Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will start for the Shockers against Memphis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at how far above Carter Bush is....that is a tall man.
    Last edited by WuDrWu; October 16, 2014, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I thought the info about Wamukota was interesting. Seems like he's got D and rebounding pretty well under control and is working on his offense out to "mid-range". From the way that article was written, Wamukota looks to be a leader for the 5th starting spot.

If Wanukota can be a starter at the beginning of the season, it's time to sing a chorus of "Katie Bar The Door". With Nurger back, all he has to do is be ready to be the backup at center some time in December or after semester break, and I think that's a realistic goal.

If Wamukota can take over the post, and Nurger can be the backup there by conference time, then we've got Kelly, Brown, Henderson,and Nurger as Fr getting their feet wet as backups on a top-10 team.

I'm not forgetting about Morris and Holland. They don't have to be more than role players, although they will have an opportunity to be more than that. Holland will be the designated gun if our opponent's D is weak on the perimeter. If we need a real physical presence down low, Morris should be able to provide that.
      'sounds good. if holland is hesitant/reluctant to shoot the three, then marshall will have to sit him down. sorry, r'ian.. shoot it or sit down.

Comment

• I think Bush is in the lead for the 5 spot. I hear he could get us 7 or 8 extra possessions.
        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by LandStander View Post
          I think Bush is in the lead for the 5 spot. I hear he could get us 7 or 8 extra possessions.
          It's hard to have an opinion on the starting center when two key pieces were held out. The good news is that the third piece looked capable.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• After last night Nurger's stock soared. I see him as starting with Bush being developed slowly
            to back him up. Looks to me like EW will see more minutes with some time at four and
            Carter having to play some five too. SM needs to do something positive soon to be a factor
            at all.

Comment

• I like the reports you all are giving about Nurger. I would love to have a BIG four that can stretch the floor. DC will give us some of that this year, but Nurger is built like Kevin Love. If Bush Dubya or Shaq can be a strong 5 in the next couple of years, we are going to have a really really great front court.

Comment

• Based on Marshall's history, I'd guess the "starter" will be whoever gives us the best chance at winning the opening tipoff, as long as they're not going to hurt us terribly otherwise.

Who the #5 starter is doesn't typically matter under Marshall, though. This thread seems to be more about who the five guys that will have the most minutes are. And I think Bush is the answer for starter, but not for starter minutes.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                  Based on Marshall's history, I'd guess the "starter" will be whoever gives us the best chance at winning the opening tipoff.

Who the #5 starter is doesn't typically matter under Marshall, though. This thread seems to be more about who the five guys that will have the most minutes are. And I think Bush is the answer for starter, but not for starter minutes.
                  I'm really not sure that Wamukota gives us a better chance at winning the tip than Nurger. Carter, with his huge wingspan, might be just as good too. I still think Bush starts for defensive purposes and that he and Nurger both get 15-20 mpg. Carter gets 25 and Kelly gets 10-15. The rest of the big man minutes are Shaqs to earn or they will be split between Glass and Wessel.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                    I like the reports you all are giving about Nurger. I would love to have a BIG four that can stretch the floor. DC will give us some of that this year, but Nurger is built like Kevin Love. If Bush Dubya or Shaq can be a strong 5 in the next couple of years, we are going to have a really really great front court.
                    Gregg does love his M/M defense andI'm not sure if Nurger is the type of player who can take a stretch forward and chase him around the perimeter on defense. Carter yes, Kelly it looks like another yes, Brown is a yes, Wessell is a definite yes, Glass seems to be behind but he would be a yes. I don't know about Shaq (but I would question it if he is compared to JT), Bush is a definite 5 on matchups, and I would put Nurger in that category at this time too. Maybe, down the road, he can match up well enough to play the 4 but he's not quick enough right now.

Comment

• Its a good thing we have so many qualified scouts on the board that can not only peg our starting 5 but actual minutes everyone will play based one public exhibition. I'm comforted that we would not even have to hire a new coach if Marshall ever leaves. We have so many to choose from right here on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Its a good thing we have so many qualified scouts on the board that can not only peg our starting 5 but actual minutes everyone will play based one public exhibition. I'm comforted that we would not even have to hire a new coach if Marshall ever leaves. We have so many to choose from right here on this board.
                        Thanks for the vote of confidence!

In the off-season there are three things to do: post articles. ***** about the athletic department/media/MVC/P5/fans. speculate wildly.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• What's this stuff about Nurger having to chase down a stretch 4 on the perimeter on D? I can't imagine a lineup combination that has both Wamukota and Nurger on the court at the same time. I suppose it could happen, but that would be really unusual.

Nurger will defend the opponents' center. He'll only be chasing players around the perimeter if the opponent has a center who can be effective from there.

Just because he can hit from 3 doesn't make him a stretch 4. He's a center who can execute both the pick'n'roll and the pick'n'pop. In addition, he can move out to the perimeter on offense and let Carter post up the opponents' PF. Then turn the guards loose to drive the lane.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

What's this stuff about Nurger having to chase down a stretch 4 on the perimeter on D? I can't imagine a lineup combination that has both Wamukota and Nurger on the court at the same time. I suppose it could happen, but that would be really unusual.

Nurger will defend the opponents' center. He'll only be chasing players around the perimeter if the opponent has a center who can be effective from there.

Just because he can hit from 3 doesn't make him a stretch 4. He's a center who can execute both the pick'n'roll and the pick'n'pop. In addition, he can move out to the perimeter on offense and let Carter post up the opponents' PF. Then turn the guards loose to drive the lane.
                            Yep.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

What's this stuff about Nurger having to chase down a stretch 4 on the perimeter on D? I can't imagine a lineup combination that has both Wamukota and Nurger on the court at the same time. I suppose it could happen, but that would be really unusual.

I agree. I think that Bush Wam, Rauno, and Shaq will be fighting for minutes for the same position and Carter may take some of those. That's why this is a big year for Shaq. He doesn't want to be behind the other two fighting for the same minutes. This would not bode well for his future.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                I'm really not sure that Wamukota gives us a better chance at winning the tip than Nurger. Carter, with his huge wingspan, might be just as good too. I still think Bush starts for defensive purposes and that he and Nurger both get 15-20 mpg. Carter gets 25 and Kelly gets 10-15. The rest of the big man minutes are Shaqs to earn or they will be split between Glass and Wessel.
                                Certainly might be. "Who is better at tip-offs" is a pretty weird debate to have >=)

I just don't think a starter matters that much in Marshall's world. The five best players will have the five highest minutes played averages, but that doesn't mean they'll all be starters. It's very rarely meant that under Marshall.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X