the wound may be too fresh....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the wound may be too fresh....

...but in thinking over this heartbreaking season, does anything top last nights' debacle? i can't think of anything remotely close...and it's not like there are shortages for comparison.

What makes last night so bad is that it is also the culmination (at least, I hope it's the culmination) of a stretch where we've lost sizable 2nd-half leads in 4 of the last 6 games, losing all 4.

Comment

I think this shows that this team lacks that killer instinct. We had that same problem last year. It is the mentality of our current players. I think I remember coach saying something like this. This group of guys are great kids. But they are too nice. They won't, as the saying goes, step on you when your down.

Comment

I was more disappointed with the 2nd half performance at Evansville. Perhaps it was "the first time" meltdown that hurt the worst.

EDIT
        I went to the WSU vs Morehead State football game about 30 years ago. Morehead overcame the lagest deficit in NCAA history to win. It was something like 33-2 at the half. As of a couple of years ago the record was still standing. It too was painful.

Comment

Unfortunately, you'll remember this debacle for the rest of your lives.

Like a nightmare, incidents like this bring back a game we lost a home game against Bradley, who was I seem to recall was very highly ranked at the time. Thankfully, some of the facts have faded such as exact score and year, but cut me some slack, it was 50 years ago and took place sometime in the late 1950's.

Offensively we were on fire and hit virtually every shot we took the first first half. A twenty-five point lead sticks in my mind, but . . . Then we came out the second half (no time clock) and instead of continuing what got us the lead, Ralph Miller's game plan was to stall the entire rest of the game. And the lead completely disolved away and the ending was .

Not so sure the huge leads are good. Tends to result in teams coming out the second half and playing scared. The hot shooters quit shooting and the momentum goes down the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by shockball
            I was more disappointed with the 2nd half performance at Evansville. Perhaps it was "the first time" meltdown that hurt the worst.

EDIT
            I went to the WSU vs Morehead State football game about 30 years ago. Morehead overcame the lagest deficit in NCAA history to win. It was something like 33-2 at the half. As of a couple of years ago the record was still standing. It too was painful.
            Now why did you have to bring that game up shockball!! This season has been bad enough. Now I have remember that game also!

Actually, the last few games, including last night haven't bothered me. Of course I had no way of seeing last night's so that helps. For at least a month, I've just been sighting my sights on next year and enjoying the halves or minutes the Shocks play well this year.
            In the fast lane

Comment

That Morehead State game was horrendous.
              Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Maryland joined that 31 point blown halftime lead against Miami in 1984. After coming back to win that game, thought to be the game of the century, they went on to lose to BC on a miracle play thrown by QB named Doug Flutie in the Orange Bowl.

Comment

I hesitate to say this only because it's taunting the basketball gods, but nothing can compare to the Vandy debacle...yet
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

totally agreed on the Vandy game. That one will always stick out in my mind. :-x

Comment

UMKC

Comment

Originally posted by kpi03
                        UMKC
                        No, not even in the same ballpark.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

yea umkc has to be up there in this years choke jobs

Comment

Vandy is tops. I was at the game, and never did the thought of that game not making it to overtime cross my mind until Vandy had actually made the lay up and the game was over.

Comment

there was a home game approximately 5 years ago, I'm thinking it was against either Drake or Indiana State, we were up by 5 with ~5.5 seconds to go, Burns was throwing the ball in under the opponent's basket. We lost. No loss has stung as much as that one.

Edit: ok, had to look it up. it was Indiana State in 04, we were up by 4 with 6.5 on the clock and fouled them on a 3, they sunk all 3 free throws, then Burns got tied up (see mugged) on the inbounds giving them the possession with 3.5. They inbounds and hit a jumper to win.

Comment

Working...
                              X