Arizona Dismay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogo View Post
    I wasn't there and don't know what was going on. I would be interested to know if there was burning and looting or people being assaulted. Crowd control is difficult at best and never ends in a good way for either side. Not a good idea to provoke the law who carry more deadly weapons and by the same token not a good idea to provoke a much larger group of students that have been drinking. I think that whole thing could have been handled better by the police.
    This was a quote from the Arizona Daily Wildcat mentioned in the first post: "Riot police formed a line across University Boulevard following the conclusion of the basketball game. Officers on motorcycles circled fans lined up along University Boulevard. Fans then began throwing smoke bombs, beer and other objects at the line of police.
    Riot police responded by hurling pepper canisters and shooting pepper balls at fans. Dozens of students and fans, including a Daily Wildcat editor, were shot with pepper balls by riot police."

In the second video in post #12, look at the 25 second mark and you will see something flashing thrown from the crowd. Also at that point you will see the individual shown in the first video, already standing out from the crowd with spotlights on him. Can't hear if anything was said, but the spotlight would tell me they were wanting him to go back and not approach. When he approached anyway, the riot police acted. From our perspective, probably over reacted. From their perspective, they have procedures to follow for their own safety, minimal as the threat may be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      From our perspective, probably over reacted. From their perspective, they have procedures to follow for their own safety, minimal as the threat may be.
      The situation probably needs to be thoroughly reviewed to see if it could have been handled better. In defense of the police it is very difficult to assume any threat is minimal especially when you have so many, well-lubricated and emotional people perhaps encouraging each other to push the envelope further than they might otherwise do if acting individually.

Comment

Never ever talk to the cops. Ever.

Comment

I wasn't there and don't know what was going on. I would be interested to know if there was burning and looting or people being assaulted. Crowd control is difficult at best and never ends in a good way for either side. Not a good idea to provoke the law who carry more deadly weapons and by the same token not a good idea to provoke a much larger group of students that have been drinking. I think that whole thing could have been handled better by the police.
          Better to shoot Pepper balls than bullets.

Comment

Water canons do a much more effective job to disperse a crowd. Pepper balls just have a tendency to piss off alot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by RampageWSU View Post
              Video is disappointing...didn't even show the coolest part, where the guy gets absolutely lit up with pepper balls, and hangs in there like a champ!

It sounds like they're in a celebratory mood.

Is that what Arizona fans do when they lose in the NCAA Tournament? They party it up in the streets?

What an embarrassment.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think what wsushox was pointing out that arizona has a whole bunch of students from the state of california enrolled. Just like there are a bunch of students enrolled at colorado that are from california as well as the east coast. They are both seen as party schools and far enough away from mom and dad to suit both parties.
                I seriously doubt that. He was reacting to the fact that the game was played in California and his own personal opinion of Californians, as you are. I have seen that same attitude expressed multiple times on this board. The riot was in Arizona. How can you logically assume that it has anything to do with California? The primary reason California students go out of state is simply their inability to get into the school of their choice within California or to take advantage of scholarship offers available elsewhere. People such as yourself with probably limited knowledge of the state react to stereotypes. California is a big state, no need to go elsewhere to find a good party school far from home.
                Last edited by Calshockfan; March 31, 2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I have several friends out in LA. They say that people who are from California that go to school out of state are looked down upon, as if there is something wrong with them. They also say that this is true for out of state people to a lesser extent. It's weird. So as Calshockfan says, there probably aren't a ton of California people at Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    With our demographics we would have thrown our canes and dentures.
                    Ok, that made me laugh.
                    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Look up where the majority of U of A went to high school ... Might alleviate this debate
                      Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        With our demographics we would have thrown our canes and dentures.
                        I can assure you that my generation would never throw our dentures. Were too smart for that. We would throw our used Depends. Those can be a real pisser.

Comment

Working...
                        X