So many little things....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many little things....

Honestly I think as fans we invest too much into these games. Im sure there are 15-20 players and coaches from todays game laying around the ICT right now going over so many "what if's" from todays game, they put their heart and soul into this season. But, I cant for the life of me figure out why I am up at 1am reliving the little things that were the difference in a two point game. What if, Nick Wiggins makes the 2 FT's with 5 min left that would of put WSU up 6, What if Cle doesnt mishandle the Oop from Wiggins that would of put Shox up 5, What if FVV decides to pull the ball out and reset the O instead of getting the charging call, what if Cle doest get the unkind roll on quickest spin move I ve seen in my life with 2 min to go.....I guess the biggest what if is what if FVV makes the three to win game.......Dam it suks that the season is over, but Im dam proud of this team and I cant wait for next year. PS If Kentuck plays like they did today v Lville they will win by 10+

If UK plays like the did today, NCAA championship #9 is a mortal certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      And we had them....

Comment

Yes. There were little

But I'm thinking of all the big things that they DID do. And it makes it a little better.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

What if Gregg Marshall never came to Wichita?

All the perspective I need... O:-)

We are blessed..
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            And what pisses me off is the question of "where the hell was that effort all season?" That team did not have the talent of an 8 seed. Its collective effort (or lack thereof) all season got it the 8 seed. Yesterday's effort doesn't lose at South Carolina or LSU. Yesterday's effort doesn't lose two regular season game to Florida by a combined 29 points. Yesterday's effort doesn't get swept by Arkansas.

I am not into conspiracy theories, but looking back, it stings to know that the other #1s got double-digit wins over Pitt, Gonzaga, and Memphis while we were paired with a Kentucky team that finally decided to pull its head out of its backside and play like it is capable.
            78-65

Comment

The difference in the game came to just a few things in my opinion: FVV hitting his head, and him picking up two quick fouls early in the 2nd half. A lot of people will look at the box score and think Early and Baker were more important to us, but Van Vleet was the reason we were able to take a lead in the 1st half. His defense was the only thing that managed to stop UK's offense the entire game, and his passing was letting everyone else play at an even higher level. I think the landing on his head shook him up just enough that his game suffered, and the fouls forced him to play tentatively the rest of the game instead of letting him disrupt the game like he did in the 1st half.

All the other little things added up (missing FTs, alley-oops, getting blocked on a transition play that could have been a dunk), but FVV was our engine. The good news is that he will be back next year, and IMHO will be even better than he was this year (and I truly believe he should win the Cousy award). And next year we will actually have guys that can come off the bench and contribute, instead of being forced to either wear out our starters. If we had two PGs ready to contribute off the bench FVV probably wouldn't have picked up those two quick fouls, and this game could have played out differently.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                And what pisses me off is the question of "where the hell was that effort all season?" That team did not have the talent of an 8 seed. Its collective effort (or lack thereof) all season got it the 8 seed. Yesterday's effort doesn't lose at South Carolina or LSU. Yesterday's effort doesn't lose two regular season game to Florida by a combined 29 points. Yesterday's effort doesn't get swept by Arkansas.

I am not into conspiracy theories, but looking back, it stings to know that the other #1s got double-digit wins over Pitt, Gonzaga, and Memphis while we were paired with a Kentucky team that finally decided to pull its head out of its backside and play like it is capable.
                This ^^

The team would have destroyed any other 8/9 matchup.

I wish their was a way that the NCAA could be held accountable for this.

Sadly, they will continue to get rich while our kids are sitting at home wondering "what if?"...
                The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  This ^^

Sadly, they will continue to get rich while our kids are sitting at home wondering "what if?"...
                  Absolutely. On all counts.

Also, after yesterday, it's reached the point for me that I don't give a flying crap what the haters think. I know this team was special and really was that good. Anyone who doesn't believe it is obviously just pointing to the names on the jerseys and did not really watch the game, or is just being a hateful troll.

I don't know who that was I saw playing K-State on Friday, but the Kentucky team of yesterday seems to have reached a whole new level. I firmly believe if they had not stopped us, it would have been between us, Florida, and Michigan State for the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    What if Gregg Marshall never came to Wichita?

All the perspective I need... O:-)

We are blessed..
                    Yes. You just put your finger on it. WSU is where it is because of so many positive what ifs that went the programs way.

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing, so many little things that if just one went our way. The missed oop dunk was huge, instead of going up 5, UK went the other way and got it down to 1. Wessell missing the lay-in on the nice out of bounds play, then missing both FT's. FVV's 4th foul on the hand check was a joke. Then Cle has the lay-in roll out, and next possession (I think) Cotton's 3 does the same thing. Every ball out of bounds seemed to go their way, even when it looked like they hit it out. Any one of those plays could have turned it, it just seemed like it wasn't mean to be. I would take FVV shooting a straight on 3 for the win any day of the week and like our chances, it just didn't work out that time.

Give credit to UK though, they got the offensive rebounds to get second chances, and while their 2nd half game plan of run into the lane and get fouled ticked me off, they hit the clutch shots down the stretch.

Comment

sorry double post
                        Last edited by jazztrane; March 24, 2014, 10:31 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

If the field goal was not wide right for the bills. If Rosé hit that free throw. Seems there's always little things that could change the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                            This ^^

Similarly, imagine what UK would do against Virginia or Arizona. Of course, now the the next two hottest teams will play...in the sweet sixteen. Oi.

Comment

Best description of yesterday came to me from a Kentucky/LSU fan (Dont understand that)

"It wasnt that one team was better. It was a battle of two equals that left everything on the court. College basketball is better for it, and no fan of college basketball can say that was a truly 1 vs. 8 game.

Comment

Working...
                              X