No announcement yet.

10 Things I think about the SIU game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My list isn't 10 things. I think 3 will do.

1. With a 10-point lead and the entire front court in serious foul trouble, Marshall decided to make SIU win the game from 3. Not a bad plan. SIU hasn't been a good 3-shooting team all season and has been susceptible to zone defenses. that was a good plan with poor results.

2. SIU's plan in the end-game was to foul Cooz and make him get his points from the line. that plan worked very well.

3. Generally in the ends of close games coaches want the ball in the hands of their best free-throw shooters. Does it not occur to any of the haters that maybe it was Marshall who dictated that Mekel handle the ball and take shots, hoping for a foul call from the most hack-happy team in the conference? Putting the ball in Cooz's hands was resulting in 0 to 1 points per possession, depending on how many FT's PJ hit.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
      My list isn't 10 things. I think 3 will do.

1. With a 10-point lead and the entire front court in serious foul trouble, Marshall decided to make SIU win the game from 3. Not a bad plan. SIU hasn't been a good 3-shooting team all season and has been susceptible to zone defenses. that was a good plan with poor results.

2. SIU's plan in the end-game was to foul Cooz and make him get his points from the line. that plan worked very well.

3. Generally in the ends of close games coaches want the ball in the hands of their best free-throw shooters. Does it not occur to any of the haters that maybe it was Marshall who dictated that Mekel handle the ball and take shots, hoping for a foul call from the most hack-happy team in the conference? Putting the ball in Cooz's hands was resulting in 0 to 1 points per possession, depending on how many FT's PJ hit.
      :yes:

But it was Coach who wanted the ball in PJ's hands, or maybe more importantly, he wanted him to want the ball in his hands.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
        JT fouled out in 14 minutes of play, btw. Gal is an enigma. We really could use Brett Micheal.
        Bret Michael?

I agree we could really use him, but man alive! Check your spelling!

PJ's just gotta slow down at the line. Maybe someone should sit him down and make him watch that one Chevy Chase scene in Caddyshack...

Be the ball, Cooz...
        Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
        Students > Alumni
        If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
        The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

I only have one thought after the game. Could J.T. take the rest of the season and NOT shoot another 3 ball. After his 0-4 shooting Saturday, he is now around 25% for 3. J.T. go inside and really do some damage.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan
            I only have one thought after the game. Could J.T. take the rest of the season and NOT shoot another 3 ball. After his 0-4 shooting Saturday, he is now around 25% for 3. J.T. go inside and really do some damage.
            could be special to see Stutz and Durley play together.
            ________
            HERBALAIRE VAPORIZER REVIEW
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
              JT fouled out in 14 minutes of play, btw. Gal is an enigma. We really could use Brett Micheal.
              With all due respect to Bret Micheal, he's not the answer to any of our problems.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

I understand that, but he woulda got a lotta minutes the last month.

Comment

Why is it we just can't have any kind of inside game against SIU? They continued to push our guards further & further out beyond the 3 point line still pressuring with defense, I kept waiting for a guard to beat their man out that far and penetrate & create. Especially PJ against #10, when they were matched up one on one I just kept saying "take him PJ, go right by him!" but we never got any drives to the basket except for Matt's one in the 2nd half.

I agree with the poster on Falker's moving screens, and also underneath he just pushed everyone out of the way, and for some reason they only called fouls on our big men, some of which were ridiculous. Falker would just throw his body into whoever with no call, then they'll call SIU for a hand check, I guess to keep the fouls somewhat equal while making sure Falker stayed in the game?

On the 3 pointer they review I also thought it was very clearly a foot on the line, from my vantage point in the 23rd row (great seats, eh buddy? He missed the tag!! lol). Did anyone see it on TV was it really a 3 or did they just not get a good look at it.

I'm getting tired of watching teams celebrate like they won the conference for beating the last place team in the Valley, but I guess they know they better enjoy it while they can cause its not gonna happen for long!

Comment

Sure are. Better seats than mine. Well, actually, there are not very many bad seats in that joint. The 3 pointer I questioned was not reviewed. Mighta just been our angle, but I spoke to some one since then that said his whole section was yelling, as well. Mullins comes off a pick on top to bury a shot at just inside 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by jazztrane
                      Why is it we just can't have any kind of inside game against SIU? They continued to push our guards further & further out beyond the 3 point line still pressuring with defense, I kept waiting for a guard to beat their man out that far and penetrate & create. Especially PJ against #10, when they were matched up one on one I just kept saying "take him PJ, go right by him!" but we never got any drives to the basket except for Matt's one in the 2nd half.

I agree with the poster on Falker's moving screens, and also underneath he just pushed everyone out of the way, and for some reason they only called fouls on our big men, some of which were ridiculous. Falker would just throw his body into whoever with no call, then they'll call SIU for a hand check, I guess to keep the fouls somewhat equal while making sure Falker stayed in the game?

On the 3 pointer they review I also thought it was very clearly a foot on the line, from my vantage point in the 23rd row (great seats, eh buddy? He missed the tag!! lol). Did anyone see it on TV was it really a 3 or did they just not get a good look at it.

I'm getting tired of watching teams celebrate like they won the conference for beating the last place team in the Valley, but I guess they know they better enjoy it while they can cause its not gonna happen for long!
                      Jazz,
                      On TV, it looked like a good trey to me.
                      I know several have commented about Falkers moving screens and you're right - he was moving.
                      However, none of them were fouls.
                      Why?
                      Quite simply, there wasn't any contact.
                      The screener can move all he wants. If there isn't any contact there can not be a foul.
                      No contact = no foul.
                      That is all. 8)
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Working...
                      X