Marshall turned down $3 MM offer from MU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall turned down $3 MM offer from MU

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2054676-kings-court-roy-williams-to-the-lakers-and-other-offseason-musings

Awesome!

...to lure the nation’s hottest coach away from Wichita State.
    It's a blessing and a curse being successful as there will be additional suitors.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Is Bleacher Report a credible source in these parts nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
        Is Bleacher Report a credible source in these parts nowadays?
        Sometimes. Jason King generally knows his stuff and does a nice job.

Comment

That's just not possible. WSU is a stepping stone

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Sometimes. Jason King generally knows his stuff and does a nice job.
            Didn't see the author. Makes sense why the article wasn't rife with spelling and grammatical errors.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think Jason King's sources were Kilgore and one of his alts.

Comment

Am I the only one who is disappointed that the MU job changed the media narrative on 3G? It used to be "he's happy, treated very well, and may possibly retire at WSU". Now it is "when a better job shows up in the next couple of years". What exactly happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by GoShox View Post
                    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2054676-kings-court-roy-williams-to-the-lakers-and-other-offseason-musings

Awesome!
                    I was unable to get the link posted by @GoShox to work.

Maybe this will work:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ch_query=Gregg Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      Am I the only one who is disappointed that the MU job changed the media narrative on 3G? It used to be "he's happy, treated very well, and may possibly retire at WSU". Now it is "when a better job shows up in the next couple of years". What exactly happened here?
                      I think this latest revelation changes the narrative for the better. Instead of "there were meetings" which sounds like 3G has interest, it changes to "he turned down a 70% raise to stay at WSU."

To put it in perspective, that's like going from 50k to 85k, or from 70k to 120k. (comparing 3m to 1.75m) Yes, I know that once you get into the millions, at some point money loses it's value, but how many people would really turn that down?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        I think '13-'14 was a little harder on Marshall than most think. He constantly had to defend our SOS because the Valley was so bad and it's hard to get a quality game in Wichita. I've heard him say he felt like some people (national media) wanted him to apologize for winning. We all know it's BS, but that would never happen in a BCS league no matter how bad it was. We still don't get the respect we deserve and I think it wears on HCGM.
                        Another deep tourney run should take care of it. '14-'15 looks good to me.

Comment

I have no idea what runs through Coach Marshall's mind regarding his coaching career, his family and what he and Lynn eventually want out of life.

It would not surprise me if he stays at Wichita State and ends his coaching career as a Shocker. It also wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't already targeted his one last coaching job assuming it would come available and be offered to him.

Roy Williams will be 64 on August 1st. Not sure how much longer Roy wants to coach. I think he really enjoys coaching young men. Not sure he likes much else about it though. Gregg just turned 51 at the end of February. Gregg is a patient guy. Could be he has already targeted the UNC job as his one last dream job to finish out his career. This might very well be the best fit out there for Gregg assuming Wichita State isn't it.

I don't see him going to Duke. I think they will make a Legacy hire. I don't think he fits well at Kentucky although I could be wrong. Not sure why Coach Cal would want to leave Kentucky and he is only 4 year older than Gregg. Maybe Florida would interest him if Billy Donovan ever jumped to the NBA, but Donovan is only a couple years younger than Gregg so he isn't waiting around for Donovan to retire. Texas might be able to entice Gregg if that job ever became available. I don't really see Gregg going to a northern climate.

So the 3 jobs that would cause me some concern are 1. UNC (where the stars look aligned about right), 2. Florida (where the stars are not aligned that well) and 3. perhaps the deep pockets of Texas as a wild card. Florida and Texas also have the advantage of no state income tax.

Off course it takes 2 to tango and there is no assurance Gregg would be the choice for these schools, although based on where he is right now as a coaching commodity its hard to believe these schools would not make a run at him.

Obviously, Gregg is at a point in his career that he believes he can be very, very, very selective and picky about where he ends up. He is enough of a competitor to want to prove to the world that he can win National Championships at Wichita State. So who knows what he might do. I also believe Lynn is a full partner with Gregg regarding any decisions about where Gregg will coach.

The bottom line is that right now he is the Coach of the Wichita State Shockers and it appears it will take a very, very special opportunity in 3G's mind to change that.

Comment

You just don't leave the players we have right now. This might sound crazy-hopefully not on a WSU board-but this is a team that can win it all.

I think Marshall believes that. That's gotta be a lot of why he is here still.

...that, and then the stuff about his family and how he is loved here

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                              You just don't leave the players we have right now. This might sound crazy-hopefully not on a WSU board-but this is a team that can win it all.

I think Marshall believes that. That's gotta be a lot of why he is here still.

...that, and then the stuff about his family and how he is loved here
                              I think maybe there is a special bond that 3G has with Fred, Ron and Tekele and perhaps even Evan. Fred's loyalty and Ron's willingness to sacrifice to be a part of his program plus the hard work and toughness that Tekele and Evan bring to bear no doubt mean an awful lot to Coach Marshall. Yes, we love him but he will be loved wherever he goes. Ultimately, he will make the decision based what he believes is in the best long term interest for him and his family. As it should be. But for now he's our guy and we may as well enjoy every minute that we can.

Comment

Working...
                              X