not old enough to remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not old enough to remember

thought this story was interesting... anyone out there remember some of the facts of that time? was ted the athletic director fired or resign?

Ted Bredehoft was asked to resign in 1982 because of the NCAA violations.
    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Ted was before his time; marketing WSU, basketball in particular, was his specialty. I remember Shocker bread, candy bars, water, etc. Things that are routine in college sports now were kinda groundbreaking to us then. I think he also promoted the Shocker Sports Superchannel, one of the first pay per view season TV packages. Alas, his marketing edge didn't set well with everyone in Shockerland, and he was a casualty of the Smithson NCAA investigation. I remember him dancing at half court after beating KU!

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
        Ted was before his time; marketing WSU, basketball in particular, was his specialty. I remember Shocker bread, candy bars, water, etc. Things that are routine in college sports now were kinda groundbreaking to us then. I think he also promoted the Shocker Sports Superchannel, one of the first pay per view season TV packages. Alas, his marketing edge didn't set well with everyone in Shockerland, and he was a casualty of the Smithson NCAA investigation. I remember him dancing at half court after beating KU!
        Sounds like a great guy. I wonder if he'd come back to Wichita to watch a game or two?
        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Ted still lives in Wichita in the Central and Rock area. He keeps a low profile even for someone as short in stature as he is. I haven't had a chance to engage him in conversation for a few years but he was always black and yellow to the core.

Comment

OK. It's been a long time now, but I don't recall it being the "Smithson NCAA investigation". Yes, Smithson was the coach at the time of the investigation, but most of the damning items were from the Harry Miller era. From my recollection, the biggest item against Smithson, if you want to call it that, was Ozell Jones' doctored HS transcript which the HS said WSU knew nothing about.

Comment

More on Ted Bredhoft

Since this is a thread about things people are not old enough to remember, here's a story for you young folks. WSU played it's last football game against Arizona State in the fall of 1987. We lived in AZ then so we attended the game which WSU lost by a score of around 7-56 or so. What I particularly remember about that game was that Bredehoft organized big pregame party at Rustler's Rooste in S Phoenix on the East end of S Mountain. It's one of the top tourist stops in Phoenix and at the time, was the biggest grossing restaurant in the SW US. A lot of people from Wichita flew down for the game. We all met in a big tent next to the restaurant for dinner & Bredehoft had then arranged for a number of buses to take everyone to the game where we all sat in the same section to cheer on the WSU football team. It was a very cool event, but unfortunately, it was also the end of football at WSU. The game was near the end of the season. I do not remember if it was the very last game of the season or just close to it.

As an aside to the story, the WSU football coach then was a former Assistant coach at Arizona State that Ted Bredehoft had hired. Brehehoft had been an Assist AD at ASU before becoming the AD at WSU so he had good connections with ASU. The WSU football coach was Ron something. I forget his last name. I think he ended up as the coach at Fort Scott CC after that. From what I've been told, he tried to implement a stand up QB offense with the material the prior coach had recruited, re. Small quick offensive linemen that came in handy for Prince McJunkins rollout, option offense. In short, the new WSU coach did not cater to the talent he inherited is what I remember about it. I think WSU won one game that year which only exacerbated the issue with the football budget.

Comment

You failed to mention one of the greatest marketing ideas, ever at WSU. Shocker Mountain. Does anyone have any pictures of it?

Comment

Ron Chismar was the coach, he was a good guy who was not given a chance. He took the end of the football program hard, and it bothered him
                  the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                    Since this is a thread about things people are not old enough to remember, here's a story for you young folks. WSU played it's last football game against Arizona State in the fall of 1987. We lived in AZ then so we attended the game which WSU lost by a score of around 7-56 or so. What I particularly remember about that game was that Bredehoft organized big pregame party at Rustler's Rooste in S Phoenix on the East end of S Mountain. It's one of the top tourist stops in Phoenix and at the time, was the biggest grossing restaurant in the SW US. A lot of people from Wichita flew down for the game. We all met in a big tent next to the restaurant for dinner & Bredehoft had then arranged for a number of buses to take everyone to the game where we all sat in the same section to cheer on the WSU football team. It was a very cool event, but unfortunately, it was also the end of football at WSU. The game was near the end of the season. I do not remember if it was the very last game of the season or just close to it.

As an aside to the story, the WSU football coach then was a former Assistant coach at Arizona State that Ted Bredehoft had hired. Brehehoft had been an Assist AD at ASU before becoming the AD at WSU so he had good connections with ASU. The WSU football coach was Ron something. I forget his last name. I think he ended up as the coach at Fort Scott CC after that. From what I've been told, he tried to implement a stand up QB offense with the material the prior coach had recruited, re. Small quick offensive linemen that came in handy for Prince McJunkins rollout, option offense. In short, the new WSU coach did not cater to the talent he inherited is what I remember about it. I think WSU won one game that year which only exacerbated the issue with the football budget.
                    Who is Ron Chismar for $500.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                      The WSU football coach was Ron something. I forget his last name.
                      Ron Chismar

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Chismar

http://www.kansas.com/2011/11/25/211...ous-final.html
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        You failed to mention one of the greatest marketing ideas, ever at WSU. Shocker Mountain. Does anyone have any pictures of it?
                        Don't forget the camel races at football games.
                        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                          Don't forget the camel races at football games.
                          Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders packed the stadium. Still have slides of those girls packed away somewhere.
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I remember going to WSU football to see the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders! I couldn't tell you who we played or what the final score was, or anything else about the game, but I remember those cheerleaders to this day. Heady stuff for a high school boy back in those days!
                            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X