Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
    Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
    But Cold, if you would put your reading glasses on you would realize that curve actually represents the path of your comment from the point you apparently were trying to make, thus the resulting curve from my response.

Please revise so that we both understand the point you are trying to make.
    I don't usually agree with Cold and so I will not try to comment on the meaning of his point. However I think he "hit the nail on the head" with his remark "The ultimate measuring stick of a coach (recruiting aside) is what he is able to get out of what he has." I think Marshall started the season unwilling to modify his system; I think, on the one hand, that he has learned to use the talent he has available and, on the other hand, the players are getting better at his system. In some ways, I have not been impressed with Marshall; I think our early shooting problems were due to Marshall's system and coaching style and I notice that our shooting seems to be better now. I hope in the future that Marshall is able to adjust his system as is required to maximize the success of the team.
    The difference between doing the same thing over and over again that doesn't work versus doing something that has worked over and over again comes into play. He went into Winthrop and made a difference. He couldn't have known that the team would be so slow coming around, but at that point, after they have displayed thier inability to adapt or learn well, do you really want to change yet again?

I think he has gotten a lot out of these kids, but they are just not as good as the other teams in the Valley that have a lot more depth, don't have so many new people, a new coach, and a lack of mental toughness that it requires to go through such a demanding schedule of practices, games, and class.

Comment

But Cold, if you would put your reading glasses on you would realize that curve actually represents the path of your comment from the point you apparently were trying to make, thus the resulting curve from my response.

Please revise so that we both understand the point you are trying to make.
      I don't usually agree with Cold and so I will not try to comment on the meaning of his point. However I think he "hit the nail on the head" with his remark "The ultimate measuring stick of a coach (recruiting aside) is what he is able to get out of what he has." I think Marshall started the season unwilling to modify his system; I think, on the one hand, that he has learned to use the talent he has available and, on the other hand, the players are getting better at his system. In some ways, I have not been impressed with Marshall; I think our early shooting problems were due to Marshall's system and coaching style and I notice that our shooting seems to be better now. I hope in the future that Marshall is able to adjust his system as is required to maximize the success of the team.
      The difference between doing the same thing over and over again that doesn't work versus doing something that has worked over and over again comes into play. He went into Winthrop and made a difference. He couldn't have known that the team would be so slow coming around, but at that point, after they have displayed thier inability to adapt or learn well, do you really want to change yet again?

I think he has gotten a lot out of these kids, but they are just not as good as the other teams in the Valley that have a lot more depth, don't have so many new people, a new coach, and a lack of mental toughness that it requires to go through such a demanding schedule of practices, games, and class.
      So should I interpret what you are saying as P.J., Gal, Braeuer, Durley, Thomasson, and Clemente as players that would be 2nd or 3rd string on the current Drake team?

T

...8)

Comment

I'm not going to compare apples to oranges. What makes Drake so good is not the talent they have, but how well they play together. They get the system they are in. They know thier roles, and have worked hard to get to where they are at. Will Josh Young be as good next year? Not even close would be my projection. With the other players demading defensive attention, he has had a great season, but when the pressure is on him with what appears to be very little help, he will not do as well.

Comment

Arkansas Tech vs Wichita State 11-03-07
          TOTAL FG% 47.4%
          3-Pt. FG% 38.5%

Pittsburg St. vs Wichita State 11-08-07
          TOTAL FG% 38.0%
          3-Pt. FG% 33.3%

Ark.-Pine Bluff vs Wichita St. 11-13-07
          TOTAL FG% 44.9%
          3-Pt. FG% 45.0%

Baylor vs Wichita State 11/16/07
          TOTAL FG% 33.9%
          3-Pt. FG% 26.1%

Wichita State vs Monmouth 11/17/07
          TOTAL FG% 32.6%
          3-Pt. FG% 11.8%

University of Illinois-Chicago vs Wichita State 11/19/07
          TOTAL FG% 49.1%
          3-Pt. FG% 33.3%

Wichita State vs. Wyoming 11/24/07
          TOTAL FG% ???
          3-Pt. FG% ???

Appalachian State vs Wichita State 11/29/07
          TOTAL FG% 40.0%
          3-Pt. FG% 37.0%

UMBC vs Wichita St. 12-04-07
          TOTAL FG% 53.1%
          3-Pt. FG% 57.1%

UTA vs Wichita St. 12-07-07
          TOTAL FG% 34.4%
          3-Pt. FG% 13.8%

Wichita State vs UMKC 12/15/07
          TOTAL FG% 37.8%
          3-Pt. FG% 23.5%

LSU vs Wichita St. 12-19-07
          TOTAL FG% 40.0%
          3-Pt. FG% 10.5%

UAB vs Wichita St. 12-22-07
          TOTAL FG% 41.5%
          3-Pt. FG% 46.2%

Drake vs Wichita St. 12-29-07
          TOTAL FG% 39.6%
          3-Pt. FG% 14.3%

Illinois State vs Wichita St. 01-01-08
          TOTAL FG% 28.3%
          3-Pt. FG% 23.5%

Wichita State Shockers vs Bradley Braves 01-05-08
          TOTAL FG% 64.3%
          3-Pt. FG% 45.5%

Wichita State vs Missouri State 01/08/08
          TOTAL FG% 28.1%
          3-Pt. FG% 20.0%

Creighton vs Wichita St. 01-12-08
          TOTAL FG% ???
          3-Pt. FG% ???

I'm getting tired of this. Feel free to continue for me http://www.goshockers.com/SportSelec...51&SPSID=61181
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'm sure the 150 Drake fans are just as amazed by this season as we are.
            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Why leave JT in the game near the end of regulation??? I don't think this was a good coaching decision; RC was playing much better. (Yes, I know the conventional wisdom - it's wrong.)

I am just about fed up with basketball. I would ask "How do you give up a 21 point lead?" but I already know the answer because I watched it happen. My opinion of Marshall's coaching decisions is ... best left unposted. Here are some questions:
              1. Why not continue to attack the basket rather than try to run out the clock? (What got us the 21 point lead in the first place?)
              2. Why not throw WP and any other warm body into the game when the 21 point lead was disappearing? (At least we could wear out the other team and keep our starters fresh.)
              3. Why not keep the "hot player" (RC) in the game?

At least the refs were terrible. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I didn't watch the game but heard the last 2 mins. of regulation. Can anybody explain to me how the opponent was able to get across court in three seconds for a clean basket? Why wasn't he flattened so he would at least have to earn the tie?

P.S.

I think we need to start recruiting the type of athletes that Drake has...

T

...8)

Comment

Just like the moment in the Simpson's movie where Grandpa gets hit with the light, Cold is currently the prophet speaking the truth on Shockernet.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
                    Just like the moment in the Simpson's movie where Grandpa gets hit with the light, Cold is currently the prophet speaking the truth on Shockernet.
                    In this case, we need to abandon ship now. ;-) :lol:

Comment

What if this is the best anyone can get out of these players?

What if he has adjusted to the abilities (or deficiencies) of these players?

I've heard multiple times that you have to "modify the system to the players you have" but I'm still waiting to hear what alternative system some of you "coaches" would run.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                      X