2014-15 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    I like Adam's fervent lovefest with our basketball program as much as the next Shocker fan, but the guy is bordering on needing to rename his twitter profile to @HyperboliAdams. I don't think his above statement is terrible ridiculous at the current point in time, but he is often guilty of overstatement, so much so that some nationally don't take him terribly serious.
    "
    Did you read that the national media ("some nationally") don't take him terribly serious somewhere (like Bleacher Report) or is that just your opinion?

Comment

I like Adam's fervent lovefest with our basketball program as much as the next Shocker fan, but the guy is bordering on needing to rename his twitter profile to @HyperboliAdams. I don't think his above statement is terrible ridiculous at the current point in time, but he is often guilty of overstatement, so much so that some nationally don't take him terribly serious.
      I understand your point, but at least he's not even trying to hide it. I remember watching the Big XII tournament and seeing Fraschilla, who is considered a respected basketball analyst, gush over how good the Big XII was and how far every team from the conference is gonna go in the NCAA's, almost like someone from ESPN or the Big XII paid him to do it. It wasn't that long ago that Billy Packer cried about the MVC having 4 bids in the Big Dance... when we know the only reason he was upset was because his favorite conference, the ACC, also had 4 bids. And if you only listened to Doug Gottlieb for your college basketball analysis, you would assume that Wichita State would barely put any points on the board against any BCS team.

Mark Adams can be ridiculously corny and like you said, use a lot of hyperbole, but IMO, he does it just because that's how he feels and for no other reason. He loves rooting for the underdog, and while I doubt many of us here consider us an underdog, we are still in the MVC, which the world doesn't view too highly. He's always up for meeting fans when he's here and seems to genuinely enjoy it. It's possible that some of the national media don't take him seriously, but if that's the case, they should also take a look at some of the other "analysts" and some of the ridiculous stuff they say. In any event, I'm glad Adams is on our side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
        I understand your point, but at least he's not even trying to hide it. I remember watching the Big XII tournament and seeing Fraschilla, who is considered a respected basketball analyst, gush over how good the Big XII was and how far every team from the conference is gonna go in the NCAA's, almost like someone from ESPN or the Big XII paid him to do it. It wasn't that long ago that Billy Packer cried about the MVC having 4 bids in the Big Dance... when we know the only reason he was upset was because his favorite conference, the ACC, also had 4 bids. And if you only listened to Doug Gottlieb for your college basketball analysis, you would assume that Wichita State would barely put any points on the board against any BCS team.

Mark Adams can be ridiculously corny and like you said, use a lot of hyperbole, but IMO, he does it just because that's how he feels and for no other reason. He loves rooting for the underdog, and while I doubt many of us here consider us an underdog, we are still in the MVC, which the world doesn't view too highly. He's always up for meeting fans when he's here and seems to genuinely enjoy it. It's possible that some of the national media don't take him seriously, but if that's the case, they should also take a look at some of the other "analysts" and some of the ridiculous stuff they say. In any event, I'm glad Adams is on our side.
        adams isn't on our side at all. he's just speaking from his head. wichita state is a national contender- who can't see that? gottlieb? turgeon? team a.)?

Comment

If it is your opinion that Adams is too much so you (and maybe other fans) don't take him seriously, and possibly cringe at his statements, etc. you are welcome to your opinion. If there is actually national media who has been critical of him, please state who, because I haven't seen it. There is no doubt that he is a fan of the MVC, and other conferences not in the power 5, and that on the air he makes borderline hyperbolic statement(at least he is extra emotional soometimes ). His statements on FVV being the best point guard in America may be hyperbolic to some but I think that it actually has moved the needle toward others feeling the same way, especially after he took apart Indiana, and KU. Remember Gottlieb saying that FVV was not good enough to play with top point guards? Even KU fans who would dismiss FVV in the past, give him respect now. Those statements turned out not to be so hyperbolic.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            "
            Did you read that the national media ("some nationally") don't take him terribly serious somewhere (like Bleacher Report) or is that just your opinion?
            yes, where did you hear that Adams was not taken seriously by some "nationally". That comment sounded pretty chicken hawkish.

Comment

• With Mark, you know what you're going to get. It's like the people who complain about Dickie V. Yeah, we get it, you don't like him.

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• I love listening to Mark. I think he's very knowledgeable, and his excitement about college basketball, even non Power4+1, is contagious.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  "
                  Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  If it is your opinion that Adams is too much so you (and maybe other fans) don't take him seriously, and possibly cringe at his statements, etc. you are welcome to your opinion. If there is actually national media who has been critical of him, please state who, because I haven't seen it. There is no doubt that he is a fan of the MVC, and other conferences not in the power 5, and that on the air he makes borderline hyperbolic statement(at least he is extra emotional soometimes ). His statements on FVV being the best point guard in America may be hyperbolic to some but I think that it actually has moved the needle toward others feeling the same way, especially after he took apart Indiana, and KU. Remember Gottlieb saying that FVV was not good enough to play with top point guards? Even KU fans who would dismiss FVV in the past, give him respect now. Those statements turned out not to be so hyperbolic.
                  Is there some reason you quoted me twice with essentially the same question?

kthxbye

Comment

I think most media twitter accounts are hyperbole; I think that's their intent. If anyone doesn't take him seriously, I don't think it's because of hyperbole. It's prob because they want the hyperbole focused on THEIR favorites!

Comment

Is there some reason you quoted me twice with essentially the same question?

kthxbye
                      No special reason. I had additional thoughts and it didn't allow me to edit. kthxbye and have a nice 4th.

Comment

• It is annoying, when this message board software will not permit editing without dreaming up some work around.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Jon Rothstein
                          5 Offseason Questions: MVC
                          If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                            Jon Rothstein
                            5 Offseason Questions: MVC
                            http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ley-conference
                            My only comment to the article is that I would substitute the verbiage on Rashard Kelly with Zach Brown. I hope both of these guys have breakout years though. He is also way undervaluing what Shaq Morris will do for us this year.

Comment

• I agree, Dan -- if anything, I believe Rothstein is underestimating the Shockers. Kelly may indeed be much better; I hope so. But I think the Zach-Shaq duo are likely to be much more than role players.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                I agree, Dan -- if anything, I believe Rothstein is underestimating the Shockers. Kelly may indeed be much better; I hope so. But I think the Zach-Shaq duo are likely to be much more than role players.
                                I'm very excited to have the entire team 3G has assembled, but I would be comfortable competing in the MVC with a lineup of Baker, FVV, Brown, Kelly and Shaq. I'm not leaving out Wessel, but just adding FV and Ron to the three being discussed.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X