Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShox
    Regulation
    :55 Mekel missed jumper (Cooz never touched the ball). Rebound Shaw.
    :40 Block by Cousinard
    :36 60-59 SIU

Toward the end of regulation, WSU came out of the timeout and inbounded the ball to Cousinard in the backcourt. Cooz made 1of 2 free throws to send it into OT. At the :55 mark, Mekel made no effort at all to get PJ the ball. That scenario prompted Coach Marshall to call a t/o and make sure the ball was in the hands of his best player from the start. Coach Marshall understands that in crunch time he cannot trust Gal to find the team's best player and get him the rock.
    To me, Gal stops being a team player later on in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by DJShocker10
      Originally posted by 60Shock
      Classy comment from Coach Lowery concerning Matt.

"SIU's defense put a stop to his scoring in the second half. Salukis coach Chris Lowery took time to appreciate the performance, especially in light of Braeuer's 10-game absence due to a concussion."

"You've got to be thankful he is healthy enough to play again," Lowery said. "Today, he was very special. He was at the magic level where he gave them a chance to win the game."
      He also said something before the second half that made me quite concerned. This may just be me looking for reasons to be paranoid, but he said something about cutting Braeuer off. I guess I just took it the wrong way. Lowery is a great coach. I think Indiana will end up with him next season, though.
      We all know Bob Knight's coming back to Indiana. I can't wait til he instills fears into all of those kids

Comment

If our two play-making seniors had it in them, I would suggest it is time for a meeting in the tunnel with Gal to establish the pecking order for late-game situations before this season is completely over.

Comment

While SIU's defense is not as good as last year, they are still solid. However, in the 1st half, I felt the Shockers played the better defense. We slowed their 3 Seniors to a mild roar the 1st half. As the 2nd half unfolded, we again have foul trouble with PT and JT and then they both fouled out. That opened the flood gates for Falker. There is a trend of us playing better obviously the 1st half and our lack of depth explains why. I tip my hat to our Coaching Staff last night. Their game plan was solid. Neither team last night was impressive shooting the ball. MB was a terror the 1st half and that was his best half as a Shocker. Mullins got hot at the end.

Speaking of recruiting, I think it was SIU that Mike Kennedy or Dave Dahl mentioned in the pre-game show that may shape up to be one of their best ever recruiting classes. Did anybody else hear this or was it another Valley team? With AJ, the 4 signed recruits, EO, and maybe 2 more signing, we may have one of our best recruiting classes in a long long time as well.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

All you need to know about PJ is what happened at the end of the first half. Halfway up for a 3 with the clock already under 3 seconds, passes up the shot.

I watched PJ at the end of the game. He wasn't trying to get open. That's why Coach Marshall called TimeOut and ripped his senior for not wanting the ball. Then made him take it from the inbounds pass.

Gal had nothing to do with that.

Comment

Wow.

Other people jump all over Gal and it's no problem.

If I merely utter the words 'Gal and turnover', I get crucified. There's a double-standard for ya.

Now that it's been mentioned, Gal is a selfish player at times. He wants to take the shots when it's close at the end of games and never looks for the pass to a player in better position or better shooting abilities. He tries to do too much and doesn't look for a teammate. He took a wild crazy turnaround shot a the FT line and missed. Was that our best set of offense trying to protect a 1 point lead late in the game?

Yes, the FT's hurt. And if our senior makes maybe 1 more free throw out of about 5 or 6 missed ones, it's all a non-issue. Don't try to draw the foul PJ if you're not gonna convert at the line. It's basically giving away the game.

Did anyone else notice the moving screens by SIU (mostly Falker) at the top of the key. I noticed it several times, including the Mullins 3's late. It's one thing if it's bad defense. But it's another when the refs fail to see Falker moving all over the place, allowing Mullins to be wide open as daylight to hit the 3. Anybody on any team can give a teammate a wide open look if they move when they screen. That kinda pissed me off..
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                Speaking of recruiting, I think it was SIU that Mike Kennedy or Dave Dahl mentioned in the pre-game show that may shape up to be one of their best ever recruiting classes. Did anybody else hear this or was it another Valley team? With AJ, the 4 signed recruits, EO, and maybe 2 more signing, we may have one of our best recruiting classes in a long long time as well.
                They have a 4*, 3 3*, a 2*, and another 3* it looks like they will probably sign as well.

