Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Team Chemistry - What's Missing This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Team Chemistry - What's Missing This Year?

It struck me the other day while watching the Tenn St game that this team is still struggling with its identity. Why is that? And I thought back to last year's team and how they came out of the chute ready to kick major butt. What was different about last year's team and this year aside from the obvious, Carl Hall and Malcolm Armstead?

And then I remembered that before the season started, 3G and the Shox had the opportunity to head south to Brazil for a series of games in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro against club teams and eventually the Brazilian national team. Marshall jumped at the opportunity and I think it played a significant role in preparing the team for the upcoming season by allowing them to play against competition in real games and the long road trip also contributed to bonding as a team.

I think that was further solidified by the chance to play in Hawaii and is probably why HCGM likes to play in those types of tournaments.

The final piece, IMHO, was the fact that Malcolm was a senior and last year was his ONLY chance to get to the dance.

So I think the next few weeks away from home will go a long way to helping this year's version of the Shox gain an identity and develop some real team chemistry. The leadership is there with FVV and Ron and the seniors will finally figure it out as well but I would not be shocked to see some heartbreaking losses between now and the middle of December once we start playing stronger competition. The losses will hurt but I'd much rather suffer them now than in March.

Go Shox!

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
    It struck me the other day while watching the Tenn St game that this team is still struggling with its identity. Why is that? And I thought back to last year's team and how they came out of the chute ready to kick major butt. What was different about last year's team and this year aside from the obvious, Carl Hall and Malcolm Armstead?

And then I remembered that before the season started, 3G and the Shox had the opportunity to head south to Brazil for a series of games in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro against club teams and eventually the Brazilian national team. Marshall jumped at the opportunity and I think it played a significant role in preparing the team for the upcoming season by allowing them to play against competition in real games and the long road trip also contributed to bonding as a team.

I think that was further solidified by the chance to play in Hawaii and is probably why HCGM likes to play in those types of tournaments.

The final piece, IMHO, was the fact that Malcolm was a senior and last year was his ONLY chance to get to the dance.

So I think the next few weeks away from home will go a long way to helping this year's version of the Shox gain an identity and develop some real team chemistry. The leadership is there with FVV and Ron and the seniors will finally figure it out as well but I would not be shocked to see some heartbreaking losses between now and the middle of December once we start playing stronger competition. The losses will hurt but I'd much rather suffer them now than in March.

Go Shox!
    I thought it was the year before last that we played in Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by bunck View Post
      I thought it was the year before last that we played in Brazil.
      You know, I think you're right. I was sure it was before last season started. Silly me.

Comment

Maybe I'm smoking crack, but I saw last year's team build gradual chemistry instead of coming out of the chute kicking butt. Yes, they won 9 games in a row to get the season started, but IMO it was the Southern Miss game, when we were down big at home and somehow gutted out a win, where the team really found its identity as scrappy, tough junk yard dogs. I think an argument can be made for the VCU game, but that Southern Miss game really sticks out in my mind. The guys rallied around each other when Carl, Evan, and Ron went down, and when we got Carl and Ron back we really started firing on all cylinders.

So with that said I agree that this year the team is still finding itself, but I'm not convinced that's a problem yet. What's missing this year? Maybe five more games.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

A little patience is required. Win the games you're supposed to win...build team chemistry...and strike in rich in March!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

It's not as if last years team came into the season with amazing chemistry either, Chemistry is either built or destroyed over time. In this case hopefully built.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Well, that's embarrassing, but I stand by my statement of needing to find themselves. I think Rocky is right, the VCU game seemed like a real watershed moment for them and losing key players seemed to really focus them and they rallied around one another. It was amazing to see the depth we had last year and that to me was when it became apparent. But I do recall watching the video of the teams walking into their rooms in Hawaii and being stoked they were there. I think there's a lot to be said for a long road trip like that to get a team going. Perhaps we'll see that here in the next two weeks.

Comment

Well, that's embarrassing, but I stand by my statement of needing to find themselves. I think Rocky is right, the VCU game seemed like a real watershed moment for them and losing key players seemed to really focus them and they rallied around one another. It was amazing to see the depth we had last year and that to me was when it became apparent. But I do recall watching the video of the teams walking into their rooms in Hawaii and being stoked they were there. I think there's a lot to be said for a long road trip like that to get a team going. Perhaps we'll see that here in the next two weeks.
                I hate to break this to you but I think they played in Mexico .... not Hawaii

Comment

It's you.

We just need our bigs getting more games behind them with some HC3GM love at practice.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Winning builds chemistry. In 06-07 through the first 9 games we supposedly had great chemistry. Then some elements got mixed and the covalent bonds were broken and we ended up with a laboratory fire.

Last year we had a 9-0 start and this chemist was able to keep the reaction going through the rough times.

Comment

What's missing?????? "L's"
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I think you saw some pretty good chemistry tonight.

Darius was injured and Kadeem got into foul trouble but CJ stepped up big time.
                        Team went small with Evan playing the 4 and he gave a big contribution.
                        CLE had a quiet 12 points and 9 rebounds but each of his robounds was key
                        Ron and FVV - if they had any more chemistry between them they would be a two headed, 4 armed monster
                        And Tekele is the gorilla glue/super glue/elmer's wood glue that is always there when things might start to come a bit unraveled..

And they did all of this on their first road trip.... I feel much better after tonight.
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Interesting stat (IMO) over the last 4 games:

We have had 1 big run in each of those games. Those 4 runs total just over 45 minutes and we have put up 133 points while allowing only 59.

That means we have scored 43% of our points in only 28% of the playing time.

In the remaining 115 minutes, WSU 174, opponents 177.

Comment

I t struck me the other day while watching the Tenn St game that this team is still struggling with its identity. Why is that? And I thought back to last year's team and how they came out of the chute ready to kick major butt. What was different about last year's team and this year aside from the obvious, Carl Hall and Malcolm Armstead?

Go Shox!
                            Do not ever force don't color to white. Not everyone has the same color scheme, especially mobile.

Lots of bluster here without fact checking. Are you Bob Lutz? Chemistry will come. It is November.
                            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Well I know I'm like a reporter in many respects...why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Working...
                              X