Confessions of a Shocker Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a Shocker Fan

Since we don't have a whole lot of fresh material to discuss during this time of year, I thought of this fun idea and wanted to see if anyone else had anything to add to this.

The purpose is to admit something stupid and/or regretful you did regarding being a Shocker fan. Since I thought of the idea, I will start.

In early March 2013, my wife mentioned that my father-in-law wanted to take the family to a show at Crown Uptown to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday. My wife told me the date, and I said that should be fine...facetiously adding "unless the Shockers are playing in the Elite Eight that Saturday night."

Fast forward to the LaSalle game. I was sure we would win that game, but I was also sure that CBS wouldn't put "lowly" Wichita State in the Saturday night primetime spot for an Elite Eight game, so I would be okay to watch game then go to the show that night. WRONG! After the game, they showed that Wichita State would play Ohio State in the later Elite Eight game on Saturday. I told my wife that we had a problem. 'But we told my dad that we would go, so you will probably have to miss the game." You can imagine how well that sat with me. We had a nice little argument as we drove home from our watch party. Supposedly, my wife did make a comment to my sister-in-law the next day, feeling out the possibility of me missing Crown Uptown to watch the ballgame but was told that it would be bad for me to bail on the family outing.

So...against my will...I DID NOT WATCH THE OHIO STATE GAME LIVE.

I figured that if I told the family what I was doing, I could just have the game recorded and watch it when I got home. I started to crack a little when my brother-in-law's date started to get excited looking at her phone. I told her to not say anything other than thumbs up or thumbs down. She strongly motioned thumbs up. Still, I thought it was okay. What I failed to take into account was other people at the show spoiling my boycott. Right before intermission, I saw other people at a table nearby looking at their phones, smiling heavily. I could tell from whispers that they were talking about the game, and given what the time was, I knew that the game was close to being over. At intermission, I finally called it quits on the game boycott and asked those people at the table what was happening. They said Wichita State won and was going to the Final Four.

Wow! It was a weird feeling. I was certainly happy...but I also felt incredibly cheated. Other than maybe the '89 CWS (and maybe even more than that), this was the greatest moment in Wichita sports history....and I flat out missed it. I tried to go home and watch the recording with the same kind of feeling I would have had if I would have watched it live, but it was still bittersweet. I'm sure I would have been a nervous wreck towards the ending, but I also would have been JUBILANT at the ending. It just was not the same.

I am still upset at my in-laws because I know damn good and well that if K-State was in a similar situation, there's no way in hell that my father-in-law or brother-in-law (both KSU grads) would watch a musical over a big game like that. I also have a feeling that my sister-in-law(also a K-State grad) had the attitude of "It's just little Wichita State. They aren't that important." Most important, I am disappointed in myself. I should have had the guts to take the heat and just skip the show. The bright side was that Wichita State was going to the Final Four, and I actually had the opportunity to go to Atlanta, so it all turned out well. Also, my mother-in-law did really appreciate my presence to help celebrate her birthday. If she is happy, then my wife is happy, thus making my life happy.

So, does anyone else have any weird Shocker stories like this to admit? Did you miss a big game? Did you leave a game early? Did you lose an important piece of Shocker memorabilia? Anything?

@WuDrWu, I think you need to step up here.
    Last edited by WuShock16; June 16, 2014, 11:10 PM.
    78-65

Where's the do not like button?

Comment

Fine. My mea culpa. Forgive me Wu, for I have sinned.

February 14, 2006. Bradley beats SIU in Peoria..ok not a huge deal. Lowly Indiana State beats UNI. Hey, WSU could win at home against CU and be in first place in the Valley. At least 17 seasons of frustration, but mostly 4 seasons of almost getting there but never winning a BIG game was standing in front of us, ready to explode.

After completely giving away the game in regulation with a lack of desire to get 1 lousy rebound, PJ Couisnard goes to the line to tie it with 2 FTs. First one, clank. Doc snaps. I probably missed like 4 home games from '79 until today ( I only remember 2, the Indiana State loss in 2004 maybe and Eastern Washington early one year when I was out of town). For some reason, the thought of almost getting there but yet again falling short, especially to a CU team that started 4 guys with a combined vertical of about 6mm and 1 girl, sent me over the edge.