Comment

PJ - 43 minutes
                  Gal and Matt - 39 minutes
                  Ramone - 29 minutes
                  Phil - 23 minutes due to foul trouble
                  45 minute game

I think the good guys got tired and they don't have enough depth. I remember one point in the second half we started with 7 or 8 points over SIU, Matt and PJ went to the bench. 3 minutes later we had a 1 point lead or maybe down 1. Matt and PJ came back in. Something like that anyway.

I think Gal wants to win the game and has a lot of self-confidence, and the ball should be in PJs or Matts hands in the end. That's not a criticism of Gal, I like his confidence and he is just a sophomore.

Comment

Agree.

Comment

As a reminder, the ball was in PJ's hand at the end of the game. did not turn out as well as we would have hoped. In fact, I believe that PJ was something like 1-4 down the stretch. Gals shot at the end was in the flow of the game and just missed. How quickly we forget the 3 3 pointers at the end of the Northern Iowa game.

Comment

I'm not necessarily defending Gal, but it was just one game ago where he didn't shoot well for most of the game, then almost single-handedly got us into overtime and a lead in OT.

Maybe Marshall gave him a green light to take a shot if it became available.

Comment

But those 3's were at least decent looks. Some of the shots he put up late involved him dribbling too much (no surprise) and forcing horrible shots. I too like the fact that the kid is confident in himself. But once he becomes confident in those around him he'll be a better player.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                            Wow.

Other people jump all over Gal and it's no problem.

If I merely utter the words 'Gal and turnover', I get crucified. There's a double-standard for ya.

Now that it's been mentioned, Gal is a selfish player at times. He wants to take the shots when it's close at the end of games and never looks for the pass to a player in better position or better shooting abilities. He tries to do too much and doesn't look for a teammate. He took a wild crazy turnaround shot a the FT line and missed. Was that our best set of offense trying to protect a 1 point lead late in the game?

Yes, the FT's hurt. And if our senior makes maybe 1 more free throw out of about 5 or 6 missed ones, it's all a non-issue. Don't try to draw the foul PJ if you're not gonna convert at the line. It's basically giving away the game.

Did anyone else notice the moving screens by SIU (mostly Falker) at the top of the key. I noticed it several times, including the Mullins 3's late. It's one thing if it's bad defense. But it's another when the refs fail to see Falker moving all over the place, allowing Mullins to be wide open as daylight to hit the 3. Anybody on any team can give a teammate a wide open look if they move when they screen. That kinda pissed me off..
                            I believe the "crucifications" you are whinning about happened after your cute little 25-50 comments and emotions a number of topics back that appeared or at least gave the general impression to several of us that you had some type of personal problem with Gal. Even now, the only player you generally single out is Gal.

From what I read and have seen in the two televised games I've watched, we have a whole team of players who frequently make dumb moves. But they are not singled out. But the mistakes that the seniors make are often ignored and as well as perhaps they should be. To a certain extent they have earned that. But we should also expect more out of them than the sophmores and freshmen.

My comment to DaShox was why out of the clear blue and without any explanation, did he sound out. He then provided a reasonable explanation. End of story.

From the explanations that followed, there certainly seems to be a lot of confusion and difference of opinions as to why PJ did not get the ball near the end.

Comment

Folks seem to be looking soley at output and discounting the variables. Seems to me that the opportunity for better shot selection was present in the UNI game. This team plays with a lot of heart but seems to lack mental toughness. This teams seems to be snake bit but I still hope they pull off an upset in the Lou.

Go Shocks!!!!
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

JT fouled out in 14 minutes of play, btw. Gal is an enigma. We really could use Brett Micheal.

Comment

Working...
                                X