Judge releases ruling on O'Bannon case: NCAA loses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    It sounds to me like there are an awful lot of really good programs that are basketball only. I have a really hard time believing all of them will allow themselves to be marginalized.

Is it weird for me to actually kind of hope that all the realignment results in the Valley being the conference that gets to add in those schools and drop a few that don't want to compete? I mean, if realignment doesn't go our way, wouldn't it be nice to have this historic conference stay intact but somehow including a bunch of upper end non football schools?

Anything can happen at this point, and I wouldn't hate our conference being one that lasts as long as it's relevant
    That will take savvy entrepreneurial and political leadership to get the presidents on board with a grand vision that will result in taking some risk and making a few difficult choices. Is our commissioner that guy?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The issue is that the NCAA stopped becoming the shepherd of college athletics long ago. Instead of trying to facilitate what's best for the athletes and keeping some sense of amateurism they decided to start acting as a for profit company.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        I'm just saying, meals are provided. No college athletes are starving. Also, I don't see paying athletes as any different than paying grad students a stipend and waving tuition.
        Most schools cafeterias only serve during certain hours, and you only get so many meals, and are given same portions as everyone else. If you have ever done 3 a days at high collegiate level and tried to survive on the meal plan, you literally would be starving.

This is why the in home meals for the whole team is important to coaches. It gives an opportunity to eat!!

Comment

I don't know how the Mo Valley is structured to allow change as in dismissing current members or how difficult it would be to implement new rules that would allow current members do be dismissed but as KW pointed out its going to take leadership at the Valley level to implement needed changes.

Comment

While there is the potential for misuse and abuse by the P5, this is good for those athletes that receive these benefits. How many times do inner city athletes show up to college with only a few bucks in their pockets? Or, kids from the south go to a northern school and they have no coats and no money to buy one.
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              Most schools cafeterias only serve during certain hours, and you only get so many meals, and are given same portions as everyone else. If you have ever done 3 a days at high collegiate level and tried to survive on the meal plan, you literally would be starving.

This is why the in home meals for the whole team is important to coaches. It gives an opportunity to eat!!
              Most colleges are only open 6-9, 11-1, 4-7. You only get 21 meals a week. You only get whatever is available, just like every other student. I have done 3 a days at a low collegiate level. I guess they just took better care of us than the D-I schools.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                Most colleges are only open 6-9, 11-1, 4-7. You only get 21 meals a week. You only get whatever is available, just like every other student. I have done 3 a days at a low collegiate level. I guess they just took better care of us than the D-I schools.
                WSU also serves a 9-11 "late night" on weekdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Many schools (probably not all) have salad bars with fruits, eggs, nuts, etc. that allow students to eat different amounts of servings if they choose. My experience is that many students may not like to take part in that food but it is still there.

Comment

Has there been any more news on what this whole thing is going to do? Or is it still basically in limbo while everyone sorts out what it actually means for their own university? I feel like I haven't heard anything in a few weeks, but this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would just go away.

I was kind of expecting a lot of panic, but so far, I haven't seen much stir.

Comment

One other thing that I found at least somewhat interesting. There is a Wiki page dedicated to listing all the non-football D-1 colleges.

It was very interesting to look down the list because it shows enrollment right there where you can see it. I did not realize that Evansville only has 3,000 or that UN-Omaha (Jake White) actually has twice the student body of Creighton. Another one that really surprised me was that UW-Milwaukee has 30,000 students.

Part of me just wonders why the Valley doesn't just chuck all the schools that have a tiny student population and add a giant university in it's place under the requirement that the new school commits greatly to their athletic department. I mean, the money has to be there, right?

WSU - 15,000

St. Louis - 14,000
                      Milwaukee - 30,000
                      Cleveland St - 17,000
                      UNO - 15,000
                      VCU - 32,000
                      Illinois Chicago (UIC)- 28,000
                      George Washington - 25,000
                      George Mason - 33,000
                      Denver - 11,500

Actually, Loyola has 15,000, and their endowment is twice that of WSU. They are the biggest in the Valley by a truckload. I didn't realize that. Maybe they actually do have the ability to pony up and compete. They are the same student body size as WSU.

Comment

Has there been any more news on what this whole thing is going to do? Or is it still basically in limbo while everyone sorts out what it actually means for their own university? I feel like I haven't heard anything in a few weeks, but this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would just go away.

I was kind of expecting a lot of panic, but so far, I haven't seen much stir.
                        I believe that the NCAA stated that they will file an appeal. I think that everyone agrees that this is not going away.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                          I believe that the NCAA stated that they will file an appeal. I think that everyone agrees that this is not going away.
                          So I guess the panic hasn't ensued because no one really knows what will happen.

Comment

Endowment and student body size have nothing (or at least very little) to do with $$ available to the athletic department.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Endowment and student body size have nothing (or at least very little) to do with $$ available to the athletic department.
                              I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me like an Evansville with 3000 students and a small endowment would be way more limited.

Maybe that's not true at all, but if nothing else, it would be nice to know all your schools were popular universities. To me, that is somehow a little more fun than having a school with fewer students than Friends and Newman.
                              Last edited by Dave Stalwart; August 20, 2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

So I guess the panic hasn't ensued because no one really knows what will happen.
                                I think that at this point college athletics is in a state of confusion.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...lout/14200329/

Comment

Working...
                                X