Without warning, I spun out of my seat, up the stairs, around the concourse, a peek in to see the Creighton girl make her 1st free throw, and then out the door to get to my car, leaving my family behind. If I told you I may have muttered 1 or 2 expletives that would be another lie. I spewed forth vile commentary that was deserving of ticket revocation from the instant I headed up the stairs until I turned the radio on. It was childish and embarrassing. But the weight of all those years and all those failures, combined with my passion for the men's program had reached a crescendo, and at that moment, I failed miserably as a fan. My punishment....missing perhaps the greatest shot ever in CKA. @WuShock16: is one of a very few people that knew this until today.

I hope you suffer in the belly of Sarlacc until we return to the Final Four for making me relive this moment.

Comment

Let me get this straight @WuDrWu:, your telling me you left earlier and missed Matty B's shot??? WTF.

Enjoy. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4aUW7DH-Q

Comment

Originally posted by GoShox View Post
          Let me get this straight @WuDrWu:, your telling me you left earlier and missed Matty B's shot??? WTF.

I know, right?

Just probably the most significant 3pt shot in the history of Charles Koch Arena...that's all.

....I missed it as well.

Story goes like this: I had this hot little blonde I was dating from McPherson...and it was Valentine's day. She refused to spend her Valentine's day at a basketball game. So I folded like a cheap suit. We had a late dinner at a local restaurant, which I refused to go into until the game was over. We sat there in the parking lot waiting for the Shockers to get the upper hand...then overtime. We sat the entire overtime in the parking lot listening to Mike Kennedy paint the picture of a glorious showdown between two heated rivals. By the end of the game, she was a Shocker fan.

...I married that girl 5 years ago in December.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            My punishment....missing perhaps the greatest shot ever in CKA. @WuShock16: is one of a very few people that knew this until today.

I hope you suffer in the belly of Sarlacc until we return to the Final Four for making me relive this moment.
            In your defense, there's about 15-20,000 fans who claim they were at that game...

Maybe this is their chance to admit they really stayed home.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              In your defense, there's about 15-20,000 fans who claim they were at that game...

Maybe this is their chance to admit they really stayed home.
              That was one of only five or six games that I actually made it to that year. The closing minutes were absolutely brutal. Clutch shot after clutch shot. I had several small heart attacks.

Comment

Still Mrs. p's favorite game.

Comment

I was sitting behind the WSU bench for the last game between WSU and Creighton up in Omaha, and this guy (on the right):

He was hanging over his railing and yelling at the players and us, just all kinds of heckling, and then did his most rage inducing mime impression of crying and wiping his eyes, and I told him to shut the f up. Not a proud moment, but he did need to shut the f up.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I can tolerate berating players to an extent. But berating fans who are minding their own business and simply rooting for their team is what disgusts me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      I can tolerate berating players to an extent. But berating fans who are minding their own business and simply rooting for their team is what disgusts me.
                      The Blue Crew is annoying on TV. Sitting 5 feet from them could be classified as inhumane torture.

Also, getting to see their student section and Blue Crew included calling Malcolm and maybe I think it was Carl "floppers" and a slur for a vagina and booing them as they lay on the ground blood running from their heads after colliding at half court.... that'll leave a permanent impression on a fan base.

Comment

So you regret telling a sCUm student to STFU? I guess I don't follow.:ranting2:
                        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                          So you regret telling a sCUm student to STFU? I guess I don't follow.:ranting2:
                          Any other setting, I wouldn't. Should have taken the higher ground sitting where I was though.

Comment

Doc, I feel your pain because I, too, missed THE SHOT. I was suppose to meet my boss at work after the game (we were on a very special and lengthy assignment that had a looming deadline so I was working that weekend). The game went extra long and I was afraid my boss might be angry because I was so late, and frankly I just didn't, like you, want to see another last second loss. I left the arena and was walking to the parking lot (at that time I was parking in the lot south of the football stadium -- now a student dorm) and heard what I can only describe as one of the loudest noises I have ever heard. As I turned my head back to CKA I could have sworn I saw the roof raise and then settle back down. Needless to say, I missed Matty B's shot and didn't even know we had won until I got back to the car and turned the radio on. I have NEVER left early from a game since.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShox View Post
                              Let me get this straight @WuDrWu, your telling me you left earlier and missed Matty B's shot??? WTF.

Thanks for the memory recall. I loved every glorius moment of the game.

I did not remember, who got the assist on Matt's last shot. In a sense, surprising.
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X