Why this season tanked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ISASO
    Man, I thought Cold could have grabbed ahold of something that Aargh posted and we would be done with this.

I really hate diving into the pool of player-bashing, but you're leaving few options available.

Look, we have some players, decent role players. Most of these players managed to assist in pissing away a good season last year and now they're doing it again.

The team desperately needs a leader on the floor - there is no one that is capable of that. Matt's trying to manage standing up and thinking straight, don't expect him to take charge this quickly, it's not fair.

There is little penalty for uninspired play right now - who else can play? Who else is available? Would you prefer 3 on 5? We do that too much when there are 5 bodies on the floor.

Turgeon had to beg players last year to have a team meeting, that hasn't changed. Marshall is begging players to respond to anything he does to challenge them. Now when things start to go south in a game this year, it's "here we go again, waiting for something bad to happen." Marshall can't beat this out of them. He is powerless due to the injury issues.

Please, just let it go, take it for what it is. We don't need to pursue miracle cures or excruciating analysis of failures at this point.
    Man, I thought Cold could have grabbed ahold of something that Aargh posted and we would be done with this.
    Grab something? I was laughing while I was reading it...

T

...8)

Comment

A. our players are not very good and last season's beginning was a total fluke.
      B. Ditto
      C. See above

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz
        I think that there were two seniors that we were puttig a lot of weight on for our hopes of doing well this season, Matt and PJ. Matt went down and he was probably the player we could least afford to lose. PJ has had an okay year but not the year we hoped he would have.

Let's face it we have 4's trying to play 5 and 3's trying to play 4 and undersized 3's. Players more suited to the SG are running the point. Same thing we had last year, but we don't have Kyle Wilson, great 3/4 but not a center. Karon Bradley wanted to be a SG but outside of some ill advised shots was okay at the point. We also don't have SO on the outside, at least he played a little bit of defense, sadly he needed to move on to put some personal issues behind him.

Then in comes Marshall. 2 recuits asked to be released from their letters of commitment an other recuit dies and we are left with a guy no one has heard much of in the last two years. Between what MT left and what he could find late in the signing period HCGM put together the best team he could. Unfortunately not a team well suited to playing his style of basketball.

Next year things look better we have true centers and PFs and a true point guard and combo guards that can handle the rock.

We have a div 1 transfer that can jump out of the gym and can play either wing position. A point guard from the no 1 in the nation juco team. A 7 foot PF/C that may have a coulpe of inches left in him and can play back to the basket or facing the basket. At least one triple double in points, rebounds and blocks. Two 6'3" combo guards from Texas that can shoot and handle the rock. Another 7 footer is on his way from Nigeria if we can get him out of Africa. He played on a Basketball Without Borders all star team and reportedly run like a deer and can be a defensive presence. Two or more signings are likely in the spring.

This year may suck, but next year is a whole new ball game and it is just going to grow from there.
        I'm hopeful for next year too, but, wow, if one believe half of the hype on our incoming new players, we got to be odds on favorites to win the National Championship for the next four years straight. How many times and how many years do we get blown out and carried away with players who never develop anywhere near their hyped potential?

I do believe we have a FIRST plus a THIRD team Juco All American on this team. Going from Juco to D-1 has always been a major transition and most do not star, but they do often contribute.

I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but maybe, just maybe, we ought to wait until next years newcomers play their first couple of games against MVC teams next year before we get our hopes up beyond the stars.

Comment

Working...
        X