Garret's Game Feb 05 vs Oak Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garret's Game Feb 05 vs Oak Park

Oak Park won by 12 (forgot to write down final score, something like 50-38 )

Garret's Stats:
    4-7 from the field, 0-2 from 3pt, 7-12 free throws, 8 rebounds (1 offensive), 3 blocks, 1 steal, 6 turnovers, 0 assists, 1 goaltending, 3 fouls (1 offensive), played all 32 minutes.

Score by 1/4ters:

OP - NKC - GS
    15 - 4 - 2
    23 - 19 - 9
    31 - 27 - 12
    50? - 38? - 15

Analysis (eg: my opinions):
    1st 1/4 only got 2 touches, 1 lefty layup and got the ball stolen standing 10 feet out - didn't see guard coming to help. Got 1 block totally flat footed. Got beat on a drive to the baseline from 15ft out, could have pressed dribbler more to the baseline, but there was no lowside help anyway.

Got called for charging on drive down baseline, didn't finish strong. Could have been no-call but the guy's just huge compared to the defender and that move _looks_ like a charge.

First half didn't 'call' for the ball enough, every inside move should have a hand up for a target - he did this much more effectively in the second half.

Turnovers: one was a dropped 3/4 court pass that was near the rim (not really his fault), had ball stolen by guard when back was to basket, caught a lob entry and brought the ball down in trying to 1 step to the rim and the ball got pulled out, maybe 2 bad passes that were stolen.

Field goal makes: 3 lefty layups, 1 righty layup off 1 dribble drive for a successful and-1. Misses: 3ptr from 15 degrees off top of key in 2nd quarter was rushed and not in flow, 3ptr in 3rd quarter near top of key was smooth and in-and-out, it looked good on the way and I can usually call them from wherever I sit. 10 foot jumper from baseline was an airball. So the combined distance of the 4 makes was about 8 feet.

NKC doesn't run a 'get it to Garret' offense, seems to be a normal motion offence with 3 guards and 2 interior players, sometimes this offense pulls Garret out 15 ft from the basket. He was good at catch and look to pass, but no assists (had chance for 3 assists but teammates missed the shot), maybe a little slow on some passes but he is a highschooler. A lot of the team mates caught - looked - looked - looked then tried to force a pass (and never a bounce entry pass). 2 occations he caught the ball at the corner freethrow line, turned to face basket for pass, drove past his defender and scored or (often) got fouled. He also had a nice 1 dribble spin from about 8 feet out - didn't finish as 3 OP players fouled him. I thought some of the time he needed to 'flash' to the ball side of the lane quicker. OP played good hands-up defense and eliminated passing lanes well while putting pressure on the NKC guards. I can only recall about 5 lob entry passes and 1 alley oop pass (it clanged off the rim - Garret had no chance). I also noticed a lot of occations where the guards passed around the perimeter opposite of Garrets move. He would be left moving to right baseline and the guards would be rotating the ball away from him.

OP didn't double team except on inbounds. They consistently had interior players pushing on him. 3 guys from 6'4 to 6'5 shared covering him. Anytime he got the ball inside they collapsed to double/triple him. Suprising to me that a few times vs. double team he was able to 1 dribble drive toward the hoop effectively but had trouble finishing.

He left all of the freethrow misses short. 1 just grazed the rim.

He did have a nice block jumping over his own player to swat it away.

I've read some glowing reviews of his play in other games, this is the only time I've seen him play and I assume that he was not at his best. I would guess he was pacing himself early (as would be a smart thing to do when you play the whole game) but he did always run (not jog) the court. So any of my 'needs more hustle' or 'didn't finish strong' type of critisisms above are tempered by that. Of the guys on the court (both teams) he looked to have his head in the game the most, looked like he knew what to do when he had the ball, and listened intently to the coach. He didn't appear overly frustrated when a shot or call didn't go his way.
    I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Thanks for your report!!!
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

You may have watched his worst game in quite a while with that line.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

I was also at the game.
        Sat with Garretts Dad.
        Garretts Dad said thats the worst hes ever played.

It was just an ugly game.
        I think garrett touched the ball on offense like twice int he 3rd quarter.
        NKC pt guard is a huge ball hog.
        There were a lot of possesions where garret was open and he looked at him and dribbled it else where or passed it around the 3 pt line.

Garrett could have gotten in a rhythm perhaps if he got some touches.
        I think a few of those shots were off rebounds.
        they seriously did not pass him the ball.
        It was sad.

Garrett was not happy after the game.
        Someone in the crowd told me that this is how Oak Park Plays every game, slow and physical.

The guards on garretts team are pretty bad.
        Garrett almost had two pretty awesome dunks but got fouled both times.

I think garretts team scored like 5 pts int he 3rd quarter and 4 in the 1st.
        it was poor.
        and i mean really all they had to do was pass it to garrett.
        and they didnt.
        the other players turned the ball over a lot.

the other forward got trapepd on the 3 pt line quite a few times and i guess didnt realize that if your being doubleteamed someone is open.
        a few times that was garrett and he didnt pass it.

It was an ugly game.
        I cant really say anything decisive about garrett.
        But i know hes better.

I am hoping he gains about 30 pounds before next season that will suit him well.

After the game garrett came over and talked to us for a bit and thanked us for coming.
        he didnt talk too much he seemed really frustrated.

A cool thing i noticed is that,
        Garretts Dad didnt tell him it was all ok.
        He told him that he had a bad game.
        and just openly told him the truth.
        The kids got a good head on his shoulders.
        and bill is a great influence.

