Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Final 4 had best TV ratings in 8 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Final 4 had best TV ratings in 8 years!

Nearly 15 million people watched the WSU-Louisville game last year. And the final 4 had its highest TV ratings in 8 years (so much for the argument that you have to have BCS schools to get big TV ratings).

It is amazing how much bigger the TV audience is for the Ncaa tournament compared to regular season games. While Cu is getting between 3,000 and 66,000 viewers for most of their games this year on FS1 and FS2 (and the Shocks are getting around 500,000 for each of their games on espn2), the Shockers had almost 15 million people watching them for one game in the final 4! Wow what a huge difference. The entire tournament averaged 10.1 million viewers in 2013 compared to a little over 9 million the year before.

So why?

The Kevin Ware factor, two Big East Teams, and a team from a heavily populated state.

Or Ron Baker?

Comment

It looks like the Wichita State-Ohio State game drew 10.5 million viewers on Saturday, March 30. The highest rated show that day on broadcast television, doubling the #2 rated show that day. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...turday/175620/
      Last edited by shox1989; January 24, 2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        So why?

The Kevin Ware factor, two Big East Teams, and a team from a heavily populated state.

Or Ron Baker?
        Hard to say for sure, but the Louisville-WSU game was up 4% over the same game the year before while the later game was only up 3% over the later game the year before. So for what it is worth, the increase was 25% greater for the game involving WSU vs. the game involving 2 BCS teams.

Comment

Just curious, what would the ratings be for a ShockerFever-Jamar Howard 4 President ShockerNet Deathmatch on closed circuit TV?
          Last edited by AdamCC; January 23, 2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamCC View Post
            Just curious, what would the ratings be for a ShockerFever-Jamar Howard 4 President ShockerNet Deathmatch on closed circuit TV?
            My guess is JH4P would make a pitch for the P-value of the rating criteria to be (-) 0.500. SF would chastise him for being a d-bag methhead for using such analytics. JH4P would search for the technicalities it would take to render a death shot, where SF would, non-diplomatically, tell him to stick it where the f@?#ing sun don't shine. In the end, nobody wins, but three additional threads are created to recreate what happened. Royal and the other team of mods pow-wow to only threaten SF with a ban if he doesn't "tone it down," while JH4P is satisfied that his relative risk of losing is well under the same RR of ISU-r beating the Shockers in STL without the benefit of kick-gate, punch-gate, or any other gate for that matter. In the end we will never get that period of time back in our lives. So goes the life in SN world.

Comment

:-)

Comment

It appears that the WSU-Gonzaga game on Saturday, March 23, 2013 was the highest rated game on cable that day and the second highest rated show period on all of cable that day (only the Kids Choice Awards had a bigger viewership).

The WSU-Gonzaga game on TNT drew 4.178 million viewers. Twice as many as the California-Syracuse game that same day on TBS (2.0 million) or the Harvard-Arizona game on TNT (1.767 million) or the Oregon-St. Louis game on TBS (2.187 m):

Last edited by shox1989; January 23, 2014, 10:57 PM.

Comment

America still loves the underdogs!!!! :)
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Ron Baker may get the full 4 years of media (and national audience) love and adoration. His story is so unique. Small-town in a sparsely populated rural area produces a potential AA candidate who isn't cocky or arrogant. D1 basketball is dominated by urban players who, quite often, have some attitude about themselves.

Baker couldn't be scripted in a movie. No one would believe the character was real. Baker is "Hoosiers". He's the ultimate underdog who got only one chance and made the best of it. Throw in VanVleet, who wasn't big enough, quick enough, or fast enough to make it with the top programs, so he took the best option he had and proved he belonged in every conversation about the absolute best player at his position as a Sophomore.

I think the Shox will continue getting good ratings in the post-season. Reality programs have dominated the market lately, and WSU has one of the best in D1 ball going on right now. Unless you're a supporter of one of the traditional favorites to win the "reality show", I think you're going to want to see the Shox take the prize.

I'd guess if there was a national poll of who would you like to see win the NC, and you couldn't vote for your own team or your conference member, tht WSU would do pretty well. I think fans love the Shox.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Hopefully everyone downloaded copies of the radio games from last season since the Shockerradio website deleted them.

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
                        Hopefully everyone downloaded copies of the radio games from last season since the Shockerradio website deleted them.
                        Are you kidding me? They should definitely leave those games on for like forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          Ron Baker may get the full 4 years of media (and national audience) love and adoration. His story is so unique. Small-town in a sparsely populated rural area produces a potential AA candidate who isn't cocky or arrogant. D1 basketball is dominated by urban players who, quite often, have some attitude about themselves.

Baker couldn't be scripted in a movie. No one would believe the character was real. Baker is "Hoosiers". He's the ultimate underdog who got only one chance and made the best of it. Throw in VanVleet, who wasn't big enough, quick enough, or fast enough to make it with the top programs, so he took the best option he had and proved he belonged in every conversation about the absolute best player at his position as a Sophomore.

I think the Shox will continue getting good ratings in the post-season. Reality programs have dominated the market lately, and WSU has one of the best in D1 ball going on right now. Unless you're a supporter of one of the traditional favorites to win the "reality show", I think you're going to want to see the Shox take the prize.

I'd guess if there was a national poll of who would you like to see win the NC, and you couldn't vote for your own team or your conference member, tht WSU would do pretty well. I think fans love the Shox.
                          The Wichita State Shockers...America's team!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            You may not be off the mark, Aargh. I live in Western NC. I went to the doctor last week. Talked to the Medical Assistant who recently moved from Ohio. Last year her family did things differently and only picked who they thought would be in the Final Four. Surprisingly her father picked WSU. He was given hell by his family but was proven the winner. Now she says that the whole family is rooting for the Shockers to go all the way. Simply amazing running into people lovin' on the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                              Are you kidding me? They should definitely leave those games on for like forever.
                              At the very least,they should download them to disk and make them available to the public for reproduction.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X