No announcement yet.

Cleanthony Early Belongs in the Rafters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All American, leading scorer on teams that went F4 and then 35-1, NCAA All Tournament Team.

No brainer.

I also fully expect that we will retire FVV and Baker's jerseys. We aren't in any danger of running out of numbers.

Comment

He was selected All-American?

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
        If Cle had four years, he could have gone down as the GREATEST Shocker ever.
        I don't want to diminish a single thing that Cle did in his time at WSU, but what is your frame of reference?

Better than X?
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

At WSU, do they retire the jersey or retire the number? As I understand, if the number is retired, it can never be used in the future. If the jersey is retired, it's a tribute to that athlete but the number can be used again. I know different schools handle it differently. Also, is Cheese Johnson's number/jersey hanging in the rafters?

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
            I don't want to diminish a single thing that Cle did in his time at WSU, but what is your frame of reference?

Better than X?
            I said could have. Who know what Cle would have done with two more years.

Is it possible he would have gotten even better?? Scary (yet sad) to think about.
            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
              At WSU, do they retire the jersey or retire the number? As I understand, if the number is retired, it can never be used in the future. If the jersey is retired, it's a tribute to that athlete but the number can be used again. I know different schools handle it differently. Also, is Cheese Johnson's number/jersey hanging in the rafters?
              1) Number
              2) No
              The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                He was selected All-American?
                Yes. There are 4 sources that comprise the Consensus All-American List: AP, USBWA, NABC, and TSN

Cle was 2nd Team USBWA, FVV was 3rd Team TSN. NABC and AP have yet to release their All American teams.

Comment

If Cle had four years, he could have gone down as the GREATEST Shocker ever.
                  Easy there red ryder. You saved yourself with "could," however we will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                    Easy there red ryder. You saved yourself with "could," however we will never know.
                    That was my point buck-o. He was the catalyst to the greatest two year run in WSU history. Two more years of him - with FVV and Baker mind you - would have been amazing.

WHO KNOWS WHAT HE COULD HAVE DONE!
                    The Assman

Comment

For comparison's sake:

Cliff Levingston- 3rd Team AA by Basketball Times (who?), never higher than Honorable Mention AA by any of the Consensus sources, 3 year player, 1 NCAA Appearance
                      Antoine Carr- 3rd Team by AP in 1983, HM in 1982, unlisted by other 3 Consensus sources, 1 NCAA Appearance

AC obviously deserves to be up there without any doubt. Cliff was definitely a borderline selection. Unless you are measuring purely based on offensive stats during apples vs. oranges eras, I think Cle's case is very solid.

Comment

That was my point buck-o. He was the catalyst to the greatest two year run in WSU history. Two more years of him - with FVV and Baker mind you - would have been amazing.

Good job for having a point Red.
                        :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          Good job for having a point Red.
                          :-)
                          He is obviously one of the best players to ever don a WSU uniform and in only two short years, catapulted this program to highs that we could have only dreamed of.

I don't see how it is so ludicrous to think he could have put himself in the #1 - at least #2 - spot with another two.
                          The Assman

Comment

...oh, another thing I just thought about in your "ifs and buts and candied nuts" line of thinking, just think of what Stallworth's value could have been "IF" he would have had that final semester in his holster. WSU could have won the national title. WHO KNOWS WHAT HE COULD HAVE DONE!

Comment

He is obviously one of the best players to ever don a WSU uniform and in only two short years, catapulted this program to highs that we could have only dreamed of.

I don't see how it is so ludicrous to think he could have put himself in the #1 - at least #2 - spot with another two.
                              Trust me, I get your point. And I wouldn't call it ludicrous, just trying to keep it real. You're one of the good guys...I'm just trying to have some fun after what happened yesterday. Give me some grace.

Comment

What exactly are we honoring by retiring numbers/jerseys? Is this a career achievement or simply recognizing our All-Americans (from what I can tell you don't need to be a consensus AA -- any AA honor above honorable mention will work? Are we trying to recognize the best stats or the best players (usually one and the same but not always)?

These are serious questions because I'm not sure I know the answer.

Cleanthony's performances in the NCAA Tournament certainly stand out, not to mention a 65-10 win-loss record. His All-American honors already equal or surpass Cliff's.

College basketball has changed a lot since Dave The Rave's days. We just don't have the huge scorers like we used to. Too many good players and depth.

Cleanthony is no doubt a special player. Not sure it's a slam dunk but if I had a vote I vote for Cle to added to the rafters.

Maybe there are specific standards that allow you to just check the boxes and say, yes he's in or no he's out. I'm just not aware if that is the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X