Seemed like Garrett just was letting it get to him mentally.
        I think he was frustrated in being open and not getting the ball.
        The game was slow.
        Oak park held the ball at least 35 seconds almost every possesion.

and while garrett didnt call for the ball that much.
        This teams offense should be, get garrett the ball.
        IMO he should touch it every offensive possesion.

The point guard has a serious spotlight problem.
        in the last like 2 mins of the game i think he maybe passed it twice.

I think garrett needs to get stronger. and i know he will, because hes a hard worker.

PS... It was nice to meet you shockerinkc
        "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
        CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Everyone has up and down games, what is important is that he learns from them, and maintains his positive attitude.

Hearing the comments about the guard play up there surprises me a bit, since Jim Hinrich's son, Kirk, is an outstanding guard. If they are double teaming Garrett, and collapsing a 3rd on him, it would seem like other players would be open.

I think with Garrett's attitude, and Kerry's strengthening program, that Garrett will make great strides next year. Plus our coaching staff will bring him along.

Comment

I left out my opionion of Garret vs. Greg Drieling (sp?) who I also watched play City League ball.

I remember Greg being pretty 1 dimensional - tall. Kapaun guards would lob it to him and he'd turn and shoot 3 footers. He'd block shots and rebound flat footed. Didn't look coordinated, didn't always run the court. Greg was good enough for City League and did well enough at WSU, better at that other school and had a short pro carreer.

Garret is almost night and day to that. He runs the court, is a part of the offense, and is active on defense. There's learning and strenghening needed, and he needs (much, much) better guards on his team.

I wholly agree with your analysis of NKC guard play RipEmUp... Garret probably only got 2 - 3 touches in the 4th quarter on passes from guards.

Garret was really only doubled after he caught a pass or on inbounds. Crisper perimiter passing by the guards would open up the inside for entry passes. NKC had no outside game at all, so that makes it tough to have open passing lanes.

Comment

Please do not compare Stuz to Greg Dreiling. Dreling's "pretty short" NBA career lasted 10 seasons.

I would be happy if Stuz made all valley once.

Comment

I went to his game also, and all i wanna add is He has a really sweet spin move when he is on the top of key, the thing i can compare it to is Dirk Nowitki from the dallas mavs
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
                  Please do not compare Stuz to Greg Dreiling. Dreling's "pretty short" NBA career lasted 10 seasons.
                  At hundred of thousands $$$$ per year!!
                  By the way...which one's Pink?
                  MTXE

Comment

Originally posted by wingbob
                    At hundred of thousands $$$$ per year!!
                    OK, so I didn't remember how long he played pro. I did see him play HS ball dozens of times (although it was long ago). He was bulkier than GS is now which was an advantage, but the guy had limited moves.

Comment

Man relax, I think he was comparing GD during high school to Stutz. Why is this not fair? Pretty sure he didn't say anything along the lines of Stutz is going to be better than GD was in college. Just compared the two at highschool level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town

Man relax, I think he was comparing GD during high school to Stutz. Why is this not fair? Pretty sure he didn't say anything along the lines of Stutz is going to be better than GD was in college. Just compared the two at highschool level.
                        Ta Town must have been crom Kaupen.
                        prolly a notre dame fan too.
                        they have spotlight problems those Notre Damers.
                        "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                        CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

By the way, the kid's name is Stutz, law. I for one don't expect anyone named "Stuz" to make all-Valley any time soon.

Meanwhile, your observation and expectations tell us all we need to know about why Marshall makes big bucks coaching and you don't. Thanks for your evaluation, which is worth what we paid for it, but I'll trust Marshall's talent judgment over yours any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town

I watched Greg Dreiling play several times in high school. I fondly recall a particular game where KMC played Heights… Carr vs. Dreiling. Several hall of fame coaches were in attendance. Dreiling was very average in that game and I wasn’t overly impressed. Of course Carr thoroughly dominated him with a plethora of tomahawk dunks… oh; I do miss the Dr. of Dunk. Dreiling wasn’t a bean pole by any means; however he was a 7’1” stiff that particular year (possibly his sophomore year?). Dreiling continued to make good progress his first year playing alongside AC, Cliff & X before transferring to KU. He really benefited from the red-shirt year in Lawrence.

From the video’s I’ve seen (I’m no expert in judging talent), Garrett has a very good chance of becoming a better player than Dreiling… he has better foot work (foot speed), and a softer shooting touch. Yes, Dreiling could ram it home with ease like most 7 footers, but I don’t recall him doing much beyond 5’ of the basket... especially in high school.

It’s too bad Marshall won’t have the luxury of red-shirting Garrett the first year to allow him to gain 30#’s and further develop into his large frame (which is very new to him). Greg Dreiling was very clumsy and it took him a lot of time and work to adjust to his huge frame. Had Dreiling been 6’10” he most likely wouldn’t have sniffed the court at any high level D-1 programs in the early 80’s.

What I like about Garrett over Dreiling is that he spent most of his development years playing one of the guard positions. I’m not sure Dreiling even played basketball before high school? If he did, it’s obvious that he only played under the basket. For this reason, I believe that Garrett Stutz has more upside than Greg Dreiling. Potential is the key word and time will tell.

Oh, and I too would be happy if he made all Valley at least once. I’m not sure Dreiling ever made first team All Big 8 (I’m too lazy to look it up). Yes, I’m very excited to see Garrett in the black and gold, but we all need to be careful about anointing him the next Bill Walton.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Ditto, WstateU.

I think I saw all of the Dreiling / Carr games, too. And I have the same memories of Carr totally dominating. But that was AC's game.

I recall a story in the Eagle (or was it the Beacon) where GD was taking dance classes at KU to gain coordination. It obviously worked for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X