Obligations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligations

A work-friend of mine went to the WSU day at The K with my family and I. Was a ton of fun, by the way, even though the Royals suck. My friend has a 15-year-old daughter. She asked Ron Baker for his autograph and to take a picture with him, he was roaming the concourse. Baker politely declined..

Do student athletes have any obligation AT ALL to do this kind of thing in the public? What about when he is representing the school? The girl was decently upset, I think her dad felt bad because he urged her to approach him, when she was nervous to do so. Parents are members of SASO, and I pointed out that there would probably be ample opportunities for her to get a picture at some other more proper venue.

I see two sides to this.. Obviously Baker is a celebrity, and he has a right to go to a baseball game, and have a regular time and not have to pose for pictures with every yahoo that asks.

At the same time.. if this had happened with a KU player.. My thinking would first be, "what a snob."

Just being honest.

Go Shox.

I can see both sides too. I've also heard baker is a pretty stand up guy and give out autographs and pictures frequently. If I had to guess why he declined it was because he's in a stadium full of shocker fans and if he does this for one little girl he'd turn around to a thousand more fans who want the same. If it was in a smaller venue like a Walmart or something, I can see him saying ok because he won't be bombarded with a thousand other people.

Just my guess, also, there will be plenary of other chances for her to get that picture and autographs at specific functions.

I also agree that if I read that about a different athlete at a different school I would have called him a jerk. But he's a shocker and I'm a fan so I'll always consider his side first ;)
    I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
    If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

None of the players are obligated to sign autographs. Regardless, never take no for an answer.

Comment

It's got to be tough being a local celebrity like that. On one hand, there's no harm in one autograph, but you should also realize what you are starting when he does it for one kid. I'm sure Ron's been around the block enough to know when to say yes and when to say no.

Comment

I saw all three players signing autographs in the stands so maybe it was just a timing thing where he needed to get somewhere.

Comment

You said he politely declined. He is hounded 24/7 by pre teen and teenage pimply girls, as well as sexy coeds. While the latter will never get old, the former does, and when he is out in a crowd of 40,000 the last thing he probably wants is to be stuck in the concourse for the entire game.

Athletes are not zoo animals. If you want to goo goo and drool and force people to give you attention, I don't know what to tell you, except get over yourself. They are not pets.

Express, your post came off as incredibly self centered, arrogant, and reeks of entitlement. Absolutely disgusting.

Cue JH4P.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

first page.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                You said he politely declined. He is hounded 24/7 by pre teen and teenage pimply girls, as well as sexy coeds. While the latter will never get old, the former does, and when he is out in a crowd of 40,000 the last thing he probably wants is to be stuck in the concourse for the entire game.

Athletes are not zoo animals. If you want to goo goo and drool and force people to give you attention, I don't know what to tell you, except get over yourself. They are not pets.

Express, your post came off as incredibly self centered, arrogant, and reeks of entitlement. Absolutely disgusting.

Cue JH4P.
                Get off your horse, damn. I admitted that he is not in the wrong. I just think it is an interesting dynamic, one worth discussing.

I still say if I had seen Jeff Boschee do this to a young KU fan.. I would have thought he was a snob. That is just an honest fact. Maybe this is me having to rethink that judgement. Just thinking out loud, it is a fan forum, Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                  At the same time.. if this had happened with a KU player.. My thinking would first be, "what a snob."
                  I'm offended that KU mascot is a mythical bird. I demand they change their mascot to something that is not so offensive like a bag of poop.

Comment

Years ago we went to a city league game (I think) in Henry Levitt and Barry Sanders was there with a few friends about 5 rows from the top. He watched the first half undisturbed then at halftime one kid went up to ask for an autograph. He signed, and then you should have seen the swarm that surrounded him the rest of the game. I feel for the players in this position, you look bad if you say no, but if you say yes then its probably not just one autograph. I would chalk it up to it just wasn't the right time and maybe he was worried he'd get surrounded and not get back to the game.

Comment

Maybe he had to poop and was heading to the bathroom? Maybe he was going to get something to eat. Maybe he didn't want to miss the game? Maybe the girl freaked him out? Maybe he was playing hard-to-get.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Sign it Baker!
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Cue JH4P.
                          Having a bad day, are we, shock? If Express sounded like JH4P, which I don't believe he did, you sound like Fever on steroids. Get a grip.

Comment

Perhaps he'll feel badly and send her an autographed shirt or something. That would be nice. Perhaps the AD can help.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                              I still say if I had seen Jeff Boschee do this to a young KU fan. I would have thought he was a snob. That is just an honest fact. Maybe this is me having to rethink that judgement.
                              Rethink that judgment? Yes, that would be a good idea. When you really don't know all the circumstances -- and probably even if you think you do, because you almost certainly don't -- it's a good idea not to make negative judgments about people, even Chickenhawks.

Baker gave you a chance to learn a life lesson -- let's hope it pays off.

Comment

Working...
                              X