• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post
    Or Joe Ragland
    Never heard of him.

Comment

Ron Baker will go down as one of the great recruiting steals of the high school class of 2012. He had a late growth spurt to 6-foot-3 and, before Wichita State swooped in, was a no-star prospect from Scott City, Kan., with offers from Eastern Illinois, Arkansas-Little Rock and South Dakota State (where he might have become the next Nate Wolters). After playing a big role in the Shockers' Final Four run last season, Baker has emerged as a star as a sophomore, scoring with a remarkable level of efficiency. His Offensive Rating of 140.3 (or 1.403 PPP) is seventh-highest in the nation among players using at least 20 percent of their team's possessions, according to kenpom.com.

@SInow: College Hoops Power Rankings: 1. Arizona 2. Syracuse 3. Ohio St. 4. Wisconsin 5. Michigan St. | See the rest here: http://on.si.com/193uQ0h
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...202/daily-word

Ron mentioned in this article for Most Significant Individual Achievement by Andy Katz
        In the same article, Andy Katz also listed Wichita State as one of 8 teams that could challenge for the national championship.

Comment

Too bad Ron was in the class of 2011.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Too bad Ron was in the class of 2011.
            That must be why he was a "steal"...

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
              Ron Baker will go down as one of the great recruiting steals of the high school class of 2012. He had a late growth spurt to 6-foot-3 and, before Wichita State swooped in, was a no-star prospect from Scott City, Kan., with offers from Eastern Illinois, Arkansas-Little Rock and South Dakota State (where he might have become the next Nate Wolters). After playing a big role in the Shockers' Final Four run last season, Baker has emerged as a star as a sophomore, scoring with a remarkable level of efficiency. His Offensive Rating of 140.3 (or 1.403 PPP) is seventh-highest in the nation among players using at least 20 percent of their team's possessions, according to kenpom.com.

@SInow: College Hoops Power Rankings: 1. Arizona 2. Syracuse 3. Ohio St. 4. Wisconsin 5. Michigan St. | See the rest here: http://on.si.com/193uQ0h
              Possessions for a team are usually calculated by formula [e.g, StatSheet uses FGAs - OffRebs + TOs + (.475*FTAs)]. Using the same formula for a player doesn't make sense to me, because two players would have the same number of possessions, but one would be taking a larger percentage of shots than the other:
              Player A 10 FGA - 0 OR + 0 TO + .475*0 FT) = 10 possessions in which he took 5 shots
              Player B 10 FGA - 5 OR + 0 TO + .475*0 FT) = 5 possessions in which he took 5 shots
              If the team had 50 possessions, Player A would qualify for consideration under the 20% rule, but Player B would not.

I wonder why they don't just use a simple standard, 20% of 40 minutes = 8 minute per game.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                Possessions for a team are usually calculated by formula [e.g, StatSheet uses FGAs - OffRebs + TOs + (.475*FTAs)]. Using the same formula for a player doesn't make sense to me, because two players would have the same number of possessions, but one would be taking a larger percentage of shots than the other:
                Player A 10 FGA - 0 OR + 0 TO + .475*0 FT) = 10 possessions in which he took 5 shots
                Player B 10 FGA - 5 OR + 0 TO + .475*0 FT) = 5 possessions in which he took 5 shots
                If the team had 50 possessions, Player A would qualify for consideration under the 20% rule, but Player B would not.

I wonder why they don't just use a simple standard, 20% of 40 minutes = 8 minute per game.
                Essentially what that means is that they END 20% or more of their team's possessions. So either by turning the ball over, or making or missing a shot. Offensive rebounds continue the possession.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

It's spreading: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400500015

While coach Gregg Marshall has taken comfort in knowing there isn't much Rob Baker can't do, that has become a difficult lesson for Wichita State opponents.

Comment

I loved him on The Price is Right. What a ladies man he was.

I think he will be as good as Jamie Perez
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                      That must be why he was a "steal"...
                      Yes, the Shocks "robbed the cradle," as the saying goes, getting him a year early -- all the other big boys thought he was part of the class of 2012, when in reality he was by then incubating in Dr. Marshall's laboratory, waiting to spring forth at exactly the right moment to help lead WSU to the Final Four.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

That's not how individual possessions are calculated. Individual possessions are scoring possessions + missed FG part + missed FT part + turnovers. Scoring possessions (made shots) and turnovers are simple. Missed field goals and free throws get messy and the offensive rebounding of the team has to be taken into account. Anyone who wants to go into this in great detail should read Basketball on Paper by Dean Oliver.

Comment

You can't buy the great publicity and comments the Shockers and our players (especially Baker) are getting now.

Comment

College Basketball Talk's Top 20 Most Improved Players

Could have sworn I saw this before, thus probably posted before, but it has been a slow week..

Prior to the season, every pundit for every outlet across the country will put together his or her list of players with the potential to have a breakout season.

Ron Baker, Wichita State: Ron Baker was a key role player for the Shockers last season. He’s turned into arguably their best player this year, a 6-foot-4 combo-guard averaging 15.3 points, 4.6 boards and 3.6 assists. Scouts that go to watch Cleanthony Early leave raving about Baker.

Comment

Predicting Biggest 2014 NBA Draft Sleepers

It is from BleacherReport, but I guess their NBA stuff is supposed to be better than the rest of the site.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                Predicting Biggest 2014 NBA Draft Sleepers

It is from BleacherReport, but I guess their NBA stuff is supposed to be better than the rest of the site.
                                It that comes to pass, we had better make the most of him this year. Will leave a huge hole in the lineup...

Comment

Working...
                                X