Good WSU column in Topeka paper by Kevin Haskin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good WSU column in Topeka paper by Kevin Haskin

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The basketball heritage at Wichita State continues to gain appreciation. At the College Basketball Experience, the sport’s history is presented in artifacts and displays. It is e…

Very well wriiten, and the part about KU and KSU was priceless!

Comment

When the Topeka media start taking jabs, you know everyone thinks it is bad.

Comment

Its getting to the point that KU and KSU not playing us is really making THEM LOOK BAD.

Comment

Yes. And screw them
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

So, if they now come knocking, what should WSU do?

1) Take the high road? Say sure. We want to practice what we preach and have all 3 of the Kansas D-I schools play each other (even though we know that if WSU were to so little as hit a bump in the road, they'd drop us like a hot potato).

2) Be more like they have been? No way. What's in it for us? You made your bed, so live with it. Why should we give you any kind of chance to knock us down and walk away again? We've got plenty of other quality teams and early season tournaments to play.

3) All three schools sign a long term agreement requiring K St and KU to alternately play WSU, at Koch, every year and WSU to do the same at Manhattan and Lawrence in alternate years.

4) Alternate between IBA and KC.

What say ye?

Comment

Ain't gonna happen.

Comment

I wouldn't be shocked if Weber takes a gamble and schedules us in the next couple years. KSU is tanking hard and soon will be unable to even pretend that they are the second best destination for in-state recruits. At that point, he finally has something to gain by adding WSU to the schedule.

The flipside is that a 25 point throttling at the hands of the Shockers would only hasten his demise. I still think the matchup is unlikely for this reason. The odds, however, are rising.

Comment

I hope when that call comes, AD Sexton and Coach Marshall put them on hold, and never pick back up.

Comment

I'd go for a 2 for 1. One game in Charles Koch Arena, one game in Intrust Bank Arena, and one game at the Sprint Center.

Comment

Screw 'em! For the simple reason that the games will likely be something less than the hype. They don't need us and we sure as hell don't need them.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                        I wouldn't be shocked if Weber takes a gamble and schedules us in the next couple years. KSU is tanking hard and soon will be unable to even pretend that they are the second best destination for in-state recruits. At that point, he finally has something to gain by adding WSU to the schedule.

The flipside is that a 25 point throttling at the hands of the Shockers would only hasten his demise. I still think the matchup is unlikely for this reason. The odds, however, are rising.
                        I doubt it, towards the end of the wooly era, K-State started demanding a 2 for 1 out of some claimed superiority....or the more real case, the shocks were rising and the cats were going no-where, and if they games weren't played, they could still claim they were better.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. I think it's still unlikely but the odds might now be something like 20%, whereas it's been steadily hovering at a goose egg for about a decade now.

KU will of course continue to thumb their noses until we sign the next Perry Ellis or two out of Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post

I actually would be surprised if Weber would schedule us. The perception that KSU is the second best team in the state is fading, and nothing would shatter it faster than the almost certain likelihood that we mop the court with them. Weber, and the KSU administration, will cling to that #2 perception as long as they possibly can. At any rate, it won't be very long until it is WSU that will be hesitant to schedule KSU because we don't want to take the RPI hit. Other BCS programs, such as Tennessee and Alabama, and strong non-BCS programs like SLU, are coming around to the realization that we are a strong opponent and a boost to their tournament resume win or lose, and they don't have a fragile ego and an in-state reputation to protect. We will move beyond scheduling KSU soon enough, whether they want to schedule us or not.

KU is another matter. I don't see us EVER playing them again, no matter how good we are. Out of principle, KU will not be bullied by the media or the legislature into playing us. Their ego and hubris goes well beyond any basketball court.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                              I actually would be surprised if Weber would schedule us. The perception that KSU is the second best team in the state is fading.
                              I think that KSU had a strong fanbase in Western Kansas - not so much anymore with the emergence of Ron "Shocker" Baker.

Comment

Working...
                              X