Shocker - Player Impact Estimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker - Player Impact Estimate

NBA has a stat where they try to compile all a player contribution in one number in terms of %. 15-20% is what Lebron James would put up over the course of season. It is defined as:

PIE measures a player's overall statistical contribution against the total statistics in games they play in. PIE yields results which are comparable to other advanced statistics (e.g. PER) using a simple formula.(PTS + FGM + FTM - FGA - FTA + DREB + (.5 * OREB) + AST + STL + (.5 * BLK) - PF - TO) / (GmPTS + GmFGM + GmFTM - GmFGA - GmFTA + GmDREB + (.5 * GmOREB) + GmAST + GmSTL + (.5 * GmBLK) - GmPF - GmTO)
    Capture.JPGCapture2.jpgCapture3.jpg

I did a quick comparison between the 2013 and 2014 teams. WSU is clearly getting bigger contributions from it top 5 players. Not so much from their bench.

Capture.JPG

Comment

This is a great chart. Thank you for the time and effort.

Comment

I knew our depth is probably the worst in the recent 3 years or so, but now you can see how obvious it is. I'm still waiting for Wessel to contribute with scoring more. However, I still think he gives us great minutes.

Comment

Epic analysis. Thanks SB.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
            I knew our depth is probably the worst in the recent 3 years or so, but now you can see how obvious it is.
            Great charts. To tally this against with WuDr's point in another thread (where he said we have as good or nearly as good depth but a starting five that much better) we would need to see these numbers on a per minute basis.
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
              Great charts. To tally this against with WuDr's point in another thread (where he said we have as good or nearly as good depth but a starting five that much better) we would need to see these numbers on a per minute basis.
              I was thinking about that also. I will have to look at and see what it would take to look at a per minute basis. Because I do think this is really one of the first teams we have had where we were not playing 4 on 5 offensively.

Meanwhile, I ran into this next chart by accident. Initially I had Carter as the starter for all games (which he wasn't) and was corrected in the data presented. But it does show a real negative trend with bench. I'm really hoping that MVC play where some of our bench can maybe start finding more success.

Capture.JPG

Comment

I hate to do it to Wessel but he's this year's Jake White minus the taking charges issue. He's 0-13 from 3, and 2/7 at the line.

If he can ever get out of this slump he's in, that will be a boost to the bench.

It also seems to be that we have 2/3 post players typically playing well, and one that is having a horrible night. Chadrack picked up Darius slack 3-4 games ago, and now Darius is picking up Chadrack's slack over the past 2.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Here is the Player Impact Estimate (PIE) average for each player, and normalized for 40 minutes. I think it shows what we already know - Shox are getting contributions out of basically 6 players.

Coleby needs to find himself.

WSU really needs Wessel and Wiggins to find their shot, though Wessel is trend line is up right now - which is good.

I have also found I was missing Derail Green (non)contribution and it has been added (so some numbers might change a little from previos graphs). Oh, Early, Fred and Ron are studs...

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG
                  Last edited by SB Shock; December 30, 2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I know people has been saying that Wessel needs to find his shooting touch again from 3. Even though last year he shot around 45% from 3 before breaking his finger, has anyone considered that this might have been a fluke and now his shooting from 3 is just the way it's going to be? I think he might want to consider driving and dishing to another open player who can make the 3 instead of taking it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                      I know people has been saying that Wessel needs to find his shooting touch again from 3. Even though last year he shot around 45% from 3 before breaking his finger, has anyone considered that this might have been a fluke and now his shooting from 3 is just the way it's going to be? I think he might want to consider driving and dishing to another open player who can make the 3 instead of taking it himself.
                      Well, he's not going to be 0fer for the season, so no, this ain't the way it's going to be.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

I would personally like to see Derail get Nick's minutes and see what happens. I obviously don't have the benefit of seeing practices though.

Comment

He cannot guard anyone

Comment

I haven't seen much D out of Nick either. He's too busy looking for his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                              I haven't seen much D out of Nick either. He's too busy looking for his offense.
                              Last year I would agree. This year, not so much. He's mediocre defensively, at least by HCGM standards.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X