STL Travel: I-70 vs I-44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STL Travel: I-70 vs I-44

I believe this has been discussed a little in the past, but since the drive was just made for many of us and will be again in a couple weeks, I figured it would be a good time to bring it up again.

Driving home on I-70, between STL and KC, after the MVC makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Alas, it is the route I have always taken. Maybe it's because it gives the flexibility of driving through KC. Maybe it is because I am a keen to tradition. Maybe it's because I secretly like the awful traffic. Who knows.

My question is, has anyone on SN taken the "other" route to STL via I-44?

I know it is slightly longer and distance and probably a much more boring drive (I mean you have to drive through Springfield for Christ's sake), but does that make up for the traffic on I-70? Would be nice to have to have a little open road on the drive home.

Looking forward to your answers.
    The Assman

Cn't comment on the traffic, because it's been a while since I've driven between KC and St. Louis, but I'm not surprised to hear about it. Some drives are just made by so many people that they get obnoxious even though there's a lot of open country (e.g., driving to LA from Las Vegas on a Sunday night, which may be the worst of all: stretches of bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of the Mojave Desert).

So if it were me, I'd take I-44. I've done I-70 many times, just not recently, and I-44 once or twice -- so I'd take 44 just for variety. Plus, even though SNers like to make fun of Springfield, if you take 44 you have the advantage of access to the Pizza House in Springfield (now on Commercial St., I believe). I've driven an hour or more out of my way on trips from Wichita to the Arkansas Ozarks or Hot Springs just to eat at the Pizza House, and I'd do it again with no hesitation. You'd be hard pressed to find a better thin, pastry-style crust pizza (my personal favorite) anywhere around these parts, although Johnny C's in the KC area is competitive.

Comment

Maybe we'll test it on the way home from the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Don't know if I can miss out on OK Joe's on the way up though KC.
      The Assman

Comment

44 is an easier drive IMHO but it does take a bit longer. I think it's more scenic too.
        "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Via Kansas City, 450 miles. Via Springfield 495 miles. Plus, via Kansas City is interstate highway the whole way. Unless you want to take a walk in the woods, Kansas City route is better. Scenery through the Flint Hills makes up for the adult book store signs on I-70 through Missouri.

Comment

You don't want to be on I-44 anywhere near dusk or dark because of deer.

Comment

If only they could magically make I-70 three-lanes-wide between KC and STL.

I know it would cost a pretty penny and take forever, but the amount of traffic it gets would more than likely justify it.
              The Assman

Comment

Did the I44 drive this year, less traffic, took an hr longer which sucks but it does drop u off right at the scott trade center
                I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

To save on some miles - you take US-400 to the Mo border, take Baseline to Mo 37 S to MO-96 which is old Route 66. Then you connect to I-44 and don't have to jog south to Joplin.

But I've done StL to Wichita via I-44 and really it is the US-400 stretch in KS that can kill the whole thing. It is a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by GOSHOX1 View Post
                    Did the I44 drive this year, less traffic, took an hr longer which sucks but it does drop u off right at the scott trade center
                    With I-64 not being closed so does that route.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                      Maybe we'll test it on the way home from the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Don't know if I can miss out on OK Joe's on the way up though KC.
                      You should mix it up once and hit up LC's in KC.

Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia is pretty damn good, too.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Just curious what people would pay for a charter flight from Wichita? Leaving early Friday morning, returning Sunday after the game.

$300 per person? This is for flight only.

Comment

$300 per person for a chartered flight sounds very reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                            Just curious what people would pay for a charter flight from Wichita? Leaving early Friday morning, returning Sunday after the game.

$300 per person? This is for flight only.
                            $422 to fly swa so I would suspect a charter to at least cost $500-$600 but probably closer to $1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                              $422 to fly swa so I would suspect a charter to at least cost $500-$600 but probably closer to $1000
                              It won't be anywhere near $1000. Assume your $422 flight also bounced through Chicago or somewhere.

If $300 is reasonable, what would be too high? $400, $500?

Comment

Working...
                              X