Sprts Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shock View Post
    Its one thing to hire a coach when the program is down. Its harder ti hire at the pinnacle.
    I think the opposite is true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
      Setting aside the stupidity of the question (and it is stupid because there is no world in which Marshall is more likely to leave after a National Championship than after an Elite Eight - in fact the opposite is true), I think that anyone picking against the National Championship is nuts.

1. A National Championship is the whole point of having a good coach. You don't pass on National Championships, much less undefeated seasons.

2. If you are concerned about the program dropping off with the departure of Marshall, is 5 extra years really compensation for an undefeated National Championship team? The same thing theoretically happens after those five years are up, so it is not like a guarantee of decades of success if you think things would tank after Marshall. If you believe that with multiple Final Fours, a National Championship, a $2 million dollar coaching salary, and sold out arena we won't be able to sustain success after Marshall, it would be even harder to sustain success without that National Championship to recruit future coaches and players to.

Once again, the whole thing is stupid because a National Championship makes retaining Marshall easier, not harder, so winning the whole thing gives you the best of both scenarios.
      Pretty much THIS.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Marshall is going exactly nowhere, no how, period. Just for poops and grins, let's win this NC sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Is this really a question?

40-0, it's NOT CLOSE, and I would help Gregg pack if he asked.

Life is about change folks. Don't be scared of change. Chances are you'll never get to see the ring, if you have a chance, grab that sob.
          +1
          1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
            I have no idea why people are ripping apart the question. (The ripping apart Lutz, I get it, he annoys me too). It's a hypothetical question just for fun and discussion. Lighten up a little. The same types of questions you probably ask with your friends when you're at a bar and just bs'ing with each other. That's one of the fun things about sports, just debating stupid ****.

With that said: National Championship.
            +1,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              I think the opposite is true.
              Observe Siu- Chris Lowry, Texas A&M-Mark Turgeon, ect. It's easier to make a coaching hire when the team is in the dumps because of expectations. See WSU in the 90s. It's harder to find a coach that can continue the success. That's why coaches of big programs are usually hired from within. You can't always make a bill self hire. Sometimes even star power fails, like Roy at UNC. Look at power conferences. every coach at ucla since wooden, even USC, Tennessee was pretty good when BP and SF were there.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Observe Siu- Chris Lowry, Texas A&M-Mark Turgeon, ect. It's easier to make a coaching hire when the team is in the dumps because of expectations. See WSU in the 90s. It's harder to find a coach that can continue the success. That's why coaches of big programs are usually hired from within. You can't always make a bill self hire. Sometimes even star power fails, like Roy at UNC. Look at power conferences. every coach at ucla since wooden, even USC, Tennessee was pretty good when BP and SF were there.
                Not a great argument because for every program that hires a coach who doesn't continue the success of his predecessor, there are probably 50 that are hired at losing programs who never bring their team from the abyss. It's just not as noticeable because you never notice the losers in the first place. When a program like Indiana falls flat we notice, when Jacksonville State makes a new hire and he fails, no one notices, it's just status quo. Also, Roy did win a NC at UNC, Ben Howland made the NCAA 7 of 10 years with UCLA (3 Final Fours in a row), so even with your examples you do not prove your own point. I would gladly take 3 Final Fours in a row.
                “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

The transition from Mark Turgeon to Gregg Marshall seems to contradict your point.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                    The transition from Mark Turgeon to Gregg Marshall seems to contradict your point.
                    Exactly.
                    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                      Jim Schaus made the hire. Jim Schaus also hired Mark. Jim Schaus is a good AD. Jim Schaus also hired Chris Lamb and Steve Rainbolt. Jim Schaus is very good at what he does. ADES was hired to not disrupt the status quo. Todd Butler has yet to prove himself at WSU, so ADES really has no proof to his hiring ability for WSU's marquee, high pressure jobs.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Jim Schaus made the hire. Jim Schaus also hired Mark. Jim Schaus is a good AD. Jim Schaus also hired Chris Lamb and Steve Rainbolt. Jim Schaus is very good at what he does. ADES was hired to not disrupt the status quo. Todd Butler has yet to prove himself at WSU, so ADES really has no proof to his hiring ability for WSU's marquee, high pressure jobs.
                        Although the verdict is still out I would be floored if Todd Butler doesn't kill it at WSU. He's high energy, has an awesome plan and has had success before. I believe Todd will prove to be a great hire and I trust that ADES would do just fine if god forbid we have to replace HCGM. But I sure hope we don't have to find out anytime soon.
                        "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                          Not a great argument because for every program that hires a coach who doesn't continue the success of his predecessor, there are probably 50 that are hired at losing programs who never bring their team from the abyss. It's just not as noticeable because you never notice the losers in the first place. When a program like Indiana falls flat we notice, when Jacksonville State makes a new hire and he fails, no one notices, it's just status quo. Also, Roy did win a NC at UNC, Ben Howland made the NCAA 7 of 10 years with UCLA (3 Final Fours in a row), so even with your examples you do not prove your own point. I would gladly take 3 Final Fours in a row.
                          that is exactly what i am saying. Its less pressure at a 300+ school. UCLA has hired 9 coaches since 1975. 40 years. WSU? 9 since Ralph Miller. Thats 50 years. Shouldn't it be easier for a blue blood to get good coaches and keep them?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            No, it would get rid of a vacuum. Lutz sucks.
                            LoL... good one...
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

That's one that everyone seems to be so dismissive about. Do you realize how coaches leave/jump at any opportunity to get away from the AD that didn't hire them? I don't know how ADES runs the department or even if he's a 'good' AD but I do know one thing he keeps Marshall happy and Lamb for that matter too. In fact, Marshall has seen an AD & president change but yet he still goes out of his way to praise his administration during nearly every national interview. Schaus made some GREAT hires but has it stands today ADES has done amazing job of keeping those hires here which isn't easy to do with all the success they've been having.
                              If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

I didn't know that this was going to be an indictment of ADES and the canonizing of JS. JS made some really good hires but he has wiffed on a few also so lets let JS keep his feet on the ground with the rest of us mortals that do a really good job at what we were hired to do in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X