2008-2009 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks771
    Coach Penders did not really enjoy his trip up here for the NIT a few years ago. I think you can add Houston to the list of teams that we will never see again in Koch Arena, at least as long as Penders is still there.
    I thought I read that he thought the crowd and atmosphere was great, and that he would love to play in an atmosphere like that again. Again, I could be wrong...

I agree to an extent about the UMBC comment, but think as we continue to rise, we will find more higher RPI teams to play to help bolster a tournament resume, rather than our W-L.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
      Coach Penders did not really enjoy his trip up here for the NIT a few years ago. I think you can add Houston to the list of teams that we will never see again in Koch Arena, at least as long as Penders is still there.
      I thought I read that he thought the crowd and atmosphere was great, and that he would love to play in an atmosphere like that again. Again, I could be wrong...

I agree to an extent about the UMBC comment, but think as we continue to rise, we will find more higher RPI teams to play to help bolster a tournament resume, rather than our W-L.
      Personally, I'd rather have us go 22-8 in the regular season playing a bunch of scrubs, than going 17-13 with a few good wins over decent RPI teams.
      A good tournament resume usually involves a good W-L record. A high RPI can mean nothing - example: Missouri State
      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929

Personally, I'd rather have us go 22-8 in the regular season playing a bunch of scrubs, than going 17-13 with a few good wins over decent RPI teams.
        A good tournament resume usually involves a good W-L record. A high RPI can mean nothing - example: Missouri State
        Also, a good win loss record can mean nothing, even combined with a high RPI - example Missouri State.

The Missouri State thing has taught most of the Valley that while they may lose them and hurt their tourney chances, they must play a high quality schedule to get the nod over a team that did.

I'm not saying schedule like SIU and Gonzaga did in a year they knew they were going to be down, but especially in good years, but should play more teams that will look good on a resume.

Comment

The Missouri State thing has taught most of the Valley that while they may lose them and hurt their tourney chances, they must play a high quality schedule to get the nod over a team that did.
          Well, Drake played a terrible non-conf schedule this season. I guess the easiest way to climb the polls and get a bid is to play a bunch of terrible teams and then never lose a game in conference. :good:
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I doubt Penders would let us in to Houston to take even more recruits away from him. SMU and TCU may be in the same boat, but I'd love to see us play more in Tejas
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Playing SMU and Doherty wouldn't suck.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Well, Drake played a terrible non-conf schedule this season. I guess the easiest way to climb the polls and get a bid is to play a bunch of terrible teams and then never lose a game in conference. :good:
                KU did it in football. It took them all the way to the Orange Bowl.

Comment

Darn right. But it is boring watching the Shockers play crappy teams. Drake this year atleast played there big teams in their state like Iowa and Iowa St.

I wouldn't even complain about going and playing North Texas, Texas State, Texas-Arlington or UTEP. I think just playing in Texas would help our recruiting a lot. Just Houston, TCU, or UTEP look better on the schedule.
                  Shocker Forever!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerWheelSU
                    Darn right. But it is boring watching the Shockers play crappy teams. Drake this year atleast played there big teams in their state like Iowa and Iowa St.

I wouldn't even complain about going and playing North Texas, Texas State, Texas-Arlington or UTEP. I think just playing in Texas would help our recruiting a lot. Just Houston, TCU, or UTEP look better on the schedule.
                    Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                      Postseason play in football and basketball is apples and oranges, and every casual sports fan knows that.

A good record only gets you into the tournament if it's a REALLY good record (i.e. Drake).

Finish our non-con schedule with only 1 loss but playing no one gets us nothing in terms of post-season credibility. We'd still be looking at running the table in the Valley to have a solid chance, and you can never bank on that.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                      X