Best game of the 2014 NCAA tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best game of the 2014 NCAA tourney

UK fan here. It is my opinion that the WSU-UK game has been the best game of the tourney although there are a few more games left. I say this to complement your team. As a UK fan I know what it feels like to come out of the short end of the stick in a great game aka UK and Duke when they hit the game winner at the buzzer. When I have watched the replay I don't know how we beat you when your guys played such a great game too.

I kind of would enjoy a 'list' of best games...obviously I think the Shockers/Wildcats is the best AND best played, but Kentucky's last two games have been incredibly exciting....

Comment

In fairness I stopped watching after our loss. I did catch the last bit of the next to Kentucky games and they looked like they were decent games. But yeah, of all the games I did watch our game easily was the best game.

Comment

The thing that was great about this game is that it was a game that was won on good plays. There wasn't any sloppiness with an abundance of turnovers, bad shots, or garbage play like that. It was haymaker after haymaker after haymaker. There was no knockout punch. Other than WSU pushing it to 9 towards the end of the first half, I don't think the lead ever got much more than 5 or 6 for both sides, especially in crunch time in the latter part of the second half. It went 15 rounds, and Kentucky had just a couple more points at the end.

I hated that my team had to lose that, but that was probably the best basketball game I have ever attended.
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
          I kind of would enjoy a 'list' of best games...obviously I think the Shockers/Wildcats is the best AND best played, but Kentucky's last two games have been incredibly exciting....
          Like this one?

Comment

The only games I have watched are the last 2 UK games, both of which have been really good games. UK deserves its place in the Final 4 for sure. To put Marcus Lee on the all Midwest Team over Cle was a sham but whatever. I'm rooting for UK to take the trophy but it sure is bittersweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              The only games I have watched are the last 2 UK games, both of which have been really good games. UK deserves its place in the Final 4 for sure. To put Marcus Lee on the all Midwest Team over Cle was a sham but whatever. I'm rooting for UK to take the trophy but it sure is bittersweet.
              The midwest regional team was just for players who played on teams that made it to the regional, and we did not.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
                Wow...great article...THANK YOU!!!:)

Comment

All of the talking heads seem to think that the UK v. WSU is the best game.

I have not heard a single broadcaster say otherwise.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

UK vs. WSU has been the best game. I don't think there has been two teams as completely dialed in and ready to give it their complete effort as UK and WSU were in this matchup. They actually played good basketball for the entire 40 minutes.

However, there have been quite a few exciting games. UK-Michigan, Dayton-Ohio State, Dayton-Syracuse, Louisville-Manhattan, Duke-Mercer. There's a big distinction in my head though.

Comment

The last two UK games have been sloppy and poorly played, but close... In no way are they even close to the UK/WSU game....

Comment

missed free throws by wichita state was the difference.

bob lutz, ku homie, eagle sports writer/columnist, loved it, gright. he waited all year for that. wichita has a ku homer as their sports columnist (he especially hates k-state.. ). so that's whats going on down here.

uk vs wsu must be a three year series, starting next year.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          missed free throws by wichita state was the difference.

bob lutz, ku homie, eagle sports writer/columnist, loved it, gright. he waited all year for that. wichita has a ku homer as their sports columnist (he especially hates k-state.. ). so that's whats going on down here.

uk vs wsu must be a three year series, starting next year.
                          Making those free throws would have helped. But they weren't they only difference maker.

Here are the ones that stick out the most for me.
                          1. missed dunk by Early (from pass by Wiggins)
                          2. missed finger roll by Early
                          3. layup by Baker, after a steal, was blocked (reverse layup would have prevented the block)
                          4. layup by Baker, driving from the corner, was blocked (again, a reverse layup would have prevented the block)
                          5. 5-second call on the out-of-bounds play by VanVleet

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            Making those free throws would have helped. But they weren't they only difference maker.

Here are the ones that stick out the most for me.
                            1. missed dunk by Early (from pass by Wiggins)
                            2. missed finger roll by Early
                            3. layup by Baker, after a steal, was blocked (reverse layup would have prevented the block)
                            4. layup by Baker, driving from the corner, was blocked (again, a reverse layup would have prevented the block)
                            5. 5-second call on the out-of-bounds play by VanVleet
                            1. missed free throws

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                              1. missed free throws
                              Yes. I meant to say mine were in addition to the free throws.

Also, on the 5-second call, there was no guarantee we would have scored anyway, even if Fred had beaten the 5-second call. All the others were ones we would normally score on.

Comment

Working...
                              X