU are now eskimo brothers? Maybe. I really think is just points to the fact that kids with dirty minds will find a way to make anything dirty.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                    The Shocker Maniacs student fanbase apparently has a new logo:

Appears to be something developed by the WSU AD, not the group itself.

I have no problem with it; the WSU "W" is different from that other sign because of the use/non-use of the thumb. I recall the first time I saw that other sign pop up in the world of internet memes, and I was confused because I had knowledge of the WSU "W" for years before I ever discovered the other sign. Nonetheless, you can be guaranteed there will be legions of WSU blue hairs and hyper-hyper-conservatives, as well as opposing fanbases, up in arms due to their confusion of the historical timeline of the two gestures.

Thoughts?
                    Thoughts??? I think you're giving the blue hairs too much credit even knowing that the "other" sign exists. Anyone have the picture of the elderly fan flashing the shocker? IIRC it was taken from a tournament game.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                      Ritalin can be a big help for this condition.

Comment

There could be a "blue hair" flashing here?

I actually prefer these hand gestures:

Final Four

Oh, I just like this photo...

Oh, I like these too...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          I have a hard time making that Shocker sign with my stubby little fingers so I don't use it. Too much work for me. I guess I need to do some hand yoga. The easiest way for me to form a W is with the old okay sign.

Index finger touching thumb, middle finger, ring finger and pinky extended and spread apart, palms inward. I can do that one in my sleep and to me, it actually looks more like a W.

However, I think the student body actually enjoys the double meaning of the Shocker. So I certainly don't expect it to change.
                          Yeah but that optional hand gesture is also used to signify 3 pointer. So that would be confusing also. Not that it can't be done, but no other casual fan would probably pick up on it on tv...etc. they would wonder why we keep putting our hands up when we don't even make a 3 pointer...etc

I am fine with embracing this one. Just have to educate people
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            I love it! It basically says "shove off" to all the goofballs that think it's something that it's not. Own it!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Looks like the university is just getting out in front of it - they know the "shocker" is going to be used whether they embrace it or not, so they are going to "define" it. Good for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X