X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane ride to Evansville

I heard it was pretty hairy.

Originally posted by Ramon Clemente
    I'm happy to be alive after that crazy ass plane ride. That was the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

After reading CGM and Clemente leaving practice yesterday because they were sick, Did they both make the trip to Evansville?

We need Ramon to play very much.

Comment

Great. Add this one to our list of unfortunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
        After reading CGM and Clemente leaving practice yesterday because they were sick, Did they both make the trip to Evansville?

We need Ramon to play very much.
        Considering he's quoted above you complaining about the plane ride to Evansville..... I'd say he went to Evansville.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I bet they encountered some bad weather

Comment

Craig Steven was on KGSO this morning with Terrell and Chris from Indiana, and I think he said something about Ramon spending a lot of time in the 'back' of the plane (probably the restroom due to being sick?) but overall was feeling better. I think it was because of turbulance.

Also, he said coach Marshall was having a good time with the guys, asking the stewardess to turn out the cabin lights, and then he turned on some flashing red lights or something--it wasn't real clear, but what I did get was that he was joking around with the team and their spirits seemed good. I just think the rough ride didn't agree with Ramon...

I'm glad he made it there though. We do need him.

Comment

Kinda of off topic but I'd love to hear some horrowing in-flight stories from our posters. Do any of you have a personal story of interest?

I was once in a C-130 flying form Iowa to Fort Polk, La where we were to rig in flight and over Arkansas the aircrafts nose cone and something important in the instrumentation was struck by lightning. The strike sent a bolt of lightnig down the anchor line cable followed by a large degree of static over the intercom and the the load master telling us something bad had happened and to rig up becuase we might have to depart the aricraft early of our intended drop zone. The aircraft pilots must have been very skillful because we divereted to Little Rock, landed safely, and waited for a new aircraft that once arrived returned us to Iowa. The ride back in a CH-47 was not nearly as quick nor as comfortable. All other flights (military & civilian) in my life have been, thankfully, uneventful except for the occasional bought of turbulence.

Here's to Ramon feeling better. :bball_spin:

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi :good:

Go Shocks!!!!
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I don't have any, but will relate a story of a friend of mine.

Going through security he was wanded. Having some metal in his chest, the alarm went off. They asked him to remove his shirt out in the open in front of everyone. He made a stink about it. A fed arrived and told the TSA folks to let it go and let him board.

When he got to his seat he noticed right away that there was an air marshall already seated behind him.

When the plane landed the marshall followed him off and was then met by two additional marshalls. The three marshalls led him away to a room where a full strip search was done. They also took his laptop and in the span of 15 minutes disassembled it, reassembled it and downloaded all the data from his hard drive before returning it.

All of this because of an earlier medical issue and not wanting to partially disrobe in front of a bunch of people.

I know it wasn't an "in flight" ordeal, but still rather unsettling.

Comment

Bruce Heartl said he flies about 50 times per year and that this was the worst (scariest) flight he has EVER been on. He said they pulled out of their initial decent at about 300 feet (he asked the pilot after they landed) and circled before finally landing safely. The pilot said he pulled out of the initial decent because of heavy wind shears. Good job by the pilots, but you wonder if they should of even attempted this flight last night with the lousy whether going on.

Evansville is only about an 1:15 flight form Wichita. No doubt someone looked at the radar and made the call to go ahead a fly out last night.

Second guessing is easy, but I think a good rule of thumb on charter flights is do not take any chances at all. A Flight this morning would have been in very calm weather and much safer and would have gotten the team to Evansville in plenty of time.

A basketball game certainly is not worth taking undue risks. Thank goodness it all worked out.

So glad they made it safe and sound.

:goshocks:

Comment

I was on a commercial flight from ICT to ORD once.

Shortly after take-on and climbing to altitude, the cabin started filling with smoke. By the time the Captain made a circle to return to ICT, the cabin was completely smoke filled. It had the smell of an electrical fire.

Passengers were running up and down the aisle and screaming at flight attendants, just like in the movies.

For some reason I will never know, I was completely calm. I never felt a sense of panic, even though perhaps I should have. I suppose I thought we were only a few miles from the terminal, so surely we could limp back home.

The most memorable aspect of the incident was the mass hysteria of the passengers.

We landed safely at ICT and the flight was cancelled.

Also, I have three other stories involving single and twin engine aircraft. The tales are about St. Elmo's fire over Pennsylvania in a vicious thunder storm, a single engine landing job in high gusts of wind at Hays, KS and a fill-in pilot putting our 421 on auto pilotl, while he napped. I am not making any of this up.

Comment

My worst flight ever was when I was flying from Chicago back to the promise land, Wichita. The pilot was a woman (go figure) and it was the roughest flight I have ever been on. As we came in for a landing we were going way to fast hit the runway and went straight back up in the air. We finally made it back safely. Also one time as I was waiting to take of from Atlanta. The airport heard there might be a bomb on board in some luggage. So on the runway they unloaded all luggage. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal except for the wind. When they opened up all the luggage and people's clothes were flying everywhere. Luckily all of my clothes were in my carry on bag or else ild of been pissed. But take that for what its worth.
                      J

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                        Bruce Heartl said he flies about 50 times per year and that this was the worst (scariest) flight he has EVER been on. He said they pulled out of their initial decent at about 300 feet (he asked the pilot after they landed) and circled before finally landing safely. The pilot said he pulled out of the initial decent because of heavy wind shears. Good job by the pilots, but you wonder if they should of even attempted this flight last night with the lousy whether going on.

Evansville is only about an 1:15 flight form Wichita. No doubt someone looked at the radaqr and made the call to go ahead a fly out last night.

Second guessing is easy, but I think a good rule of thumb on charter flights is do not take any chances at all. A Flight this morning would have been in very calm weather and much safer and would have gotten the team to Evansville in plenty of time.

A basketball game certainly is not worth taking undue risks. Thank goodness it all worked out.

Without getting into details, reading this post scared the living "you know what" out of me and also brought back some very bad personal memories.
                        Depending on your age, it might be best to entirely avoid this thread... I'm going to do my best to shut it out of my memory.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
                          Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Evansville is only about an 1:15 flight form Wichita. No doubt someone looked at the radaqr and made the call to go ahead a fly out last night.

Without getting into details, reading this post scared the living "you know what" out of me and also brought back some very bad personal memories.
                          Depending on your age, it might be best to entirely avoid this thread... I'm going to do my best to shut it out of my memory.
                          We had great company pilots. "Safety first, safety always" was their motto.
                          We always flew around "it", unless the weather was unexpected, like the damn Pennsylvania trip.

Comment

Passengers were running up and down the aisle and screaming at flight attendants, just like in the movies.
                            I know RDR and back in the 70's anyone running up and down the isles were the flight attendants trying to get away from him.

He was generally tanked up and wearing a leisure suit.........

............................trying to make the mile high club.
                            Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

When I was a kid I was on a plane from Dallas to Miami that a guy tried to hijack. He got "I've got a grenade" out of his mouth before five FBI agents tackled the crap out of him. Something tells me he let the cat out of the bag a little too early!

Comment

Working...
                              X