No announcement yet.

Myth Busting With Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Ricky. An excellent analysis. There can be quibbling with the individual ratings, but I think the same general conclusions would be drawn under any rational analysis.

The recency argument may have some validity. But I don't think the "numbers" criticism holds up. To me, the concept of the "cupboard bare" is that there was nothing here when the coach left. If the coach left only one great "5" player, would that mean he had left the cupboard full?

BTW, just reading those names was a trip down memory lane. I can see every one of those guys out on the court. Thanks.
    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Someone I consider a friend used to regularly state "speak with facts..."

Very well said Sir!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

RRShock, you stated, "Turgeon's numbers are inflated based on sheer number of bodies left. Thompsom, by the averages, left the best class, even though he only left 6."

Not sure how you should factor in number of bodies left, but it would definitely seem to me to be a plus, not a minus.

Also, isn't Clemente also a Turgeon recruit?

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
          Also, isn't Clemente also a Turgeon recruit?
          Sort of. Clemente didn't commit until after the coaching change.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
            Someone I consider a friend used to regularly state "speak with facts..."

Very well said Sir!
            I didn't think facts were allowed on internet fan sites. I thought it was reserved for mindless complaining and bickering between posters.

Another reason why ShockerNet is the best! :posterwu:

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker
              Fun to read, but I would have to agree to disagree on the rankings. One that sticks out to me is Claudius Johnson only a three and JT Durley a 4 already. Oh well, thanks for the fun.
              I agree. Claudius was not that bad.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Does anybody have a good site with archival records for the Shox from 1986-2008?

Comment

I think Clemente would fall into the same category as Jason Perez for Thompson. He was definitely a Turgeon recruit and had verbally committed but not signed with WSU, as I recall.
                  Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                    Does anybody have a good site with archival records for the Shox from 1986-2008?
                    you have no idea how bad I would want to see that.

But from extensive google searching I havent found anything.

Boxscores, Rosters, Stats anything would be awesome

Comment

As Borat says,

veddy niiiice

Comment

While the effort is to be commended, aside from some scoring discrepancies I would see, there's also a lot more variables (obviously, it would be nearly impossible to numerically quantify them all).

Such as: what positions were left for the previous coaches? It could be said that Marshall wasn't left a true SG (Ogirri left, recruits bailed). Was the previous team a "winner" or a "loser" at the time the previous coach left?

Then, of course, are things outside this thread such as how different a system do the two coaches preach?
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                          Originally posted by vbird53
                          you have no idea how bad I would want to see that.

But from extensive google searching I havent found anything.

Boxscores, Rosters, Stats anything would be awesome
                          It's all in the media guide that is put out each season. But I don't have them right now. I'd love to see the media guide be put on goshockers.com

Comment

Questions/Comments:

Bonds – Are you sure he played for Cohen and didn’t already transfer to CSU?

Mendelson – Again, I’m not sure he ever played for Cohen and transferred to Adams St or some other D2. Also 2 ratings is too generous.

John Smith – Did he play for Thompson or already transferred to VCU/VMI?

Wiggins – Definitely not 0; I’d rate at least 2.

Goolsby – No way a 4; I’d say 2.

Marvin Hill – 0??? I’d give him at least a 3 before transferring out.

Benton – At best 4.

Mack – Ditto

Comment

What it also shows is that once Brauer was lost, this team had no different talent level the other teams in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                                Questions/Comments:

Bonds – Are you sure he played for Cohen and didn’t already transfer to CSU?

Mendelson – Again, I’m not sure he ever played for Cohen and transferred to Adams St or some other D2. Also 2 ratings is too generous.

John Smith – Did he play for Thompson or already transferred to VCU/VMI?

Wiggins – Definitely not 0; I’d rate at least 2.

Goolsby – No way a 4; I’d say 2.

Marvin Hill – 0??? I’d give him at least a 3 before transferring out.

Benton – At best 4.

Mack – Ditto
                                Bonds and Mendlson are in the media guide as being on Coach Cohen's roster for the '89-'90 season.

Per the media guide, John Smith was on Coach Thompson's roster for the '92-'93 season.

Comment

Working...
                                X