How will BCS impact WSU Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    So who thinks that WSU will be working their tails off to get out of the MoVal now? It seems in the past, WSU has simply been waiting for another conference to come knocking. I wonder if WSU will now be the one knocking.
    How does this change the AAC (and Tulsa)? Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot more schools dropping football and investing that money into basketball.
    Yes, I think we're going to see another very active period of conference realignment, but this time it will not involve the P5. It will be the AAC, MWC, A10, MVC, etc. I'm guessing we're going to see some schools in the bottom tier of these conferences decide that they don't have the resources to compete at this level and downgrade their athletic programs. Meanwhile we will see a consolidation of the schools that do intend to play with the big boys. No doubt in my mind that football is going to be a major casualty outside the P5. I know that there is a lot of fear about these changes, but I think WSU is going to do very well in this new paradigm. I would be much more concerned if we had a football program to try to sustain.
    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; August 10, 2014, 12:18 AM.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Two weeks ago ADES was on 1240 am and when asked about conference realignment he commented that he and President Bardo wouldn't be doing their jobs if they were not assessing the best opportunity for WSU's future. He went on to comment about any match needing to be good for the entire organization and said that any move WSU would need to be competitive in the other sports and to win their All-Sports trophy. So your guess is as good as mine, WSU dominates the MVC and likely would have such a domination in any other league that is a step up.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        Two weeks ago ADES was on 1240 am and when asked about conference realignment he commented that he and President Bardo wouldn't be doing their jobs if they were not assessing the best opportunity for WSU's future. He went on to comment about any match needing to be good for the entire organization and said that any move WSU would need to be competitive in the other sports and to win their All-Sports trophy. So your guess is as good as mine, WSU dominates the MVC and likely would have such a domination in any other league that is a step up.
        So, no matter the conference we're in, our goal is to be the best in all sports.
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          So, no matter the conference we're in, our goal is to be the best in all sports.
          That is my take, to be the best in the sports in which we participate. In a cursory look at the situation I would say the Mountain West is a match.

Comment

As high on ADES as Marshall is, there has to be an active realignment plan for as often as the basketball program has been screwed by the MVC. I don't think Marshall would be happy if WSU wasn't perusing a better lifestyle.

Here is food for thought- What if the "historic announcement" was to move the tourny from the Lou, but enough pressure from ADES after the historic comment changed the plans.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              Here is food for thought- What if the "historic announcement" was to move the tourny from the Lou, but enough pressure from ADES after the historic comment changed the plans.
              So the MVC was prepared to move the tourney to KC or another location but WSU indicated that we are about the jump ship to another conference. Is this your 'what if'? A very intriguing thought indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                So the MVC was prepared to move the tourney to KC or another location but WSU indicated that we are about the jump ship to another conference. Is this your 'what if'? A very intriguing thought indeed.
                Or they were going to move it to Chicago.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  Or they were going to move it to Chicago.
                  I think this would have been the most likely scenario, if there was a scenario to begin with. I love it when a conspiracy theory comes together!
                  Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                    Yes, I think we're going to see another very active period of conference realignment, but this time it will not involve the P5. It will be the AAC, MWC, A10, MVC, etc. I'm guessing we're going to see some schools in the bottom tier of these conferences decide that they don't have the resources to compete at this level and downgrade their athletic programs. Meanwhile we will see a consolidation of the schools that do intend to play with the big boys. No doubt in my mind that football is going to be a major casualty outside the P5. I know that there is a lot of fear about these changes, but I think WSU is going to do very well in this new paradigm. I would be much more concerned if we had a football program to try to sustain.
                    Whether or not conference realignments occur in the coming months due to the Power 5 action is open for debate; but they have clearly created issues for schools playing football in non-Power 5 conferences in particular Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, U Mass, San Diego State, Boise State and New Mexico. These schools can argue their football and basketball teams (two money sports) are superior to some current member schools in the Power 5. Will the Power 5 seek to add these schools to their existing membership or will they seek to replace current weak conference members with these schools?

Hopefully basketball focused schools like Wichita State have developed plans to ensure the viability of their programs regardless of what decision the Power 5 takes!

Comment

I can see the P5 conferences growing to 16 schools each. The rest of the schools playing football are really going to have to scale back tremendously on funding in order to support basketball. I think the nBE will grow, and we'll also see a basketball centric super conference (in which WSU will be a member) compete in basketball with the P5 and nBE. Notre Dame will finally join the B1G. Conferences like the AAC and MWC, will lose some schools to P5 and probably implode due to attrition. Conferences like the MoVal, MAC and leftovers of the MWC who aspire to play football will have a major identity crisis.
                      Two main players: P5 football, or Super Basketball Conferences (BCS and SBC). You can no longer have one foot in the boat and the other on the dock. Gotta choose.

Go Shox!
                      Last edited by Veritas; August 10, 2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I agree with you on this scenario. I wonder though if ND can still resist joining the BIG and remain the lone big independent.

Comment

I don't see the P5 adding members. I think it's more likely they will shed some. When you've got all the marbles, where is the incentive to share with others? I think schools who aren't contributing "their fair share" to the conference might find themselves in a bad spot. If Texas vs. Michigan gets more TV revenue than Iowa State vs. Baylor, why not drop Iowa State and Baylor and play more "money" games against schools in other conferences?

Where is this "spread the wealth" conference expansion idea coming from?
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            I don't see the P5 adding members. I think it's more likely they will shed some. When you've got all the marbles, where is the incentive to share with others? I think schools who aren't contributing "their fair share" to the conference might find themselves in a bad spot. If Texas vs. Michigan gets more TV revenue than Iowa State vs. Baylor, why not drop Iowa State and Baylor and play more "money" games against schools in other conferences?

Where is this "spread the wealth" conference expansion idea coming from?
                            I semi disagree. I think the big boys need conference doormat schools like an Iowa St. I do not think they would get the boot, but I do think Texas and Michigan will want a bigger piece of the pie.
                            Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                            Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

With the new rules, conferences will all go back to 10. Castoffs will be made and 40 teams will remain for college FB.

Comment

I would be thrilled if somehow all of this creates a top notch basketball conference that we get to be a part of. The MID MAJOR EAST can stay on course because they are pretty solid, but the MVC or the A10 for example could do some work to shed some members and add others to bulk up into a complement to the MID MAJOR EAST. That's what I'd like to see. I also hope that said conference is called the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                                X