No announcement yet.

Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, it wasn't too long ago people thought of Wichita State in the same breath with Drake.

We shouldn't go around acting like we haven't gone through stretches of mediocrity to downright pitiful.

Thanks to the fans, strong local business support and 2 very good coaching hires, the Men's program is back on track to become something special for a great number of years.

And to anyone who thinks HCGM will leave to go to SC or LSU, remember how long he was at Winthrop. I suspect he will be here at least until Coach K or Coach Williams retires. Then, yeah, he may leave. But we will be over the top by then, be in the running for any recruit which fits our system, and will get another quality coach to happily come in.

Comment

You know, it wasn't too long ago people thought of Wichita State in the same breath with Drake.
      Short-timer,

What planet are you from?

T

...8)

Comment

What type of mentality would make up the kind of player that would sign with a program that hadn't had a winning season in twenty years?

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          What type of mentality would make up the kind of player that would sign with a program that hadn't had a winning season in twenty years?
          One that wanted to play right away. Or maybe thought he had a chance to do something that no one else has done at the school in quite some time. And guess what? They are doing just that.

Comment

Perhaps the genius in coach Keno's remarkable feat this year is that he devised/maintained a system to fit his players instead of trying to force his players into a system? He maximized the talent that he has (which must be very little), hiding weaknesses along the way and creating a complete team that wins.

The ultimate measuring stick of a coach (recruiting aside) is what he is able to get out of what he has.

T

...8)

Comment

I have no idea. All I know is that WSU has been great for short stretches of time since Littleton, but never sustained, and from 1989 to 2003, while we did have a couple winning records, we were not a very good program.

But we are now to the point that going 17-14 and 10-15 and being very competitive with almost every team we played is a down year, vs. 9-19 when people we couldn't compete with many teams.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                One that wanted to play right away. Or maybe thought he had a chance to do something that no one else has done at the school in quite some time. And guess what? They are doing just that.
                What made Cleo Littleton come to Wichita State? It's about faith and belief in a system, a coach, a school, and a city.

You sound more and more like a really old man recalling the "Good ol' days" when gas was 10 cents, people didn't work on the weekends, and the highlight of your life was the "Golden Years" of 1978 through 1986. You had almost let go of the fact that those were the happiest years of your life, then Coach Turgeon takes us back to the Sweet 16. Now, it's back to the "Grumpy Old Man" syndrome that leads to putting people down for having faith, jumping from one side of the fence to the other just to argue, and wondering where the heck you parked your car (even though they took your license away 15 years ago).

Have some coffee, use some Bengay, and take a nap.

Comment

Perhaps the genius in coach Keno's remarkable feat this year is that he devised/maintained a system to fit his players instead of trying to force his players into a system? He maximized the talent that he has (which must be very little), hiding weaknesses along the way and creating a complete team that wins.

The ultimate measuring stick of a coach (recruiting aside) is what he is able to get out of what he has.

T

...8)
                  Cold: I agree 100% - make that 1000% ... 1000000% :lol:
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Re: Drake

According to the Shocker Basketball Media Guide, WSU's series with Drake is WSU's longest series with any team. We have played them more than any other team, 131 times. In a way, Drake is part of WSU's history. Might want to think twice before disparaging them.

Comment

Where do these people come from?? *sigh* The signs of an ever-evolving fan-base...

Drake is a part of WSU's history like Baylor is a part of Kansas'.

T

...8)

Comment

Where do these people come from?? *sigh* The signs of an ever-evolving fan-base...

T

...8)
                        Kansas has played Baylor 13 times.

Wichita State has played Drake over 130 times.

Yeah, a little bit of difference there.

Comment

T

...8)
                          While composing my latest entry I suffered a conundrum while attempting to type the possessive form of Kansas. If any share in my enthusiasm to uncover an answer please read the following:

Don't Be So Possessive!
                          The Legal Times has a droll commentary on syntax:

As one of its final acts last term, the U.S. Supreme Court issued Kansas v. Marsh, a case involving the constitutionality of a state death-penalty statute. The 5-4 decision exposed the deep divide that exists among the nation's intellectual elite regarding one of society's most troubling issues--namely, whether the possessive form of a singular noun ending with the letter "s" requires an additional "s" after the apostrophe.

The issue reached a crescendo in Marsh primarily because of two circumstances. First, the statute in question originated from a state with a name ending in "s." Second, the majority opinion was written by a justice whose last name ends in "s." Given the confluence of these factors, it was inevitable that the justices' philosophical differences on matters of American usage would be thrust into the spotlight.

Justice Clarence Thomas, writing for the Court (and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. and Justices Samuel Alito Jr., Anthony Kennedy and Antonin Scalia), concluded that the Kansas statute was not unconstitutional. In reaching this conclusion, Thomas repeatedly referred to the relevant law as Kansas' statute.

In response, Justice David Souter wrote a dissent that was joined by Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John Paul Stevens. The dissent revealed Souter's bitter disagreement with both the substantive conclusion of the majority and the grammatical philosophy of the opinion's author. Whereas Thomas apparently believes that whenever a singular noun ends in "s," an additional "s" should never be placed after the apostrophe, Souter has made equally clear his conviction that an "s" should always be added after the apostrophe when forming a singular possessive, regardless of whether the nonpossessive form already ends in "s."

The Wall Street Journal's position on the possessive of Kansas is the same as Justice Thomas's: It should be Kansas', with no additional "s." But our rule is complicated enough that Thomas's isn't an error. From the Journal stylebook:

SINGULAR NAMES ENDING IN S: Ordinarily, add 's whether the name's final s is sounded or not: Jules's computer, Mr. Jones's neighborhood, Dickens's novels, Illinois's capital, Arkansas's governor.

Use only an apostrophe in these cases: ancient classical names: Euripides' dramas, Socrates' life, Achilles' heel; names of more than one syllable when the last syllable starts as well as ends with an s or s sound and when that last syllable is unaccented: Kansas' law, Moses' journey, Jesus' teachings, Texas' cowboys.

Meanwhile, London's Daily Telegraph reports (hat tip: Daniel Freedman) that "a secret guide that has helped generations of BBC newsreaders pronounce difficult words and odd-sounding names is to be made public for the first time":

The training manual offers advice on words such as schedule, controversy and kilo-metre, as well as troublesome modern names including al-Qa'eda and J K Rowling.

We don't know what a "kilo-metre" is, but if "schedule" and "controversy" are difficult words, the British really have trouble speaking English!

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

T

...8)
                            Kansas has played Baylor 13 times.

Wichita State has played Drake over 130 times.

Yeah, a little bit of difference there.

T

...8)

Comment

But Cold, if you would put your reading glasses on you would realize that curve actually represents the path of your comment from the point you apparently were trying to make, thus the resulting curve from my response.

Please revise so that we both understand the point you are trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                                But Cold, if you would put your reading glasses on you would realize that curve actually represents the path of your comment from the point you apparently were trying to make, thus the resulting curve from my response.

Please revise so that we both understand the point you are trying to make.
                                I don't usually agree with Cold and so I will not try to comment on the meaning of his point. However I think he "hit the nail on the head" with his remark "The ultimate measuring stick of a coach (recruiting aside) is what he is able to get out of what he has." I think Marshall started the season unwilling to modify his system; I think, on the one hand, that he has learned to use the talent he has available and, on the other hand, the players are getting better at his system. In some ways, I have not been impressed with Marshall; I think our early shooting problems were due to Marshall's system and coaching style and I notice that our shooting seems to be better now. I hope in the future that Marshall is able to adjust his system as is required to maximize the success of the team.
                                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                                X