No announcement yet.

MVC Coaches Teleconference (1/21/14) - HCGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me want to listen to every interview Coach does. I don't alway have the time to listen but will try to catch as many as I can from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
      I guess I'm a little confused about why a Roanoke guy is even bothering to ask ANYTHING to Coach...
      I believe Marshall's home town is close to Roanoke for one.

I think Coach Marshall was more testy than he needed to be, but it isn't a big deal. I was surprised he knew how the reporter voted in the AP poll.

Comment

I think Roanoke was trying to write a "our local kid is doing great story." I don't think he was trying to be negative, but obviously coach did.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Shouldn't be...Final Four, top 5 ranking....there is national attention, and if the team continues, it will grow exponentially over the next few weeks.
          Oh, I get WHY there is a reason to, in terms of what the team and coach have achieved...just that it seems a little random for an MVC conference call...maybe like Paul asking questions at a Mountain West call....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            Oh, I get WHY there is a reason to, in terms of what the team and coach have achieved...just that it seems a little random for an MVC conference call...maybe like Paul asking questions at a Mountain West call....
            Actually Sullentrop was on this weeks Mountain West conference call asking questions. Here is a link.

Comment

Really????I just threw the Sully thing out there...maybe that's more common than I would have thought!

Comment

LOL at the three page thread over on phog.net about this. So sad.

Comment

The Roanoke reporter just stated his question awkwardly and Coach heard what he heard. I don't think people outside our league understands how hard Marshall has fought for some respect for WSU and when he perceives a "slight" (ala Marshall heard "can we compete with elite teams come March?" when the actual question was "Does this team have what it takes to beat other elite teams come March?" The confusion came when Marshall asked "Is your question can we beat elite teams in March and instead correcting Marshall the reporter just said yes.) Marshall hesitated and you could almost hear the slow burn start and reacted to what he viewed as no respect for what WSU has accomplished to date. I felt a bit sorry for the reporter because once he realized how Marshall had taken his question, he tried to calm things down but it was a bit late. Unfortunately when Marshall jumps on a media type like that he gets a reputation as an unlikeable, oafish guy which we all know is not at all true.

Comment

We know what we have here and how hard HCGM has worked to build out. Few outside the ICT area understand this. From a national perspective, a lot of people are waiting to see if we're just a flash in the pan or if this is for real. Gotta give them time to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      We know what we have here and how hard HCGM has worked to build out. Few outside the ICT area understand this. From a national perspective, a lot of people are waiting to see if we're just a flash in the pan or if this is for real. Gotta give them time to figure it out.
                      But I think it was unfortunate that Coach reacted the way he did. Too many people see him as arrogant and a DBag rather than a coach defending his team. I have read the thread on Phognet and they are not complimentary of the way Gregg handled that reporter saying they couldn't imagine Bill Self reacting that way. Really? And just what reporter would have asked Bill Self if he felt he could beat elite teams come March. KU fans don't understand the uphill battle Marshall has to fight every day for respect for his teams. All he wants is that WSU is recognized for what they have accomplished. He wants in the worst way for WSU to be relative and stay relative, and he has to fight for that all that time. I'm sure he gets tired (just like normal human beings) of constantly being on guard and sometimes a question like this just hits a bit too close to home -- and he reacts. No one reports on all the hundreds of times he has great interviews, just on the ones where he gets a bit bent out of shape.

Comment

I think it's awesome.

KU fans are complaining about comments made by the WSU coach in response to a question by a Virginia Tech reporter during a Valley conference call.

Sounds like we're pretty relevant. Haters gon' hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          I think it's awesome.

KU fans are complaining about comments made by the WSU coach in response to a question by a Virginia Tech reporter during a Valley conference call.

Sounds like we're pretty relevant. Haters gon' hate.
                          This...Screw those pompous asshats.

Comment

If you ask the coach of an undefeated team in Mid-January, who's ranked in the Top 5, who just took his team to the Final 4 the previous year if you can compete against "elite" programs, you are a clown and should expect to be put on blast.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Coach Self, what will it take for your program to be considered the best team in the state of Kansas? Would love to see this asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                                But I think it was unfortunate that Coach reacted the way he did. Too many people see him as arrogant and a DBag rather than a coach defending his team. I have read the thread on Phognet and they are not complimentary of the way Gregg handled that reporter saying they couldn't imagine Bill Self reacting that way. Really? And just what reporter would have asked Bill Self if he felt he could beat elite teams come March. KU fans don't understand the uphill battle Marshall has to fight every day for respect for his teams. All he wants is that WSU is recognized for what they have accomplished. He wants in the worst way for WSU to be relative and stay relative, and he has to fight for that all that time. I'm sure he gets tired (just like normal human beings) of constantly being on guard and sometimes a question like this just hits a bit too close to home -- and he reacts. No one reports on all the hundreds of times he has great interviews, just on the ones where he gets a bit bent out of shape.
                                I simply don't care what others think about GM in these types of situations... particularly phagnetters. If they think he's a d-bag (there is no doubt they do) then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X