Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge releases ruling on O'Bannon case: NCAA loses

TL;DR
    Basically the idea that student athletes are amateurs and thus shouldn't be paid is struck. She is saying that they do have a right to the money that is being earned from them such as their likeness, etc. So the NCAA, which is built on the idea that student athletes are there for an education, will have to completely overhaul.
    With the power 5 conferences recently being granted autonomy this week that is a major step towards progress. Universities will still not pay players what they are worth for obvious reasons but they will be able to provide a much higher level of compensation such as guaranteed 5 year cholarships, health insurance post college, 2-5 thousand dollar a month stipends, pay for families to travel to events, etc.
    Schools that believe they may be able to afford this who are not in the power 5 will probably scramble to join a power five or put together another conference so that they will not be left behind in recruiting, since they won't be able to offer these perks, and therefore will lose revenue and relevance down the road due to a decline in the level of competition.
    The split of the power five creates the groundwork for the upper level of universities that can afford the payment of players(maybe 100 schools?) To do so after these lawsuits are settled and universities are forced to start paying players as they are worth in revenue.

TL;DR for the TL;DR

college football and basketball on the DA level as we know it today will cease to exist in about 5 to 10 years with the courts forcing the universities to provide players of the major sports with the monetary compensation they deserve.

Uh oh. This is seeming all bad for WSU.
    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Big 12!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

At first blush, this looks bad for those schools that play D1 football, but aren't committed to it at the highest level, ergo, KU, ISU, KSU, after Snyder retires.

Comment

Sky is falling!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Big 12!
          If this all results in us somehow landing as a non football member of the big 12, I might have a heart attack

I mean, hey, most of the current big 12 would be chasing our basketball heels at the moment, and WSU is awfully competitive at basically everything but football

...and arent there only 10 schools in the big 12? :)
          Last edited by Dave Stalwart; August 9, 2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
            If this all results in us somehow landing as a non football member of the big 12, I might have a heart attack

I mean, hey, most of the current big 12 would be chasing our basketball heels at the moment, and WSU is awfully competitive at basically everything but football
            The same could be said about KU.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
              At first blush, this looks bad for those schools that play D1 football, but aren't committed to it at the highest level, ergo, KU, ISU, KSU, after Snyder retires.
              KU plays football???
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                KU plays football???
                I guess they do. Just found this highlight video.

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                  KU plays football???
                  If what KU does is playing football, I say that we can earn a Big 12 invite by putting 11 tackling dummies on the field at Cessna stadium and declaring that we have a football program. The result can't be that much different.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

It's all about greed. Too bad we have decided a free education is no longer of any value.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                      It's all about greed. Too bad we have decided a free education is no longer of any value.
                      In my opinion, this has everything to do with the legacy of cheating in the NCAA by power schools and little to do with the value of a free education. The NCAA used to allow athletes to have jobs. Real jobs. Unfortunately, many big schools that are currently in the Power 5 cheated by having boosters create jobs that really didn't exist. So the NCAA cracked downon what jobs athletes could have. Those same schools continued to cheat. So the NCAA cracked down again and made it illegal for scholarship athletes to even work. That led to rampant cheating, but now you have most of your scholarship athletes starving, while your stars are getting money from "bagmen" and their parents suddenly buy houses they shouldn't be able to afford. Reggie Bush ring a bell? How about any star in the SEC? These new rules are supposed to fix it, but my guess is that it will just allow for even more cheating. Who is going to know if the kid that's supposed to receive $300 a month is really getting $3,000?
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        In my opinion, this has everything to do with the legacy of cheating in the NCAA by power schools and little to do with the value of a free education. The NCAA used to allow athletes to have jobs. Real jobs. Unfortunately, many big schools that are currently in the Power 5 cheated by having boosters create jobs that really didn't exist. So the NCAA cracked downon what jobs athletes could have. Those same schools continued to cheat. So the NCAA cracked down again and made it illegal for scholarship athletes to even work. That led to rampant cheating, but now you have most of your scholarship athletes starving, while your stars are getting money from "bagmen" and their parents suddenly buy houses they shouldn't be able to afford. Reggie Bush ring a bell? How about any star in the SEC? These new rules are supposed to fix it, but my guess is that it will just allow for even more cheating. Who is going to know if the kid that's supposed to receive $300 a month is really getting $3,000?
                        So a classic lesson about "unintended consequences" when a beaurocracy passes more and more rules/laws then?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I'm just saying, meals are provided. No college athletes are starving. Also, I don't see paying athletes as any different than paying grad students a stipend and waving tuition.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

It sounds to me like there are an awful lot of really good programs that are basketball only. I have a really hard time believing all of them will allow themselves to be marginalized.

Is it weird for me to actually kind of hope that all the realignment results in the Valley being the conference that gets to add in those schools and drop a few that don't want to compete? I mean, if realignment doesn't go our way, wouldn't it be nice to have this historic conference stay intact but somehow including a bunch of upper end non football schools?

Anything can happen at this point, and I wouldn't hate our conference being one that lasts as long as it's relevant

Comment

Also, I'm SO glad we have a Gregg Marshall right when we do for such a time as this.

Imagine how different all of this would feel if we were struggling or even just average right now? It makes a HUGE difference being considered nationally relevant right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X