Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSU versus William and Mary predictions and pregame discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sharing anything new here, but in case anyone has forgotten, here is a referee website with lots of good information (conferences covered, teams covered, etc.). Pretty interesting to see how many games these guys do. Last season, Higgins did 11 games in the span of 13 games in late February/early March...and it was only in the last couple of those days that he was in the same place (Arch Madness). Lots of travel for these guys. You wonder how they can be ready to go night in and night out. It has to be a physical and mental drain.

78-65

Comment

Best Quote:

"William & Mary Coach Tony Shaver kept signaling for a timeout, frantically bouncing up and down the sideline, unable to get an official's attention over the roar inside Koch Arena. It took him a good 15 seconds to finally get the game stopped."

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        William & Mary called a Timeout with 11:38 remaining, after the Lufile steal and jam. The spread was 13, and the Shox were close to running away with the game. Their coach spent the first 30 seconds of the timeout chewing out the refs. The refs then huddled at half court and talked for the remainder of the timeout.

Between 11:38 and 6:13 in the game, W&M had 10 possessions. 2 resulted in Turnovers. 8 Defensive fouls were called against WSU. The refs gave W&M a full 5 and a half minutes to catch WSU, and they gained 1 point.

If you're only going to gain 1 point when the game is being called that way, maybe you shouldn't complain about the officiating and should just be glad to get out without getting boat-raced.
        Excellent observation! :good:

Regarding the refs, I think it's customary in non-conference games for the visiting team's conference is responsible for providing the officials. I know I heard that a few years ago, but can't recall who said it. Probably Mike Kennedy.

Comment

Maybe this coach was just grasping at straws making up stuff in order to try and keep his team's fragile confidence from crumbling after losing by 17?

Kinda like when you have to tell your kid he's fast when he got torched by a guy slower than #22 on William and Mary.

When I was a kid I had a recurring nightmare that I was trying to run desperately away from a bad guy, but no matter how fast I ran, I was just stuck going in very slow motion. Every step I took I just sort of hung in the air and I couldn't get my feet on the ground to push off for the next step. I think what was really happening as a kid is I was just foretelling the nightmare that #22 is living. Poor guy.

Did you see how freaking slow that dude was? They were on offense and he was at a full sprint, head bowed forward -- trying desperately to summon that last little bit of stunning speed -- while Lufile was BACKPEDALING and leaving him in the dust.

Put it this way, in a 440 yard sprint Stutz would have lapped this guy.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Maybe this coach was just grasping at straws making up stuff in order to try and keep his team's fragile confidence from crumbling after losing by 17?

Kinda like when you have to tell your kid he's fast when he got torched by a guy slower than #22 on William and Mary.

When I was a kid I had a recurring nightmare that I was trying to run desperately away from a bad guy, but no matter how fast I ran, I was just stuck going in very slow motion. Every step I took I just sort of hung in the air and I couldn't get my feet on the ground to push off for the next step. I think what was really happening as a kid is I was just foretelling the nightmare that #22 is living. Poor guy.

Did you see how freaking slow that dude was? They were on offense and he was at a full sprint, head bowed forward -- trying desperately to summon that last little bit of stunning speed -- while Lufile was BACKPEDALING and leaving him in the dust.

Put it this way, in a 440 yard sprint Stutz would have lapped this guy.
            I just assumed his hair blocked him from seeing where he wanted to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
              I just assumed his hair blocked him from seeing where he wanted to go.
              His hair wasn't always in front of his face. Be glad you never saw that. Looked like Korver's mom.

Comment

Funny moment in the W&M game:

It's the first half. #23 on W&M just got his 3rd foul. The coach was complaining so quickly after the whistle that he didn't hear the announcement or bother to look up to see who the foul was on.

#23 walks over to the lane to line up for the free throws.

The coach is jack jawing with a ref. #23 looks at the mid line to see who is going to check in for him.

... and jack jawing... #23 looks over again, but nobody there to sub in for him. Cle (or whoever it was shooting) shoots up the first throw.

... and jack jawing ... #23 looks back at the bench but nobody is checking in. Cle shoots the second free throw and it goes in.

W&M player is walking over to get the ball to inbound it.

The coach finally stops blabbing with a ref and W&M's assistant grabs his coat and tells him that #23 has his 3rd foul. The coach has an epileptic seizure because he hasn't sent anybody to check in. He barks out a name without giving it any thought at all. A kid flies up with full warmups on and is tripping over his own legs trying desperately to get his bottoms off and check in before play begins. He fumbles around and yells at the table that he's checking in, throwing clothing off the court while he's running in.

It was comedy capers over there.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Sometimes the Shocker crowd can rattle a team. Sometimes it inspires an opponent to play their best. On occasion it can rattle a coach. Could be that is what happened last night although the crowd really wasn't into the game until late in the 1st half.

Comment

Working...
                  X