Marketing Shocker basketball also a winning effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing Shocker basketball also a winning effort

The Wichita State University marketing team made its way to Dallas in the summer of 2012 for the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators convention.

There were heavy hitters at the NACMA conference – big-money teams of marketers from the big-money conferences like the Big 12 and Pac-12.

So the WSU team watched. And it listened. And it learned.

And when the team left, it had a vision for the future – a grand one, at that.

“Iowa State won the marketing team of the year (in 2012) and when we left, we looked at each other and said, ‘Next year, that’s going to be us,’ ” said John Brewer, WSU’s associate athletic director of marketing and strategic communications. “We challenged each other to make that happen, whatever we had to do.”

A brainstorming meeting not long after – along with the WSU men’s basketball team reaching its first Final Four since 1965 – proved more fruitful than anyone could have imagined.

“We just went in a room and started throwing ideas around,” Brewer said. “And that’s where we came up with the idea that blew up for us.”
    Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/04/326...#storylink=cpy

This thread got knocked off the first page pretty quickly because of all the Shocker love. Here are a couple of paragraphs from the article.

The impact of #watchus has been clear – in the 2012-2013 school year, WSU’s numbers on social media blew up, going from 2,700 to over 41,000 likes on its Facebook page, “Go Shockers,” and from 1,000 to almost 13,000 followers on its Twitter account, @GoShockers:.

That implementation and ultimate success garnered WSU the hardware it so desired. The Shockers’ marketing team went back to the NACMA convention in June in Orlando, Fla., and came away with the marketing team of the year award, beating out finalists Kansas State and Iowa State.

Comment

Very cool article. I love stories like this: Little guy shows up, watches the big dogs. Studies, learns, comes back and wins it. Kind of like our Shockers.

Comment

as a WSU marketing graduate this makes me happy!
        especially after many job fairs in the past and employers telling me marketing is a bad field to be in. (just smiled and said thanks)....

Comment

I got a marketing degree from wsu in 2009 and havent found a job in marketing either. Its a somewhat generic degree and I really wish I could just start somewhere.

Comment

You might want to focus on mobile marketing. That seems to be a segment poised for big growth. Hipcricket, Inc. and Multimedia Media, Inc. are pure plays. Otherwise, you are looking for jobs with the big boys like Google, Yahoo and Apple.

Comment

I'm glad they didn't push the #mystate too hard. It was distracting from their very recognizable #watchus. I'm glad they have kept building on #watchus.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
                I got a marketing degree from wsu in 2009 and havent found a job in marketing either. Its a somewhat generic degree and I really wish I could just start somewhere.
                Stop smoking ganja on your couch there in Denver, and get off your lazy ass and move to Nashville where the jobs are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  I'm glad they didn't push the #mystate too hard. It was distracting from their very recognizable #watchus. I'm glad they have kept building on #watchus.
                  I think that the #watchus was very successful at more of a national scale but the #mystate really disturbed some of my friends that went to the "other" university and that really made me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    I think that the #watchus was very successful at more of a national scale but the #mystate really disturbed some of my friends that went to the "other" university and that really made me happy.
                    Hmmm ... you know, this #mystate campaign is suddenly growing on me.

Comment

I thought the "play angry" mantra was a lot better marketing idea then the "#watchus" campaign. But they both were pretty good.

Comment

Championship marketing still can't compete with X
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                          I thought the "play angry" mantra was a lot better marketing idea then the "#watchus" campaign. But they both were pretty good.
                          I didn't know that AC's degree was in marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            I didn't know that AC's degree was in marketing.
                            It probably wasn't but with marketing it's all in "the way you spin/present it".

Comment

Working...
                            X