No announcement yet.

Sampson out at Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sampson will get the coaches "death penalty" similar to Todd Bozeman did when he as at Cal. He will not see a college D-1 coaching job in the next 7-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by WuBoy13
      Sampson will get the coaches "death penalty" similar to Todd Bozeman did when he as at Cal. He will not see a college D-1 coaching job in the next 7-10 years.
      Is that just between the schools, or is it actually something from the NCAA?

Comment

Bozeman I believe had a 10 year "show cause" restriction. If a school was going to hire him, they had to discuss why with the NCAA. Clem Haskins has a 7 year show cause. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to hire a coach during the restricted period.

Edit
        Oklahoma's basketball program Academic Progress Rate is still only 897 out of a needed 925. Sampson never graduated anybody. That ain't gonna cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
          Originally posted by WuBoy13
          Is that just between the schools, or is it actually something from the NCAA?
          Shockball answered this.

It would be amazing if he got hired by another school in the next 7-10 years. As soon as he gets hired the NCAA will be beating the door down of said school. Why would anyone want to bring that onto themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by kansasooner
            WSU should keep Sampson in mind in the event they are searching for a new coach in the coming years.

He's a good man, and in my opinion the very best basketball coach in the country.

We're not talking about bags of cash or new cars here. We're talking about phone calls. The way his players love him really says a lot.

For some reason this got blown up into a bigger deal than it is.
            He knowingly broke the rules on multiple times, then claimed he didn't know that he had broken them! That's an honesty issue. You can't pick and choose which rules you want to follow--it doesn't work that way. His players may love him and he might win basketball games, but ultimately at the college level it's about so much more than that. He's embarrased 2 universities in the last 2 years. I personally would NEVER want a coach here at WSU that brings shame to the program.

Comment

LOL at the comparisons to drug dealers.

You guys really have no clue what you're talking about.

Sampson is not going to get the coaches "death penalty."

He made a few extra phone calls, something like an extra call per week. It was the moral equivalent to driving 45 in a 40 mph zone.

We are not talking envelopes with cash, new cars, or murder cover ups here.

We're talking phone calls. lol

Not only did his players write his initials on their shoes, but the IU fans CHANTED HIS NAME during his final two games.

Didn't hear that in the media did ya?

Real criminal we're talking about here...lol

And we don't know if what happened at IU was intentional. I for one highly doubt that it was. But rules were violated and then blown out of proportion, and he had to go.

Great opportunity for a school like WSU. Only way you will ever get a coach of this caliber.

Not that you're in the market for a new coach, but ya never know.

Comment

Not only did his players write his initials on their shoes, but the IU fans CHANTED HIS NAME during his final two games.

ESPN showed those shoes so much, I don't even remember the game highlights.

And we don't know if what happened at IU was intentional. I for one highly doubt that it was.
                Because you're a homer...

Great opportunity for a school like WSU. Only way you will ever get a coach of this caliber.
                You're either ignorant of WSU basketball or a troll. OU fans seemed to want Mark Turgeon pretty bad. I'm happy with Marshall, but thanks for sharing.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

He'll be in the NBA as an assistant. No way he gets a D-1 head coaching job for 7-8 years.

Comment

He made a few extra phone calls, something like an extra call per week. It was the moral equivalent to driving 45 in a 40 mph zone.

And we don't know if what happened at IU was intentional. I for one highly doubt that it was. But rules were violated and then blown out of proportion, and he had to go.

Say what you will but most NCAA schools will ignore him as if he had the Plague, but that is in effect what he has.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                      ESPN showed those shoes so much, I don't even remember the game highlights.
                      Talking about the chanting his name. Dickie V was talking about the IU fans hating Sampson while they chanted his name in the background. LOL!

Because you're a homer...
                      No, because its illogical. I'm a WSU fan and want to see them good.

OU fans seemed to want Mark Turgeon pretty bad.
                      um...no they didn't. And please don't compare Turgeon to Sampson. Not even in the same league.

Comment

Kelvin Sampson Court

Comment

I thought the link would be about a court of law!

Seriously, sooner, KS will be damaged goods for awhile since this has happened twice in very close time, no matter how piddly you think the violation is. He knew how he needed to handle things in order to make amends in the NCAA and public eye, and he failed to do so. He'll now carry the tag of "cheater" for some time.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand
                            He'll now carry the tag of "cheater" for some time.
                            As he should.

He didn't accidentally break the rules AGAIN. The 0U fans I know are not happy with him and are glad he's gone. IU fans supporting his antics just shows how desperate they are and/or how low thier moral standard is. I could not support Sampson at WSU and would take Marshall every time if given the choice between the two. I'd much rather have Knight than Sampson if it came down to it.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Hey, I'm not even commenting on his ability to coach. He's a proven winner. That's not the point. You gotta play by the rules, and you can't gain anyone's respect by claiming you didn't know about the rules when it's YOUR JOB to know about the rules, or at the very least know how not to break them. Whether it's phone calls or not--it's a clear violation.

He's no 'criminal', just a really stupid basketball coach who gave up the chance of a lifetime by making ridiculous decisions--not once, but 2 times in the span of a year or 2. He'll coach again somewhere and will probably be successful, but all I can say is he already had the dream job, and his image will forever be linked to cheating. Even if he never breaks another NCAA rule. It's just the facts.

Oh, and I also believe we DO have a coach of the highest caliber. Time will tell. We shall see. Coach Marshall is also a proven winner (check out his overall record), and the best part is he plays by the rules. If that ever changes, you can bet my opinion of him will change, but at this point, there's no reason to believe it will.

Comment

um...no they didn't. And please don't compare Turgeon to Sampson. Not even in the same league.
                                You're right. Turgeon is a coach that doesn't cheat and is currently at a Big XII school. Sampson is a coach that does cheat and is out of a job. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                X