Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan View Post
    Any word on what the Big East will do?
    No idea. My guess would be that they follow whatever the power 5 do.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Valley commissioner Doug Elgin said he expects all 10 league schools will make basketball funding a priority.

"I don't think there's any question that we will certainly fund to the highest degree permitted our basketball programs," Elgin told the Wichita Eagle. "I think beyond that, selectively, schools will opt in as they are able to support and sustain other programs at those higher levels. We will certainly be unified in full support for men's and women's basketball."

Comment

As long as the Valley doesn't vote to cap the funding at a lower level than the other power conferences it should not have a huge impact on WSU. I was wondering what are the ramifications on Title IX. If the power conferences are funding football as well as basketball do they have to fund an equal number of womens scholar/athletes? I see that they are looking at an average of $3,500 or in that ball park. I know this kind of goes against my favorite quote the I used to tell my kids when they were growing up when they would say "Thats not fair" and I would reply "Get used to it because life isn't fair". I would like to see WSU fund all of our student athletes at some level. I wonder what kind of support that would get from others?

Comment

It seems that Title IX would require equal funding for women's sports. If a BCS school funds their FB team, that means there are 85 (?? - I'm not sure of the number of FB schoillies) women who have to be funded. It's pretty obvious that VB would be funded at BCS schools. Can WSU fund VB without funding an equal number of men's sports? Baseball is the real tricky one. Do players get 1/3 of the full "cost of attendance" figure?

This is going to be a huge mess until the details get worked out.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I don't think we have heard the last of this.

A student athlete is a student athlete and I don't believe the courts will allow student athletes in one sport to receive financial benefits while denying the same aide to other university students participating in (for lack of a better term) lessor sports.

Should be interesting to see how this finally plays out.

Comment

I agree that we have not heard the last of this far from it.

As far as sports being impacted by his I'm thinking that Non P-5 football may be the biggest casualty in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                I don't think we have heard the last of this.

A student athlete is a student athlete and I don't believe the courts will allow student athletes in one sport to receive financial benefits while denying the same aide to other university students participating in (for lack of a better term) lessor sports.

Should be interesting to see how this finally plays out.
                Thats kind of the way I see this thing going. I can't believe that the "Power Conferences" haven't done what they feel is their due diligence but I just can't see the Federal government putting their two cents worth in on what seems to be discriminatory funding.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Thats kind of the way I see this thing going. I can't believe that the "Power Conferences" haven't done what they feel is their due diligence but I just can't see the Federal government putting their two cents worth in on what seems to be discriminatory funding.
                  Isn't funding already discriminatory? Schools don't have to spend the same amount on each sport now. Plus, the number of scholarships varies across sports and many sports do not have fully funded scholarships at some schools at the present.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                    Isn't funding already discriminatory? Schools don't have to spend the same amount on each sport now. Plus, the number of scholarships varies across sports and many sports do not have fully funded scholarships at some schools at the present.
                    There are several ways to measure Title IX compliance I believe, but to say schools have total discretion is a stretch I think. Each school does, of course, have discretion at what level the fund their total athletic program. And they can choose which men and women's sports they want to sponsor as long was whatever they choose to do falls within the Title IX guidelines.

One issue that is pretty much impacting everyone is that the % of female undergraduates is growing (an is now the majority of undergraduate students) and that can have an impact on Title IX funding.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      There are several ways to measure Title IX compliance I believe, but to say schools have total discretion is a stretch I think. Each school does, of course, have discretion at what level the fund their total athletic program. And they can choose which men and women's sports they want to sponsor as long was whatever they choose to do falls within the Title IX guidelines.

One issue that is pretty much impacting everyone is that the % of female undergraduates is growing (an is now the majority of undergraduate students) and that can have an impact on Title IX funding.
                      I wasn't talking about Title IX (because that is federal legislation, I think Title IX compliance must be maintained at all times).

I was specifically talking about the statement, "A student athlete is a student athlete and I don't believe the courts will allow student athletes in one sport to receive financial benefits while denying the same aide to other university students participating in (for lack of a better term) lessor sports." I honestly don't see courts caring about such a thing as long as: (1) Title IX compliance is maintained; and (2) NCAA (or its successors organization) allows a disparity between sports.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                        I wasn't talking about Title IX (because that is federal legislation, I think Title IX compliance must be maintained at all times).

I was specifically talking about the statement, "A student athlete is a student athlete and I don't believe the courts will allow student athletes in one sport to receive financial benefits while denying the same aide to other university students participating in (for lack of a better term) lessor sports." I honestly don't see courts caring about such a thing as long as: (1) Title IX compliance is maintained; and (2) NCAA (or its successors organization) allows a disparity between sports.
                        Title IX compliance has meant that universities must maintain an equal number of men's and women's scholarships. Given the scholarships serve as the current student athlete compensation, there is a very strong case to be made that any other compensation packages would have to be applied in equal measure to men's and women's sports.

If a school wanted to give extra compensation to football players, it is possible that they would not have to give that compensation to every student athlete they have (just as some athletes are on partial scholarship and some are on full scholarship). However, I believe that there is a strong case that they would have to provide that extra compensation to the same number of female scholarship athletes as there are male scholarship athletes on the football team.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                          Title IX compliance has meant that universities must maintain an equal number of men's and women's scholarships. Given the scholarships serve as the current student athlete compensation, there is a very strong case to be made that any other compensation packages would have to be applied in equal measure to men's and women's sports.

If a school wanted to give extra compensation to football players, it is possible that they would not have to give that compensation to every student athlete they have (just as some athletes are on partial scholarship and some are on full scholarship). However, I believe that there is a strong case that they would have to provide that extra compensation to the same number of female scholarship athletes as there are male scholarship athletes on the football team.
                          No dispute here. My point was that I don't see courts caring if say, a football player gets more financial benefits than a baseball player gets, which is what a few posters above seemed to believe was a problem. In fact, as I stated, I think there is already a disparity across sports.

Comment

I think Title IX is bullsh!t

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              I think Title IX is bullsh!t

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

So who thinks that WSU will be working their tails off to get out of the MoVal now? It seems in the past, WSU has simply been waiting for another conference to come knocking. I wonder if WSU will now be the one knocking.
                                How does this change the AAC (and Tulsa)? Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot more schools dropping football and investing that money into basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X